Help with poor gas mileage Corolla

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2020 6:39 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
264 posts
155 upvotes

Help with poor gas mileage Corolla

I've noticed the gas mileage on my 2006 Corolla has been slipping. I've maintained the car well, so I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. I'm currently getting around 9.5-10 L / 100 km, mixed city and highway, which is on the lower end. The car currently has about 185,000 km on it.

My tires are inflated properly, I've recently replaced the spark plugs and air filters, regular oil changes, and generally keep the car in great working order. Anyone have any other thoughts on what it could be?
55 replies
Dec 2, 2006
307 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
alexh9 wrote: I've noticed the gas mileage on my 2006 Corolla has been slipping. I've maintained the car well, so I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. I'm currently getting around 9.5-10 L / 100 km, mixed city and highway, which is on the lower end. The car currently has about 185,000 km on it.

My tires are inflated properly, I've recently replaced the spark plugs and air filters, regular oil changes, and generally keep the car in great working order. Anyone have any other thoughts on what it could be?
Dragging brakes? If you have a IR temperature gun, you can measure the rotor/rim temperature after driving to see if there is any difference. I once had a tight fitting brake pad that caused this.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5026 posts
2463 upvotes
Ottawa
Fouled fuel injectors, old (or fouled or malfunctioning) oxygen sensors, different oil than what you previously use, sticky brake caliper(s), etc. - lots of reasons. Try seafoam or another fuel additive to clean the fuel injectors and/or an Italian tune-up - the culprit behind falling fuel economy is often at the gas/air mix point and sometimes the bottle-in-the-tank solution works.
Jan 16, 2017
38 posts
14 upvotes
If it is only recent, it could be related to the colder weather. I know I see a noticeable difference in my vehicles between winter and summer fuel economy.

Cold Weather Fuel Economy
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35253 posts
21231 upvotes
Center of Universe
Chucko3210 wrote: If it is only recent, it could be related to the colder weather. I know I see a noticeable difference in my vehicles between winter and summer fuel economy.

Cold Weather Fuel Economy
+1, idling longer etc...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5882 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
Your results don't seem that bad to me.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7415 posts
5437 upvotes
Kitchener
10L/100km doesn't seem terrible in the winter months? Even my EV's are using nearly $2/100km for electricity in the winter when it's much closer to $1/100km in the summer.
Dec 10, 2012
58 posts
26 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Thats poor fuel ecomony even for winter weather, definitely something wrong. My 2017 Mazda6 gets around 7.5L/100Km 90% city driving even in winter weather with snow tires.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16841 upvotes
Oakville
alexh9 wrote: I've noticed the gas mileage on my 2006 Corolla has been slipping. I've maintained the car well, so I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. I'm currently getting around 9.5-10 L / 100 km, mixed city and highway, which is on the lower end. The car currently has about 185,000 km on it.

How many km city vs highway driving?
Does your route have lots of traffic? Because that for sure gets worse every year. I bet your commute time has also become worse.
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
287 upvotes
Check your battery. Seriously, a low battery or shot alternator can make the car rev higher and use more gas.
Dec 21, 2015
632 posts
287 upvotes
Canada
that mileage doesn't seem to be bad at all.
what mileage did you get before or expect?
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12286 posts
1166 upvotes
Brampton
Gas pumps give less gas in cold weather too. So when you buy 25 liters, you are actually getting 24.6 liters of gas.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15690 posts
16841 upvotes
Oakville
cheapmeister wrote: Gas pumps give less gas in cold weather too. So when you buy 25 liters, you are actually getting 24.6 liters of gas.
But OP is likely using the car's built in reading.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1430 posts
1260 upvotes
Yeah not a bad mileage at all for an almost a 15 year old car in winter conditions. I wouldn't stress much.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2690 posts
528 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
cheapmeister wrote: Gas pumps give less gas in cold weather too. So when you buy 25 liters, you are actually getting 24.6 liters of gas.
That's not true.

Gas is stored and kept at a constant 15°C when dispensed. It says right on the pump.

It doesn't matter what time of year you go, you are getting the same amount.
Oct 21, 2009
416 posts
511 upvotes
Some gas companies switch to a winter blend of gas, which evaporates at lower temperatures, making it easier to combust in the winter, but lacks efficiency.

Also, winter tires are softer and stickier which lowers fuel economy.

Mine went from 7 to 7.5.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4743 upvotes

Is this your 1st winter with this car? Has past winters been better that cause you concern?