Travel

Help: Not sure when I want my return flight?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2017 12:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11515 posts
1487 upvotes
GVR

Help: Not sure when I want my return flight?

I am traveling on an extended vacation to NZ but am not sure when exactly I'll be leaving. However I need a flight out under my visa conditions, plus booking the roundtrip is only marginally more expensive than a 1-way there, plus I fear that booking a 1-way when I am already there, closer to my departure date, would only be more expensive

It seems mainly services by American or Air NZ. At least with AA, their fully flexible/refundable ticket is like 3x the price, which means I might as well book the standard roundtrip, skip it, and book a separate 1-way later!

Is there any other ways I can handle this sort of situation, being flexible with my return date? Is there a cheaper way to book the 1way now and the other 1way later? Should I just pick a date, and stick with it for better or worse?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20742 posts
14217 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You can ask the airline how much it would be to change the date on your return ticket once ticketed. Chances are they will charge you a change fee of a few hundred plus any difference in the fare which may work out to your advantage. If it doesn't, then no big deal and just buy a new return ticket.
Jun 15, 2015
190 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You can try to find an airline that offers Full Refund within 24hrs and buy a Round Trip ticket than cancel it but keep the printed itinerary to show customs your return flight.

So buy a One Way Ticket to NZ.
Than Buy a Round Trip Ticket (Can refund within 24hrs) to NZ on the same departing day as the One Way Ticket, than cancel it and use the itinerary to show NZ customs your return flight.

I know of clients doing this way to enter Asian country without a firm return date.
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes
I've been providing a lot of bad advise but just buy a one way ticket from Auckland to Sydney ... that way you meet your requirements. $155 on jetstar.

Booking a RT ticket gonna cost you a lot to change .. at least $250 possible not to sure + flight cost difference .
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11515 posts
1487 upvotes
GVR
js5566 wrote: You can try to find an airline that offers Full Refund within 24hrs and buy a Round Trip ticket than cancel it but keep the printed itinerary to show customs your return flight.

So buy a One Way Ticket to NZ.
Than Buy a Round Trip Ticket (Can refund within 24hrs) to NZ on the same departing day as the One Way Ticket, than cancel it and use the itinerary to show NZ customs your return flight.

I know of clients doing this way to enter Asian country without a firm return date.
Ah, that's an interesting one! Cool idea :)
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Probably the most practical thing to do is to just buy the return ticket for a date roughly around when you expect to leave. If you have to change it, whether you're on a fully flexible ticket (ie no change fee) you will still need to pay the fare difference between what you purchased and what the current price of the return ticket would be for the day you choose, on the day you make the change.

For most international flights, the change fee is less than $300, so if you add $300 to the price of your ticket, it should still be less than the price of a fully flexible ticket, and less than the price of two one-way tickets.

Also, if you intend to do this, I highly recommend either booking directly with the airline, or using a travel agent. A good agent will be able to look at the different fare classes available and determine the best priced ticket to put you on depending on the change fees. (which can vary at different levels of fare classes).

I would not recommend going with the fake itinerary, as while you could technically get away with this, if you're caught then you're going to be forced to buy a return ticket on the spot at the airport, which will likely be a lot more expensive, and you'll still probably have to change the date later anyway.