Home & Garden

HELP? Need WHT, furnace and AC unit rental contacts or advice.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 8:32 pm
[OP]
Apr 23, 2015
30 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

HELP? Need WHT, furnace and AC unit rental contacts or advice.

My water heater that I've rented from Reliance for 11 years has finally went kaput! Before the sales manager and service comes in for an exchange. I want to see if there's any options or deals out there right now before I lock myself back in with them. Can anyone give me a contact to a reliable company for water heater, furnace and AC. Also looking into a soft water system cause I was told it will be better for appliance, pilings and better for the body too. I would like to get all of it in one shot to get the best deal.

I know there's always a great debate with rental vs buy out but piece of mind tells me to lean towards rental. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10837 posts
2675 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
No do not go with Reliance again, they are over priced & you are locked in a contract. This is your chance to get out and save money & if you look online and in RFD everybody says get out when you can because you end up spending 2x or 3x over 10-20 years with these guys.

Contact @newlyborn hes a highly recommended HVAC tech on RFD, he does Furnaces/AC's & Tankless hot water heaters. Lots of amazing reviews for him here - new-furnace-time-2322131/19/
I bet you he will be cheaper and provide you with better install/quality & service then Reliance ever will.
SUP3RW0MAN wrote: My water heater that I've rented from Reliance for 11 years has finally went kaput! Before the sales manager and service comes in for an exchange. I want to see if there's any options or deals out there right now before I lock myself back in with them. Can anyone give me a contact to a reliable company for water heater, furnace and AC. Also looking into a soft water system cause I was told it will be better for appliance, pilings and better for the body too. I would like to get all of it in one shot to get the best deal.

I know there's always a great debate with rental vs buy out but piece of mind tells me to lean towards rental. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
0_o
<_<
>_>
Apr 8, 2013
116 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
You'll be surprised at the amount of money that you'll save by purchasing the hot water tank as opposed to renting.

Try giving Craig at Four Season Comfort a call (www.fourseasoncomfort.com)

Laird & Son is also a highly reputable vendor to consider (www.lairdandson.com)
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9446 posts
8494 upvotes
Markham
I think the best is to visualize the scam that is a Water Heater rental.

Average lifespan of a Water Heater is something like 10 years. If you're paying $40 a month to rent it, you would have paid $4800 to the rental company over 10 years. When it only costs $1500ish to buy and install one. Even if the one you bought only lasts 5 years, you would have still saved almost $2000 over 10 years. That's how scammy these water rental companies are.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2295 posts
800 upvotes
Woodbridge
Renting should be your last resort. If you do not afford to pay for the equipment upfront, then look into financing options and buy separate insurance (if a piece of mind is critical) and you will still come ahead financially. Most equipment comes with 10 years parts warranty anyway.
SUP3RW0MAN wrote: My water heater that I've rented from Reliance for 11 years has finally went kaput! Before the sales manager and service comes in for an exchange. I want to see if there's any options or deals out there right now before I lock myself back in with them. Can anyone give me a contact to a reliable company for water heater, furnace and AC. Also looking into a soft water system cause I was told it will be better for appliance, pilings and better for the body too. I would like to get all of it in one shot to get the best deal.

HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Oct 24, 2016
879 posts
739 upvotes
ON
OP I think the first thing you need to tell us is if you can afford to purchase all of the equipment or if rental is the only option. No one in their right mind would recommend to rent if affordability to purchase is not a problem. In fact using money from an LOC would still be a better option than renting.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Jul 10, 2015
12 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey, BC
I cannot believe there are ppl still go with rentals. Financial wise, stay away with them.