[OP]
Apr 27, 2016
95 posts
15 upvotes

help with minor variance

Hi,
looking for some advice here.

background info
I want to renovate my house by expanding it in the back and on the side. back is to extend to 25 ft, and side is to align with the current house's frontier (1.5m from my neighbours).

My house is about 30 years old, and I guess at the time it was built. The builder somehow was able to build with 1.5m apart from my neighbours.

I hired an architect to do the permits, design and etc. City replied saying hearing is next week, and city propose to reject our idea of expanding to the back and to the side.

City only allows 1.8m on the side vs 1.5m and 18 ft vs 25ft to the back.

my architect wrote a letter to the city saying that there are houses on my street with the same back length and side length as me. But we also got a letter from our counselor that he supports city's decision.

I dont want to settle with what city is offered to me.

is there something else i can do here?

thank you in advance.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1418 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
What City is the house in?

Are the side lots from property line? Ie. 1.8m from property line? Or from house to house.

What's your rear lot setback and remaining rear lot area?

What's your lot coverage, I feel like with this you would also need a minor variance for lot coverage, which may be the deal breaker.

Are you neighbors in support or opposition?

Why did the City tell you it's being rejected?

What did your Architect say?
[OP]
Apr 27, 2016
95 posts
15 upvotes
What City is the house in? North York.

Are the side lots from property line? Ie. 1.8m from property line? Or from house to house.
1.8m from property line

What's your rear lot setback and remaining rear lot area?
rear lot setback is 29ft, and remaining is around 50ft.

What's your lot coverage, I feel like with this you would also need a minor variance for lot coverage, which may be the deal breaker.
my lot coverage is within the limit.

Are you neighbors in support or opposition?
my neighbours doesnt care. both of neighbors are vacant houses.

Why did the City tell you it's being rejected?
The maximum permitted building length is 17.00 m. The proposed building length is 25.082 m.
The minimum required side yard setback is 1.80 m. The proposed east side yard setback is 1.15 m.

What did your Architect say? Architect proposed that we somewhat compromise with the city. and i said no.
Dec 29, 2019
134 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Just as a warning, if you are installing new windows in that side and it is less than 4ft from the property line, you might be required to install fire shutters of some kind.

This is roughly 2-3k per window.
Any side doors will also need to be fire rated.

Happened to me (York/Toronto)! lol

If you want a stronger case, get actual signatures from all your neighbours 2 doors around you, including across the street and behind you, saying they have seen your plans and support your build, and submit that to committee.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2016
95 posts
15 upvotes
Meibatsu wrote: Just as a warning, if you are installing new windows in that side and it is less than 4ft from the property line, you might be required to install fire shutters of some kind.

This is roughly 2-3k per window.
Any side doors will also need to be fire rated.

Happened to me (York/Toronto)! lol

If you want a stronger case, get actual signatures from all your neighbours 2 doors around you, including across the street and behind you, saying they have seen your plans and support your build, and submit that to committee.
thank you.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1418 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
darkrocker101 wrote: Why did the City tell you it's being rejected?
The maximum permitted building length is 17.00 m. The proposed building length is 25.082 m.
The minimum required side yard setback is 1.80 m. The proposed east side yard setback is 1.15 m.

What did your Architect say? Architect proposed that we somewhat compromise with the city. and i said no.
I assume you main problem is that you are 50% over your max length. That said, if other homes have set a precedent and you still have ample rear lot area as well as not obstructing anyones views, plus the fact you can get your neighbours to say they can support it, then you may have a case.

You should probably feel out what the compromise you're looking at is.

In regards to the side yard, it should be doable. One issue that you may have to watch out for is the AC units have to be 0.9m off the propertyline. However this more so comes up with you have opposition from a neighbour, but still possible they would use it against you.

Prepare your case, but also try and get a feel of what the compromise is.

Good luck!