• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2021 4:11 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18020 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto

Help needed setting up Chromecast with an older DVI Monitor

I have the Gen 2 Chromecast and it has an HDMI output. I am trying to use an older Dell monitor with its built in soundbar that has DVI input and an 3.5mm audio connection.

I know that I can get an HDMI to DVI adaptor but that will just give me the video part. How do I get the audio to work? Is there some device or cable that I can use to get the audio?

Thanks
Last edited by hightech on Jan 11th, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 replies
Sep 27, 2020
232 posts
845 upvotes
Anus
There are converters on ebay that do hdmi to dvi with 3.5mm audio but cheaper to go on kijiji and just buy a 20$ let's say dynex 20 inch tv that has hdmi...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
I have an adapter that does HDMI to VGA + analog stereo audio to use with an old monitor, and I know there are others that do HDMI to DVI + analog stereo. I got mine from AliExpress for about $4. You would think that HDMI to DVI would be even cheaper since no video conversion is required, but no - there are many fewer choices, and they seem to cost $15-$20. If your Dell monitor has VGA input as well, you might find it easier to use that.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18020 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I found a spare HDMI to DVI adaptor and tried connecting Chromecast to my monitor. I didn't see any image showing up at all so I don't think my monitor will even support it. It supports 1080p resolution

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)