Tags:
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke

Help RE:Bridge Home Hub 3000

Hello,

I currently have Bell HH3000 and until last week I was running my WiFi from that router with the bell pods. I purchased a TP-Link Deco M5 and it has resolved my WiFi issue, getting a better single all over the place. My only issue now is that my brother printer is connected via WiFi and I haven't been able to print anything on it.

When I try to do a fresh install of the drivers onto my computer, it show that no device is connected, even when I try to enter the IP address of the printer it doesn't work. I was told by TP-Link customer support that I have to put my HH3000 router into bridge mode in order for the printer to work. My only concern is that everything in my house is WiFi expect my main PC and gaming console which is direct connected to my HH3000.

If I put the HH3000 into bridge mode would it affect the speed that my PC/gaming console get ? If not, can anyone please let me know how I can put my HH3000 into bridge mode ?

Also please note that I have Bell TV and Bell Home Phone. I don't care about the bell TV as no one watches it but the home phone must work.

Thanks in advance!
26 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
There is no bridge mode with Bell

What you need to do is disable DHCP on your M5

How many M5 units do you have?

Is there an M5 connected to the Home Hub 3000? If you have one, connect it to the LAN port and not the WAN port of the M5 after you disable DHCP on the M5
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Gee wrote: There is no bridge mode with Bell

What you need to do is disable DHCP on your M5

How many M5 units do you have?

Is there an M5 connected to the Home Hub 3000? If you have one, connect it to the LAN port and not the WAN port of the M5 after you disable DHCP on the M5
I have 3 M5 units. One is connected to my HH300 LAN port. The other two is connected to electric outlets only. My PC/gaming console & IPTV box are connected to the other three LAN ports on the HH3000. All other device are connected by WiFi. My M5 is setup as a "Router".

My printer is giving me issue because when it connected to M5's WiFi and I try to install the drivers it says "machine not found", even though it shows connected on the M5 app. When I turn the WiFi on the HH3000 on and I connect my printer to that WiFi the drivers are able to be installed and it finds my machine instantly without any issue.

Will disabling the DHHP on the M5 do the trick or do I need to do other steps as well?
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
tebore wrote: https://www.nigelayen.com/technology/se ... fi-router/

Use PPPoE to bypass the HH3000 and the double nat problem. Turn off the HH3000 wifi.
Will I still be able to use the LAN ports on the HH3000 for direct connection to my PC/gaming console & IPTV ?

If not, I have to buy a switch (I'm assuming) and will my device still get the same speed as I was getting directly connection to the HH3000 with a switch ?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12775 posts
7469 upvotes
Brampton
iHibachi wrote: Will I still be able to use the LAN ports on the HH3000 for direct connection to my PC/gaming console & IPTV ?

If not, I have to buy a switch (I'm assuming) and will my device still get the same speed as I was getting directly connection to the HH3000 with a switch ?
That's right, You won't be able to use the ports on the back of the HH3000 as it will be a different network.

You'll need a gigabit switch connected to the "Router" Deco to connect your TV and Game systems.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Okay, now I seem to understand how the PPPoE system works. My final question is, as stated before I have a M5 3 pack. My total SF is 1,300 and it has concrete walls. Should I get another router/mesh system instead of M5 if I'm going to be using that as my main Router instead of the HH3000.

I spent $229 on this, and I'm currently spending $15 per month on WiFi pods. My budget is around $0 - $400 with tax, willing to higher if needed. For a system that works wells and I can get a decent WiFi throughout the house without switching SSID. Any advise/recommendation ?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
iHibachi wrote: Okay, now I seem to understand how the PPPoE system works. My final question is, as stated before I have a M5 3 pack. My total SF is 1,300 and it has concrete walls. Should I get another router/mesh system instead of M5 if I'm going to be using that as my main Router instead of the HH3000.

I spent $229 on this, and I'm currently spending $15 per month on WiFi pods. My budget is around $0 - $400 with tax, willing to higher if needed. For a system that works wells and I can get a decent WiFi throughout the house without switching SSID. Any advise/recommendation ?
I suggest you keep the Home Hub 3000 as your main router. Because you need VLANs to run the internet, TV and home phone.

As you have figured out, your M5 is set up as a router and you have double NAT. Turning off DHCP or putting the M5 in access point mode should solve all your problems. Your printer will come back to life.

