Home & Garden

Help! plumbing problem: Trap seal primer line in the laundry sink faucet is broken

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 6:48 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2021
3 posts

Help! plumbing problem: Trap seal primer line in the laundry sink faucet is broken

Hello,

The trap primer line inside the wall aged and broke. Water leaked and flowed to the basement. I took out the line and water was coming out of the faucet primer line holes.

Can I replace a new faucet without a trap primer line? I know it prevents the backflow of sewer gas into the buildings by adding water to the trap but it is necessary? by law?
fact: I can not find out where to buy the trap primer line and new faucet with trap primer line hole.
If it is necessary, why is it so hard to find? I even don't know what the correct name of this thing is.

there is no shut-off valve under the sink so I have to shut off the main shut-off valve but water is still coming out of the faucet trap primer line hole, what is wrong?

Do I need to check the condition inside the wall? will it cost a lot of money?

Any help and insights are appreciated!
Images
  • picture.jpg
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4256 posts
2159 upvotes
If it's like your picture you would not need a primer.
If that primer also feeds a floor drain you would.

Yes you need a primer by code if you have a trap that doesn't regularly receive water.
The trap primer line is usually just ordinary copper/plastic/nylon tubing.
You can buy a laundry type faucet with a trap primer or a separate trap primer by itself which would require being tied into the line heading to your faucet.
One of the cartridges in your faucet are leaking and that water is going down the primer line instead of coming out your spout.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/moen-m ... 1000404619

Chrome finish is highly reflective for a mirror-like look that works with any decorating style
Trap seal primer outlet and garden hose adaptor included
Conventional deck mount design mounts on the sink or countertop
2 handle lever design for ease of use
[OP]
Apr 26, 2021
3 posts
Thanks pootza for your reply.

My city PLUMBING ROUGH-IN INSPECTIONS require a trap seal primer.

basically, no trap primer line is sold in the market. Is it too old? I only find one trap seal primer in the market and don't if it is compatible with the faucet.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mifab- ... 1001518326#

Thanks for your help anyway
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4256 posts
2159 upvotes
ricky233 wrote: Thanks pootza for your reply.

My city PLUMBING ROUGH-IN INSPECTIONS require a trap seal primer.

basically, no trap primer line is sold in the market. Is it too old? I only find one trap seal primer in the market and don't if it is compatible with the faucet.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mifab- ... 1001518326#

Thanks for your help anyway
Your city requires a trap seal primer for what?
There is and never was "trap primer line". It's just 1/4" or 3/8" or 1/2" O.D. tubing made of either copper, plastic, nylon or whatever tubing your hardware store sells.
Most all faucets labelled as laundry faucets have a plug underneath which you unscrew and hook the tubing up too. When you turn the faucet on a little bit of water goes down the tubing to prime whatever trap you're priming. When you turn the faucet off the water stops.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2021
3 posts
It is for a safe and healthy living environment maybe.

I appreciate your answers.