Travel

Help in pin-pointing these 6 locations in HK and more...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2019 3:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2750 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough

Help in pin-pointing these 6 locations in HK and more...

Next month I'll be at around Eaton Center (Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes), aka Chim Sa Jue, close to Jordan Stn, yay!

Spending only 4 nights I am seeking help in pin-pointing the following 6 locations precisely. Please don't just say "close to yue ma tee..." :

Also any suggestion to look for a xiaomi or umidigi phone shops.

TIA
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4490 posts
1066 upvotes
#1- There are dozens of these stalls all across Hong Kong on streets in Mongkok, Yau Ma Tei, Sham Shui Po, Causeway Bay. Just walk around the neighbourhoods and you'll see them. It's really that easy.
#2- Same as #1.
#3- Same as #1.
#4- Wan Chai and Sham Shui Po for street market stalls. Really difficult to miss when you're just walking around. But you'll see these in a restaurant windows selling them.
#5- Same as #1 but not as common. You can find these in the same restaurants selling #4. It's actually soy cuttlefish not "orange cuttlefish" like the vlogger says.
#6- It's mobile so there's no one spot. I've seen these in Mong Kok and Tsim Sha Tsui. McDonald's ice cream is arguably better (and cheaper).

Xiaomi has a Mi Home store in Mong Kok. They also have a couple of smaller stores but the Mi Home is by far the largest one and easiest to get to. Fortress also carries Xiaomi non-smart phone products.
Jan 8, 2012
671 posts
439 upvotes
Williams Lake
What a brilliant city.

I'm tempted to change my next trip, just to go back, if even for just 24 hours.

Sorry, can't help with locations.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12102 posts
6992 upvotes
Markham
I probably wouldn't seek out these types of places. You can get this stuff (entrails, BBQ etc) as good or better here IMO.

I'd go to
Michelin starred dim sum place
Roast goose
Seafood market maybe
Roast pigeon/squab
Michelin wonton noodle
Tofu pudding Dao-fu-fa
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2750 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough
gr8dlr wrote: I probably wouldn't seek out these types of places. You can get this stuff (entrails, BBQ etc) as good or better here IMO.

I'd go to
Michelin starred dim sum place
Roast goose
Seafood market maybe
Roast pigeon/squab
Michelin wonton noodle
Tofu pudding Dao-fu-fa

BUDDY! Where!

(can't believe spending thousands mainly to eat :rolleyes: )
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes
OP: You can find lots of "iconic street food" places at Temple Street Night Market in Kowloon by the Jordan subway station, that is less than 10 minutes walk from your hotel (Eaton HK) . Another good night market with lots of places to eat and shop is in MongKok, just 2 subway stops from the Jordan subway station, or 45 minutes walk.

For the Michelin Star dim sum, try the restaurant inside the high speed train station located between Jordan & Tsim Sha Tsui, and that may take about 30 minutes walk from your hotel.

For phones, there is a Xaiomi store in Mongkok, and lots of phone stores in Ap Liu Street in ShamShuiPo (another good area to eat and shop). But, dont bother, because it is difficult to find a phone with the international version operating system, and because you can find better prices at Aliexpress.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2750 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough
psudolam wrote: ...
For the Michelin Star dim sum, try the restaurant inside the high speed train station located between Jordan & Tsim Sha Tsui, and that may take about 30 minutes walk from your hotel.

For phones, there is a Xaiomi store in Mongkok, and lots of phone stores in Ap Liu Street in ShamShuiPo (another good area to eat and shop). But, dont bother, because it is difficult to find a phone with the international version operating system, and because you can find better prices at Aliexpress.
Know the name of the restaurant?

Looks like HK lost its edge for bargains....esp to an RFD-er?
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes
Samwfive wrote: Know the name of the restaurant?

Looks like HK lost its edge for bargains....esp to an RFD-er?
There is only one big restaurant on the upper floor, above the food court on the main floor, of the West Kowloon Railway Station. There is a big sign that u can see from the main floor atrium, and you wont miss it.

Yes, many items, especially import goods, in hk are more expensive than in canada. The price of goods or restaurant can vary greatly depending on the location.

Mongkok and Shamshuipo (cheaper) on the Kowloon side are the best places to shop. Shamshuipo has lots of phone and electronic stores. You can get your data sim cards dirt cheap there, e.g., Hk$49 (Cdn$8) for 12 gb of data for 30 days. Dont forget to bargain hard, and dont commit buying until you have visited 2 or 3 stores.
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
376 upvotes
OTTAWA
tim ho wan is the michelin starred dimsum.. I found it above average but nothing amazing.

michelin roast goose would be kam's roast goose I think? also felt it was overrated. Rushed service and bait and switch. They tell you that the lunch combos are sold out to force you into ordering a la carte, meanwhile you see the locals coming in and grabbing combos to go. How are you sold out of combos when all you're doing is hacking up a few pieces of meat to throw on rice? Wait for almost 2 hours to get in, sit down and BE TOLD you have 30 minutes to order eat and get out.

The other place for high end goose, tho more expensive is yung kee. no rush, bit pricier but the staff are far more friendly. The two are actually brothers that split when the father/founder of yung kee passed away.
Aug 14, 2015
19 posts
4 upvotes
Victoria, BC
No.1 - Shui Kee , 2 Gutzlaff St, Central, Hong Kong
No. 2 & 5 - Fuk Hing Hong, 4D Wing On Street, Tai O, Lantau Island
No. 3 - sorry, can't locate it but the film says it is in Yau Ma Tei
No. 4 - Tong Kee, 127 Pei Ho Street, Sham Shui Po. AND
No.4 - Liji Shao La, # 119 Pei Ho St, Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong
No. 6 - Mobile ice cream truck, seen it at Star Ferry Terminal can be various location