Art and Photography

[HELP]off camera canon Yongnuo flash system on Sony A7III is it possible ? or near future?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 7:56 am
[OP]
Jul 12, 2010
466 posts
75 upvotes

[HELP]off camera canon Yongnuo flash system on Sony A7III is it possible ? or near future?

Basically I heavily invested in a bunch of yn600ex-rt and like a nice YN transmitter for CANON system. I recently upgraded to FF sony A7III. Since I moved camera ecosystem feels like I;m starting from ground zero.

I saw a video from jason Lanier saying he could trigger some Nikon YN trigger on like some A7rII type of system but just putting it in weirdly. I kind of tried to do that with my Canon YN on my sony a7iii with no way of triggering it... I know I lose out on all special functions but just having some off camera trigger flashes would be amazing and I wouldn't feel like I wasted all that cash.
Damn that video gave me hope that it is somehow possible to reuse my old equipment.

Do I need to buy a Nikon Yongnuo triansmitter?? Can it trigger my Canon YN flashes

Is it possible Yongnuo makes a Sony Transmitter?? that can also trigger my canon flashes... (GOD I WISH THIS WOULD HAPPEN)

So are there any Yongnuo flash experts that can give me some advice on what to do???
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5098 posts
1889 upvotes
Toronto
I'm pretty sure it should trigger the transmitter, you just lose out on the functions.

Maybe double check, but for trouble shooting check the DPReview FE mount sub-forum. Much more detailed solutions.

If possible, I would just dump the Yungnuo system on Kijiji/BST and pick up the more powerful Godox system.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3087 posts
737 upvotes
Vaughan
In the past, I used a yongnuo 560 iii flash triggered by a yongnuo rf603ii (nikon version), with the original A7, and the A7ii. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the A7iii though. You can buy a nikon version of their trigger off ebay or kijiji, and try it if you want. No guarantees it'll work, but you could also re-sell the trigger, if it doesn't work.

However I agree with rebel-rfd above. Just sell the yongnuo equipment, and re-buy godox.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Mar 1, 2019
1 posts
Did you ever find a solution? I just bought the a7riii and I already had the yongnuo flashes and transmitter. I can not get it to work. If I test fire the transmitter they will fire but not with the shutter. I also tried a flash on master and I have the same issue. The master flash will fire on the camera but not the slaves. They only all fire with the test button.
Jul 5, 2006
412 posts
221 upvotes
Mine work! Using Yongnuo rf603 with my Flash