None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2007
1032 posts
149 upvotes
Saskatchewan

Help! Need A Cheap Fido Unlock Service

Hey everyone, so here's my situation. I bought a used iPhone SE from someone who told me it was unlocked, so I was going to use it on my current network, but when I took it to them to get it activated I found out it was locked. The seller has not been cooperative, but I did manage to find out it was locked to Fido and I purchased a Fido SIM card from wal-mart to at least get it up and running on wifi only.

I checked around on here and online to find various unlocking sites that are recommended, but every one of them is $80+ Canadian to have my phone unlocked.

There's no way I'm willing to pay that much to unlock the phone, does anyone know of any cheaper options?

Thanks in advance
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2608 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you're not willing to pay that you'll need to contact fido for the unlock.

If calling fido isn't an option, then $80.
Apr 21, 2016
137 posts
50 upvotes
I heard that the employee that was doing cheaper the rogers/fido unlocks ($1-$15) for iphones was caught.
So, most unlockers have increased their prices back to the $80 unlock

Unlockbox has iphone Rogers/fido unlocks for $19.99 and $24.99 (express). http://unlockbox.ca/

Not too sure why they are still offering a low price compared to the $70-$80 unlock.
Also I have never unlocked an iphone from a third party unlocker, so I can't guarantee it will work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2007
1032 posts
149 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Thanks WonderRocket, I'll check that one out.

Also mobifree, I'm not the original account Fido account holder, so I don't believe they'll unlock it for me will they?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11352 posts
3097 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ooo that sucks, a few weeks ago they were going for $10 now they are back up to $80 range
0_o
<_<
>_>
Apr 21, 2016
137 posts
50 upvotes
merciscool wrote: I'm not the original account Fido account holder, so I don't believe they'll unlock it for me will they?
Now, to unlock your device, your account must be in good standing and must satisfy one of the following criteria:
-If you received a rebate associated with a Fido agreement on your Fido device, that device must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.
-If you personally purchased your device from Fido and did not receive any rebate on it, then it must be registered in your account.
-If you purchased your device from a third party, it must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.
Sauce: http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumto ... ad-id/3281

Also, try messaging sending an unlockbox a message before purchasing the code. It is easier to confirm they have it than to get a refund.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2007
1032 posts
149 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Thanks again, I just went ahead and pulled the trigger with unlockbox without confirming unfortunately, but I hope it goes through okay.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2608 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
merciscool wrote: Thanks again, I just went ahead and pulled the trigger with unlockbox without confirming unfortunately, but I hope it goes through okay.
Let us know if it works.
Then I'll send all my client's unlock through them.

Also, who's the girl in the avatar?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2007
1173 posts
218 upvotes
merciscool wrote: Thanks again, I just went ahead and pulled the trigger with unlockbox without confirming unfortunately, but I hope it goes through okay.
Were you able to get it for $24.99?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2007
1032 posts
149 upvotes
Saskatchewan
mobifree wrote: Let us know if it works.
Then I'll send all my client's unlock through them.

Also, who's the girl in the avatar?
Just a girl from facebook

kuzi wrote: Were you able to get it for $24.99?
I was not. I was refunded saying that the main Rogers servers are down so the cost is higher due to backup server use or something and that they have to wait for the dust to settle.

I'm just going to wait to unlock it then, 80 is ridiculous. that's higher than my monthly phone bill.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2608 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
merciscool wrote: I was not. I was refunded saying that the main Rogers servers are down so the cost is higher due to backup server use or something and that they have to wait for the dust to settle.

I'm just going to wait to unlock it then, 80 is ridiculous. that's higher than my monthly phone bill.
That's what I figured. I think there's only one cheap "source" and he/she got shut down and now the other "source" (who's been around for a while) is playing it safe and increased the price to avoid being overwhelmed with orders and possibly getting shutdown themselves.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4538 posts
1119 upvotes
merciscool wrote: I'm just going to wait to unlock it then, 80 is ridiculous. that's higher than my monthly phone bill.
I'm just speculating here. I suspect that the unofficial unlocks are done by real Rogers/Bell/Telus employees looking to make some money on the side. The inside employee has to make a real payment ($50 to unlock with Rogers/Fido I think) in order for the unlock process to happen, and then the extra $30 on top of that (for $80 total) is the employee's profit.

Now the danger of this is that the employees with access to customer accounts and also have the desire the make some money on the side tend to be the call centre sales and customer service employees. Employees in these jobs, due to the nature of the job, have their screens and phone interactions recorded. So then you have a rogue employee opening a customer's account without authorization (my own past experience working in telecom is that employees shouldn't open a customer's account without permission) and then unlocking an old/past phone on that account. What the employee is doing on screen is being fully recorded and it's very easy for managers to pull up a report on how many accounts an employee accessed while on shift compared to how many calls that employee took (my old manager showed us this from his reports). This is a huge risk to that employee's job and really not worth it.

So the general rule is don't buy an unlocked phone unless you can test it immediately to see if it's really unlocked or not.

If you think the pricing is ridiculous then what fee do you think is worth an employee risking their job for?
Jul 13, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Hi guys,

Has anyone had any luck with any unlocking vendors lately? I've used protech in the past and I was successfully able to get 2 iPhones unlocked when it was dirt cheap. However, they're up to $99 to unlock. I just recently got my iPhone SE and would like to unlock it as I can't wait 90 days since I'll be traveling soon. Any trustworthy vendors that don't charge too much?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2007
1032 posts
149 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Hey StoneColdGB, I think the cheapest I've come across is currently $70 Canadian. Kind of sucks since these were reasonably priced recently, but I don't have enough information on when they might change prices again.