Home & Garden

HELP - Plumber Flooded My Basement

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 8:48 am
[OP]
May 20, 2021
8 posts

HELP - Plumber Flooded My Basement

We had a plumbing company here to do a large job (well large for us, around $3500 CAD), and one of their guys accidentally cut the main line and flooded our basement. A week later and all is dry, but they are asking what we want for compensation. They supplied all the drying equipment and brought in the restoration company, so what we are left with now is 1 room that the carpet has been deemed dry but it is pretty ruined. Wet carpet with fans blowing under it totally warped it. At the least, it would need a thorough cleaning, re stretch and re lay, plus that room needs baseboards replaced. There is one other room where the water just got in that needs a cleaning, and the stairs up need a cleaning.

In addition to that, the flood obviously took a lot of time for my husband and I to deal with - moving everything, my husband spent the night of the flood shop vaccuuming water out of the carpet because the best job wasn't done, cleaning water off plastic bins, etc. We didn't have hot water for a day or so. We don't have a lot of material loss, just time mostly.

The final thing is because the main plumbers were dealing with the flood, the junior guys cut the drywall out to redo our piping so it was not salvageable. The quote from the plumber was to cut out all the drywall square so it could be put back in but instead we ended up with 15 holes that the drywaller needed to recut each hole square, and cut new drywall for every single hole. I don't know how to quantify the cost of this issue into a dollar amount.

The plumbing company is now asking what we want for compensation for all of the above. I don't want to screw them - they have handled this mistake the best they could have, but I also don't want to be screwed. This was a huge hassle for us and its going to be a lot of work to get our basement back. We also incurred extra cost for the drywall, but again can't really quantify how much. Where do we start the negotiation and how do we quantify the loss to them?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1748 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
Bring in a company/trade to give you a quote for all the restoration work. This would give you a dollar value to share with the plumbing company for what would be reasonable to have the work completed.

Or go through your insurance.
Sep 15, 2017
624 posts
637 upvotes
Get replacement value quotes for everything affected and give them the bill.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3061 posts
1668 upvotes
Mississauga
At minimum cost coverage to bring it back up to pre flood standards

You'll likely need to provide them a quote for restoration services

If it goes through insurance, assume you have evidence that it was the plumbing company negligence that caused the issue?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4309 posts
2208 upvotes
I'm assuming you hired a plumbing company that doesn't carry insurance for things like this? Do they carry Workers Compensation or are you taking a another risk.
[OP]
May 20, 2021
8 posts
They have insurance but they don't plan to use it. They have paid out of pocket for everything themselves so far. We are not talking huge loss - it was one room mostly affected so its mostly restoring one room.
[OP]
May 20, 2021
8 posts
They don't want to use their insurance, and they have fully assumed fault. They physically cut our main line open accidentally while cutting out another line.
[OP]
May 20, 2021
8 posts
So just leave our time completely out of it? I can get a quote on flooring and install and baseboard, but we aren't going to put carpet down again so should they really be footing the bill for the entire vinyl install?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11821 posts
3477 upvotes
Ontario
Get a contractor in to give you a quote to fix and do everything to how it was before more or less. Take the cost of a new carpet and charge them for it. Sure its not going to pay for the new floors but it can go toward it.
Also I would add a few hundred dollars on top of the price for your time and headache at leas you can use that extra money for the new renos.

SummerDawn85 wrote: So just leave our time completely out of it? I can get a quote on flooring and install and baseboard, but we aren't going to put carpet down again so should they really be footing the bill for the entire vinyl install?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1748 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
SummerDawn85 wrote: So just leave our time completely out of it? I can get a quote on flooring and install and baseboard, but we aren't going to put carpet down again so should they really be footing the bill for the entire vinyl install?
That's like having your Toyota Corolla totalled in an accident and telling your insurance you should be getting a Lexus as a replacement because you don't want to drive a Corolla anymore.

At the end of the day the plumbing company will cut you a cheque for the value of the restoration work that needs to be done to return it back to the original condition as if the flood didn't happen. It's up to you how you want to spend that cheque.
[OP]
May 20, 2021
8 posts
jacquesstrap wrote: That's like having your Toyota Corolla totalled in an accident and telling your insurance you should be getting a Lexus as a replacement because you don't want to drive a Corolla anymore.

At the end of the day the plumbing company will cut you a cheque for the value of the restoration work that needs to be done to return it back to the original condition as if the flood didn't happen. It's up to you how you want to spend that cheque.
Yes this makes total sense and I never expected that. But what about our time and the extra drywall costs? Do we try and negotiate that in?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19092 upvotes
Oakville
SummerDawn85 wrote: Yes this makes total sense and I never expected that. But what about our time and the extra drywall costs? Do we try and negotiate that in?
Well, you can tell them you spent X amount of hours cleaning it up. Multiply by their hourly rate and ask them for it as the alternative would have been you calling in an emergency plumber for $100+ an hour. Make it about how much you saved them by doing it yourself, you took a day off work, etc.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
May 9, 2014
165 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Agreed, itemize all your costs including your time and present it. If you don’t like how the drywall was patch get a quote to repair properly and include it. Depending on the final tally include a “pain and suffering” value,
engineered wrote: Well, you can tell them you spent X amount of hours cleaning it up. Multiply by their hourly rate and ask them for it as the alternative would have been you calling in an emergency plumber for $100+ an hour. Make it about how much you saved them by doing it yourself, you took a day off work, etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1992 posts
1007 upvotes
Ontario
Only one room? How deep? You sure it didn't go under any walls (or wick up them) or under other flooring elsewhere?

I'd have drywall sections and flooring checked to be sure where it went, and all flooring dried/replaced at a minimum...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
Alright. If plumbers were on site. Yes. Things got wet. Let’s not get carried away with the cost. Things happen in life.

You’re not going to get anything for loss of use. I highly doubt furniture was damaged beyond some water on the bottom of the legs.

Drywall damage in the area of the leak plus the drywall areas they needed to cut out. Taping costs. Paint. Maybe replace the trim around the area directly affected. Plus any flooring that was permanently damaged. Like carpet and underlay.

Good luck!!!.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1089 posts
540 upvotes
Longueuil
Is this you?
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19092 upvotes
Oakville
JEDI Force wrote: Is this you?
Wow, this is why you should keep a shark bite ball valve handy. Just slip it on and close the valve.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
May 6, 2010
693 posts
138 upvotes
Richmond Hill
this is minor flood shown, I have dealt with flooded units with water level as high as 3 feet and whole commercial plaza buildings flooded.
[OP]
May 20, 2021
8 posts
IcarusLSC wrote: Only one room? How deep? You sure it didn't go under any walls (or wick up them) or under other flooring elsewhere?

I'd have drywall sections and flooring checked to be sure where it went, and all flooring dried/replaced at a minimum...
They sent out canstar restoration to check everything with a moisture meter and it was all deemed dry. The only thing they said needs replacing is the baseboard.