Return the WiFi pods. You don't need them if the M5 is giving you the coverage you need. Personally, I would have gone with a different solution, but you have already made the investment.

Here is a your problem, all your current machines that are plugged into the Home Hub 3000 has an IP of 192.168.2.xxx
Your printer is connected to the M5 WiFi router at 192.168.0.xxx

By disabling DHCP or setting the M5 to access point mode, it will ask the Home Hub 3000 for IPs and your printer will be assigned an IP from 192.168.2.xxx which your wired computers will be able to see.

Just make sure you plug a cable from the Home Hub to a LAN port on the M5 and not the WAN port
Last edited by Gee on Jul 15th, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Gee wrote: I suggest you keep the Home Hub 3000 as your main router. Because you need VLANs to run the internet, TV and home phone.

As you have figured out, your M5 is set up as a router and you have double NAT. Turning off DHCP or putting the M5 in access point mode should solve all your problems. Your printer will come back to life.

Return the WiFi pods. You don't need them if the M5 is giving you the coverage you need. Personally, I would have gone with a different solution, but you have already made the investment.
Still have my return period for the M5, plus I already placed the cancellation call for the pods.

What do you suggest?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
iHibachi wrote: What do you suggest?
I would have gone with an access point.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-EAP245-Wi ... 07NMZR3F1/

But this requires an ethernet back haul. Depending on where your Home Hub 3000 is located, it may or may not be practical. But these access points work considerably better than any extender.

The PPPoE solution mentioned will solve your problem, but you will have other problems because the M5 probably doesn't support VLANs which are required to keep all your services working.

Stick with what I mentioned in post 8
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Gee wrote: I would have gone with an access point.

But this requires an ethernet back haul. Depending on where your Home Hub 3000 is located, it may or may not be practical. But these access points work considerably better than any extender.
Yeah, It's impossible for me to ethernet back haul all my access point. Only possibility is to have one connected and the rest work on WiFI. I'm assuming I have to buy 2/3 units of that AC1750 and connect all them to my modem in order to get best single possible right ?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
iHibachi wrote: Yeah, It's impossible for me to ethernet back haul all my access point. Only possibility is to have one connected and the rest work on WiFI. I'm assuming I have to buy 2/3 units of that AC1750 and connect all them to my modem in order to get best single possible right ?
Maybe not, depending on where your Home Hub 3000 is situated in the house, a single AC1750 maybe adequate. I have a Cisco version of this and I purchased two access points. But one unit covers my entire house. I have mine mounted on the ceiling on the second floor

A single unit next to your Home Hub 3000 maybe enough if you have it on the main floor in the family room or some place central to the house.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Gee wrote: Maybe not, depending on where your Home Hub 3000 is situated in the house, a single AC1750 maybe adequate. I have a Cisco version of this and I purchased two access points. But one unit covers my entire house. I have mine mounted on the ceiling on the second floor

A single unit next to your Home Hub 3000 maybe enough if you have it on the main floor in the family room or some place central to the house.
Well I live in an apartment and my total SF is approx 1,300. Only issue I have concreate walls so the single isn't at great in the other rooms as it is near the modem. I have placed a M5 in every room and so far the single strength is 4/4 but in terms of WiFi it on average of 200 - 500 mbps. If I got rid of the M5 and just used my Bell WifI the strength would drop dramatically in each room plus on average I would get like 15 - 50 mbps.

I am willing to spend money on a decent router if that better then the HH3000, however my issue is with WiFi. Even if I get a high end tier router for like $200 - $400, I don't think it will solve my WiFi problem, and I can't have wired access point.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
iHibachi wrote: I am willing to spend money on a decent router if that better then the HH3000, however my issue is with WiFi. Even if I get a high end tier router for like $200 - $400, I don't think it will solve my WiFi problem, and I can't have wired access point.
As you stated, the router is not the problem. I hate to admit it, but the Home Hub 3000 is a decent router. If you want the fastest possible speed, you need to deploy access points.

Try my solution with the M5 first. This will at least get your printer working.

I still suggest you try a single AC1750. Concrete is definitely going to be a challenge, but I doubt all the walls are concrete, maybe a single retaining wall. Is this a 2 floor condo?
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Gee wrote: As you stated, the router is not the problem. I hate to admit it, but the Home Hub 3000 is a decent router. If you want the fastest possible speed, you need to deploy access points.

