• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2021 11:29 pm
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
52 posts
37 upvotes
Vaughan, ON

[help] mice getting into the backyard through under the fence

my next neighbor doesn't take care of his backyard and it has become a wonderland for mickey mouse. i found one day those mice dug holes under the fence board and entered my backyard and killed the grass along the fence. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with the same issue before. How to block the hole or kill the mice outdoor effectively. thanks
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5740 posts
3568 upvotes
Mice can climb , and squeeze through an opening the size of a dime. It’s hard enough to keep them out of your house. Keeping them out of a backyard would be impossible

Best you can do is ensure there is nothing in your backyard that makes a good nesting area. Have no food , and piles of wood or garbage. If you have a deck , it will be hard to keep them from nesting under there.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2017
52 posts
37 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
fdl wrote: Mice can climb , and squeeze through an opening the size of a dime. It’s hard enough to keep them out of your house. Keeping them out of a backyard would be impossible

Best you can do is ensure there is nothing in your backyard that makes a good nesting area. Have no food , and piles of wood or garbage. If you have a deck , it will be hard to keep them from nesting under there.
i found them eating the grass seeds i put down at the corner where they got in. now that bare spot is getting bigger. it's very distressful.
Dec 4, 2009
489 posts
377 upvotes
Make one of those trap door bucket traps, there are some great YouTube how to videos…. Catch 30 in 1 night! Relocate them as needed…Winking Face
Last edited by Todd96srv on Jul 7th, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7873 posts
3740 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Todd96srv wrote: Relocate them as needed…Winking Face
Or if you have a cat, all the entertainment it needs!
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5927 posts
5106 upvotes
I suggest you first do some research about mice what you're suggesting is quite ridiculous, stop blaming your neighbour. Mice are part of nature just like squirrels - they're going to be outdoor regardless - you cannot get rid of them - they can fit into the size of dime. Nor are they killing your grass - that's quite silly. If they're outside leave them alone. If they were entering your house (which they would not be doing this time of year) then that's another thing. It's your fault for not knowing how to overseed your lawn properly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7873 posts
3740 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Be grateful we don't have these

Appears to happen every few years
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Nov 10, 2019
540 posts
500 upvotes
I too saw mice but grew a ton of herbs (mostly basil) and haven't seen them since. They have very sensitive noses so I found this to be the most natural way keeping them away.
Mar 9, 2019
214 posts
109 upvotes
You sure there not voles? they look very similar and need a different approach then mice.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1823 posts
415 upvotes
Omg , you are worried about a mouse killing you grass and digging a hole under your fence? Sounds like a first world problem.
Why not put up a mouse trap with some yummy skippy peanut butter.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1573 posts
1027 upvotes
Barrie ON
lostlsend wrote: my next neighbor doesn't take care of his backyard and it has become a wonderland for mickey mouse. i found one day those mice dug holes under the fence board and entered my backyard and killed the grass along the fence. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with the same issue before. How to block the hole or kill the mice outdoor effectively. thanks
Have you actually seen mice, or are you just speculating on what caused the damage?

A mouse would not have to dig a hole to get under any fence (they can fit under/through almost any opening). If there are holes being dug, it may be rats, or rabbits. If you are just seeing your grass dying along the fence line, then perhaps your neighbor sprayed with Roundup, or you have a white grub infestation.

It could be caused by anything, with mice being towards the bottom of the suspect list.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)