• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2019 9:04 pm
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
19 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville

Help needed regarding portable ac sliding door venting kids

I have searched everywhere and l cannot find a business in Canada that sells, sliding glass door venting kits for portable air conditioners.

Many will not ship from the states or shipping costs a fortune. Does anyone know of anywhere that sells these?

Is there another way to go ie. use window vents and buy two of those? Maybe another solution? Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by videogirl on May 17th, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1081 posts
480 upvotes
TORONTO
How about cutting a piece of plywood the same width and length you need?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15515 posts
12730 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Never heard of these
So sorry, having a hard time understanding what you are searching for looks like...
Could you post a pic or link
May 11, 2008
804 posts
352 upvotes
Vancouver
Just use plywood like @akswun mentioned.
It's what I've been using for years now, cut a strip a couple inches wider then the hose size and you're fine.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
Plywood would work, but for a less ghetto looking option, talk to a local plastic place.
They'll cut a panel to size and put a hole in it for your vents.

Cost me about $100 and change for a casement window so due to the volume of plastic a door slit sized one might be closer to $200 or more.
But it'd look better than plywood.

Plus this will be a one time thing compared to plywood which you may have to replace due to elements unless you take it down each time it rains.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1081 posts
480 upvotes
TORONTO
I mean, you could paint the plywood to make it look inconspicuous. Still wouldn't be $100.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
19 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville
Omg...hahahahaha

"correction"

I dont wish to vent kids! Although that would not be a bad idea! They vent whenever and, unfortunately, wherever they want.

And l'm dead!
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
19 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville
This is what it looks like....If anyone has one.

I could go to home Depot but will they do everything? I am just a woman with no handyman at her side and am useless with using sharp intruments.
Images
  • 814ofEfVhHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • 31UrbQRoGFL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4272 posts
3699 upvotes
Toronto
Have you already purchased the portable A/C? I bought mine about 10 years ago and it came with one. If you haven't already purchased it, then check and maybe it already comes with it.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
19 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville
I bought the one l have two years ago and this one did not come with the kit. I bought it from TSC and had to buy it seperately. It didn't fit the door correctly and was useless. My sliding door is horizontally higher than average.

Last year l tried a new contraption and that just didn't do the job either. Too short and hot air got in. My balcony door gets full on sunlight from 3:00 pm until nightfall.

The makers of my ac no longer make the kit which is infuriating because l bought one that would do what was needed so l had to pay more. I really researched it.
Nov 12, 2012
572 posts
261 upvotes
Port Moody
Venting a portable AC out a big window or sliding door is a royal PITA to perfect.

I had the same problem in my daughter's room, but she has a connecting bathroom so I vent out the bathroom window which is small. The AC unit sits in the bathroom and points into her room. The bathroom also connects to my son's room, so they share the AC unit. It's a good system! Not sure if you have another window option?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
videogirl wrote: Omg...hahahahaha

"correction"

I dont wish to vent kids! Although that would not be a bad idea! They vent whenever and, unfortunately, wherever they want.

And l'm dead!
lol.. I was wondering about that. But as I scrolled down I didn't see any jokes. So disappointed about that.

I have seen the portable AC units on TSC before. I think those plastic covers were only made for windows and not doors. Did you try it connect the hose to the window yet? What have you been doing for the past 2 years?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
19 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville
They do have the kits to fit sliding glass doors as in the photo l posted. I had one to begin with but it lasted one season.

I need to use the ac in the living room and there are no windows just the sliding door.

They don't sell the kits on TSC anymore.

I don't think anyone noticed it or didn't find it funny. I cracked up when l saw my mistake!
[OP]
Mar 21, 2010
19 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville
No can do as the only window in the living area is the sliding glass door. The only other windows are the ones in the two bedrooms but they are too far away. There are no vents close enough either.
I have a seperate portable ac for my bedroom.

The way this apartment is set-up is really idiotic!