Try my solution with the M5 first. This will at least get your printer working.

I still suggest you try a single AC1750. Concrete is definitely going to be a challenge, but I doubt all the walls are concrete, maybe a single retaining wall. Is this a 2 floor condo?
No a single floor, three bedroom. I just did a speed test on each of M5 installed and I get roughly 600 MBPS download speed on them. On the device that speed drops to 100 - 300 mbps.

After I put the M5 into access point I'm getting 450 mbps download speed and 760 mbps upload speed. Device speed similar.

For the AC1750, simply use that as a access point or router ? And I would unplug all the Deco M5 I have when I try that system right?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
iHibachi wrote: For the AC1750, simply use that as a access point or router ? And I would unplug all the Deco M5 I have when I try that system right?
The EAP245 is an access point only. There is no router. If it works, it will replace the Deco M5

Can you print from your computer now?
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Gee wrote: The EAP245 is an access point only. There is no router. If it works, it will replace the Deco M5

Can you print from your computer now?
Yeah, I put the Deco M5 into AP and now all the IP address are 192.168.2.xxx. Thanks a lot for your help. Appreciate it.

Now I have to see if I wanna keep the Deco M5 or try other mesh network to increase the speed in other rooms. Thinking about doing hardwire ethernet for all access point, only issue is hiding the cable.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
iHibachi wrote: Now I have to see if I wanna keep the Deco M5 or try other mesh network to increase the speed in other rooms. Thinking about doing hardwire ethernet for all access point, only issue is hiding the cable.
Don’t confuse an access point with mesh. It is not mesh. The Bell pods are mesh. The M5 sounds like it is an extender over powerline.

The EAP245 is an access point and requires an Ethernet back haul. You can hook up multiple EAP245 units but it will need a controller to manage the access points. This can be done on a computer easily and will give you the best speed.

If you were able to run wires for these access points, you can easily run the wire into a switch so you can hard wire your printer and other devices that have Ethernet ports. If you have carpet, wires will be easy to hide

I have coverage in a decent sized house with a single access point, you may want to consider it. But you have everything working now, not sure if you want to muck with it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12775 posts
7469 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote: I would have gone with an access point.

The PPPoE solution mentioned will solve your problem, but you will have other problems because the M5 probably doesn't support VLANs which are required to keep all your services working.

Stick with what I mentioned in post 8
If he uses the PPPoE pass thru. He won't have a problem and won't need VLANs. The HH3000 still functions to provide TV and the other stuff. Via it's own network. That's actually how the Fibe was first designed when bell pushed out the whole FTTH system but they dropped the PPPoE part as a requirement to make it more "User friendly"

The PPPoE pass thru on the M5 will create a separate network for his other stuff (personal network) and it will work seamlessly.
It's essentially like using a DMZ. Which he could also do if he wanted do on the HH3000 but the PPPoE is less of a headache.

The M5 set will not be able to be able to provide full access to the 1gbps that you're paying for because you're using wireless to connect them up. Half the bandwidth is gone just creating the mesh.

The TP-Link AP is what I would suggest as well but it's a little more work and it sounds like OP doesn't have the background to get it all up. You don't need a controller running all the time. Just use the TP-Link app to set up one or many APs and it's done. It's kinda like setting up a Unifi AP you only need the controller once to provision and then you can leave it.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
69 posts
17 upvotes
Etobicoke
Gee wrote: Don’t confuse an access point with mesh. It is not mesh. The Bell pods are mesh. The M5 sounds like it is an extender over powerline.

The EAP245 is an access point and requires an Ethernet back haul. You can hook up multiple EAP245 units but it will need a controller to manage the access points. This can be done on a computer easily and will give you the best speed.

If you were able to run wires for these access points, you can easily run the wire into a switch so you can hard wire your printer and other devices that have Ethernet ports. If you have carpet, wires will be easy to hide

I have coverage in a decent sized house with a single access point, you may want to consider it. But you have everything working now, not sure if you want to muck with it.
Thank you, I'll try it out. Worst case I can always return it.

Only problem is that the AP will beside my modem so the connect in the living room and the room closest to the living room will get decent connection. My concern will be around the other two back room where I recently just placed the 2 M5.

If a single AP is able to get me strong single strength and decent WiFi speed, I will most certainly keep it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)