Automotive

Help with poor gas mileage Corolla

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2020 6:39 pm
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
520 upvotes
NORTH YORK
cheapmeister wrote: Gas pumps give less gas in cold weather too. So when you buy 25 liters, you are actually getting 24.6 liters of gas.
Myth..... Busted
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
bargain man wrote: That's not true.

Gas is stored and kept at a constant 15°C when dispensed. It says right on the pump.

It doesn't matter what time of year you go, you are getting the same amount.
Stored at 15c? Does the gas pump have a heater inside of it?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
The pumps volume correct as if the fuel being pumped is at 15C.
The volume of a liquid fuel expands and contracts with changes in temperature. The process of temperature compensation allows for a measured volume of fuel to be adjusted to the volume it would occupy if it were measured at 15 °C. Selling temperature compensated fuel eliminates inequities caused by changes in volume due to temperature variations. An electronic device called an automatic temperature compensator measures the temperature of the fuel during delivery and automatically calculates the amount of fuel as though it had been delivered at 15 °C. The words "Volume Corrected to 15 °C" must appear immediately next to the displayed net quantity on all fuel pumps equipped with an automatic temperature compensator. In Canada, the use of automatic temperature compensation (ATC) is optional on gasoline and diesel fuel pumps, but is mandatory for the sale of propane as an automotive fuel.
Source: Measurement Canada
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 6, 2016
318 posts
218 upvotes
hightech wrote: Put some gumout fuel cleaner for high mileage and clean the mass air flow sensor
Yup, tried that last month, will also throw in a bottle of Techron very soon.
firestarter99 wrote: Check your battery. Seriously, a low battery or shot alternator can make the car rev higher and use more gas.
Could be, but the battery was replaced about 1.5 years ago. I suppose it could be "bad", but it hasn't given me any issues.
FJF23J12DAZ wrote: that mileage doesn't seem to be bad at all.
what mileage did you get before or expect?
Mileage before was definitely better than this. I'd say closer to about 7.5L / 100km. I know the gas mileage figures from manufacturers aren't totally accurate, but Toyota advertises this specific car as 5.3 and 7.1L / 100km (highway and city). I also noticed an improvement in gas mileage several months ago once I replaced the spark plugs, but that slowly faded away.
Xtrema wrote:
Is this your 1st winter with this car? Has past winters been better that cause you concern?
Nope, had this for over a decade. Yes, past winters have been better.
Nov 6, 2016
318 posts
218 upvotes
engineered wrote: How many km city vs highway driving?
Does your route have lots of traffic? Because that for sure gets worse every year. I bet your commute time has also become worse.
I'd say about 60% city / 40% highway.
Mar 30, 2007
507 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
I have an 05 corolla, do 100% city and got 16l/100 km during my last fill up. Two days later battery died so hoping it could be because of that. But even in the past I usually get 11-12L/100 km mileage during winters in all city driving.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Don't feel bad, my brand new corolla is doing 10L/100kms in 100% city.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
Stop carrying bbw's and your gas mileage will improve!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Thermostat would be one of the first things I'd check. Nothing kills mileage more then an engine that's not getting up to operating temp.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
mxthor3 wrote: Thermostat would be one of the first things I'd check. Nothing kills mileage more then an engine that's not getting up to operating temp.
That's a good one to check. But OP would hopefully of mentioned he has no heat.
It's also far from the worst killer of mileage.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
engineered wrote: That's a good one to check. But OP would hopefully of mentioned he has no heat.
It's also far from the worst killer of mileage.
He'll still get heat with a bad thermostat. And you are correct for gassers, being a diesel driver it really kills the mileage (As diesel are extremely good at shedding heat already, they don't need any help, lol)
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3662 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: Gas pumps give less gas in cold weather too. So when you buy 25 liters, you are actually getting 24.6 liters of gas.
Gas is sold VOLUMETRICALLY, which means you get MORE when gasoline is colder as it is DENSER with lower temperature; HOWEVER, see below ...
bargain man wrote: That's not true.

Gas is stored and kept at a constant 15°C when dispensed. It says right on the pump.

It doesn't matter what time of year you go, you are getting the same amount.
Pumps in Canada are CALIBRATED for VOLUME at 15°C and contain temperature compensating devices to adjust actual volume delivered for temperature of the fuel.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
mxthor3 wrote: He'll still get heat with a bad thermostat. And you are correct for gassers, being a diesel driver it really kills the mileage (As diesel are extremely good at shedding heat already, they don't need any help, lol)
No, I just replaced my thermostat that was stuck open. Had no heat in the car, even with the grill blocked off. I suppose some old inefficient engines might put out enough heat to be cooled by the radiator in freezing temps and give good heat in the cabin.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote: Stored at 15c? Does the gas pump have a heater inside of it?
It's in the ground.
The ground is a constant 15.5C in most places.
That's how geothermal pumps work.

During the summer when I fill up the KLR on a hot day.
I get a nice cold tank between my legs in 35C degree weather.
One of the few joys that car drivers will never understand.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2019
1058 posts
955 upvotes
My dad's car L/100km, goes from 11 to 17-22 in the winter.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Unknown18281 wrote: My dad's car L/100km, goes from 11 to 17-22 in the winter.
WTF. Is he going WOT all the time?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2019
1058 posts
955 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: WTF. Is he going WOT all the time?
No, lemme explain

K, so my mom drops us of to school, so the car doesn't usually get used alot. Car usually has less Kms when we're in school. We also warm the car up which I know that affects gas mileage. But usually the car uses like 1-1.5 litres in like 5-10km. Even in the summer, sometimes the car uses like 1-1.5 litres in a matter of 5-10km. That's only sometimes. Sometimes the car only uses like 2-3 ltrs every 20-30km. So sometimes the gauge behaves weird. But in winter we waste like $20-30 each fill-up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)