Computers & Electronics

Help with newly arrived refurbished Dell 3040 - bad image errors and HDMI port problem

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 12:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3796 posts
2769 upvotes
B.C.

Help with newly arrived refurbished Dell 3040 - bad image errors and HDMI port problem

I received my refurbished Dell 3040 today that I bought on eBay from a highly rated seller. The desktop itself looks great, but there were problems from the moment I first booted it up and I don't want to start personalizing it in any way until these issues are solved, in case I need to return it.

When it first booted up, I had an IAStorIcon.exe bad image error right off and when I tried to go to the Task Manager, I had a bad image error for that also and can't go to it at all. When I click on the Start menu at the bottom left, it doesn't open, only if I right-click on it.

Also, one main feature that's a deal-breaker if it doesn't work correctly is the HDMI port. When I booted the desktop for the first, time it cut off the connection with my TV almost immediately. I tried a smaller RCA TV then and it didn't cut out immediately, but kept turning the monitor off, like every two minutes or so. This same HDMI cable works fine with my older Dell and my Android box. Another cable that worked fine with other devices didn't work with this 3040, but then a third one did. And then I could see the 3040 with my TV finally. But I'm concerned about the HDMI port.

And this is all within the first hour, so I'm wondering what else is wrong. My thought was to just try to use WinRE to recover whatever might be missing for whatever reason it's missing. But Windows Recovery Environment isn't there at all on the computer. I could theoretically do a new Windows 10 Pro install altogether, but I don't know if this would help, plus wouldn't I lose all the drivers that are loaded? Is there any way to get WinRE as a stand-alone?
Last edited by TheHans on Jul 24th, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
19 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2430 posts
1609 upvotes
North Vancouver
If it didn't boot up properly, contact the Seller and arrange for a return. Also, if you can't resolve this quickly with the Seller, make sure you file claim with eBay before the allowed claim time has elapsed.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
TheHans wrote: I could theoretically do a new Windows 10 Pro install altogether, but I don't know if this would help, plus wouldn't I lose all the drivers that are loaded?
HDMI issues aside I'd do this anyway. Who knows what's on your existing install.
Drivers aren't an issue. They're here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca ... op/drivers

I'd reinstall and make your own image.

What I'd do if I were you is image your current install, and then reinstall Windows. If that doesn't fix HDMI (I don't think it would, but it's worth a shot) then reimage with the original image and send it back.
Either that or boot into a live Linux distro and see if HDMI works there. If it does, Windows is to blame. If it doesn't, the HDMI port is ducked.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3796 posts
2769 upvotes
B.C.
death_hawk wrote:
I'd reinstall and make your own image.

What I'd do if I were you is image your current install, and then reinstall Windows. If that doesn't fix HDMI (I don't think it would, but it's worth a shot) then reimage with the original image and send it back.
But wouldn't I need WinRE to image what's there currently? It's not on here at all, also an odd thing. As I give this all more thought, I don't see how the seller could've booted up this 3040 without seeing these bad image errors as one came up on its own at startup. And who knows how many others there are. It seems a bit sloppy to send it anyway with corrupted files and a bit disappointing as the seller has a perfect rating. And the HDMI port is important to us. I'm going to wait for the seller's reply, but I don't have a good feeling about this purchase under these circumstances.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
TheHans wrote: But wouldn't I need WinRE to image what's there currently?
I use a 3rd party program.
If you don't have one, Clonezilla is open source and free.
As I give this all more thought, I don't see how the seller could've booted up this 3040 without seeing these bad image errors as one came up on its own at startup.
Who says they even booted it?
And who knows how many others there are. It seems a bit sloppy to send it anyway with corrupted files and a bit disappointing as the seller has a perfect rating.
That's why I'd wipe it
And the HDMI port is important to us. I'm going to wait for the seller's reply, but I don't have a good feeling about this purchase under these circumstances.
Yeah I'd send it back.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3796 posts
2769 upvotes
B.C.
death_hawk wrote:
Who says they even booted it?

Yeah I'd send it back.
Two good points. :-)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3796 posts
2769 upvotes
B.C.
death_hawk wrote: HDMI issues aside I'd do this anyway. Who knows what's on your existing install.
Drivers aren't an issue. They're here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca ... op/drivers
They're apparently refunding me, but because it came from the States, they're leaving me with the computer because it's not worth it for them to pay the return shipping to get it back. If I were to try an install of Windows 10 Pro, couldn't I theoretically use the Dell OS Recovery Tool to reinstall Windows 10 Pro and give me my drivers at the same time? I might be misunderstanding this, but I think that's what it's for. As per here: https://www.dell.com/support/article/en ... ws?lang=en . It doesn't help me with the HDMI problem, but that's a different issue that will cost me a few bucks I guess.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2967 upvotes
At this point just do a wipe and a clean windows install. If it doesn't work toss it in the recycle bin at staples.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6670 posts
6645 upvotes
What's the obsession with drivers?

Just install a fresh copy of Windows and it will take care of everything once you connect to the internet and do a windows update...
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3017 posts
3383 upvotes
GTA
On the HDMI issue if it turns out to be hardware see if the 3040 desktop has a Display port. Then get a DP to HDMI cable from say Amazon.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3796 posts
2769 upvotes
B.C.
cristianosham wrote: At this point just do a wipe and a clean windows install. If it doesn't work toss it in the recycle bin at staples.
There's not much on the computer as it just arrived. No bloatware, but probably at least a few more bad image error files. Is there an advantage to wiping it first anyway? Or will the clean install take care of that?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2967 upvotes
TheHans wrote: There's not much on the computer as it just arrived. No bloatware, but probably at least a few more bad image error files. Is there an advantage to wiping it first anyway? Or will the clean install take care of that?
Wipe to start with a clean slate. Install windows and windows update all the drivers.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
They're apparently refunding me, but because it came from the States, they're leaving me with the computer because it's not worth it for them to pay the return shipping to get it back.
Good news.
If I were to try an install of Windows 10 Pro, couldn't I theoretically use the Dell OS Recovery Tool to reinstall Windows 10 Pro and give me my drivers at the same time?

Probably, but now you get Dell's version with all their garbage that you have to remove.
TheHans wrote: Is there an advantage to wiping it first anyway? Or will the clean install take care of that?
There's always an advantage of wiping it. You 100% know what's on your computer.
Nothing I own doesn't have my own OS install on it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the amount of time you've spent questioning if you should wipe it or not has been higher than the time it would have taken me to wipe and reinstall.
It's not a difficult or long process. As much as I shit on Windows 10, even drivers aren't really an issue, especially for older hardware. You may not need drivers at all because Windows already has them or will get them on an update.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4908 posts
1945 upvotes
It's a machine with 6th gen i-core? Shouldnt be that hard to find drivers if on the off chance that Windows 10 can't find any by itself. +1 on fresh install and see if it fixes the problem.

On the HDMI issue I've experienced computers being picky with HDMI cables. I have a dell all in one in the office that I hook a second monitor to via HDMI. The dollarama HDMI cable that works at home on tv did not work consistently on the computer, sometime it won't connect to the monitor, have to re-plug and reboot for it to detect. Changed to an Amazon basic one and its been working without that problem since.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3796 posts
2769 upvotes
B.C.
death_hawk wrote: Good news.

Probably, but now you get Dell's version with all their garbage that you have to remove.
Well, you had your crystal ball on the "Dell version" thing. It gave us a bunch of "useful" utilities that I have to get rid of now. But other than that, it might've done the trick. This computer was *so* messed up, that's for sure. Since the re-installation, so far, it's worked well. I think perhaps the seller didn't realize I was Canadian when he was so quick to offer the refund. I was shocked though when he said I should just keep it. I think we got a pretty good deal on it in the first place, but if we can get it working completely, it will be an amazing deal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7219 posts
1555 upvotes
Toronto
The HDMI issue, I would hazard to guess it is a loose connector on the computer. Try the cables that do not work but put a bit of pressure on it at various angles and see if you get a working signal out of it.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
coilz wrote: dollarama
*surprised Pikachu*
TheHans wrote:
Well, you had your crystal ball on the "Dell version" thing. It gave us a bunch of "useful" utilities that I have to get rid of now.
I legit laughed. But yeah... there's a reason I wipe, especially since normal versions of 10 are stupid.
LTSC is the only way to go.
To be honest the first thing I do when I get a notebook is power it on, mash whatever to get into the BIOS and boot into my imaging medium.
I image the thing, then wipe it. Most times I don't even see the original OS.
The only time I do is when I don't mash hard enough and I miss the BIOS which then boots me into Windows.
I think perhaps the seller didn't realize I was Canadian when he was so quick to offer the refund. I was shocked though when he said I should just keep it. I think we got a pretty good deal on it in the first place, but if we can get it working completely, it will be an amazing deal.
He may have. International shipping is expensive. If you were based in the US, it would have been cheap.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2967 upvotes
Covid19 is another excuse to charge more for shipping with delays. Obviously the seller knew that the cost of shipping was more than the unit.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13031 posts
8271 upvotes
Markham
cristianosham wrote: Covid19 is another excuse to charge more for shipping with delays. Obviously the seller knew that the cost of shipping was more than the unit.
Besides shipping cost, seller might not even try to fix it, so even they get it back, they might just throw away as well
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3796 posts
2769 upvotes
B.C.
smartie wrote: Besides shipping cost, seller might not even try to fix it, so even they get it back, they might just throw away as well

In this case, the seller used the Global Shipping Program. As it turned out with the new NAFTA, we paid import charges that we shouldn't have paid due to a change on July 1. But we got that back anyway with the refund. I think in general, perhaps the seller was concerned that any negatively involving this unit would affect his 100% positive rating, so he just did what made the most sense for him overall to have it resolved quickly with the least cost to him. He was great about the whole thing.