Help in removing wasp nest in backyard

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2019 11:23 am
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
12 posts
1 upvote

Help in removing wasp nest in backyard

So I noticed a wasp nest last night located at the edge of the roof of my big shed in my backyard. There were TONS of wasps flying around. This morning not many wasps around but I assume they're just out doing their thing. I've attached 2 pics of the nest. Sorry for the blurriness...had to zoom in from the ground (it's high up) and also the leaves are covering a lot of it (the wall of shed has leaves covering it from a big tree right beside the shed). I need some advice on how to get rid of the nest (and wasps).

1) Should I get a spray foam can from Home Depot/Canadian Tire? Any recommendations for a particular brand or maybe a link to the exact product that you've used in the past with success?
2) Do I need to wear any special protective gear? The pictures below don't really show any wasps but there TONS last night when it was still bright out. I'll probably spray some foam when it gets kinda dark and activity is minimal. But still, my mind is imagining myself spraying the foam and then some wasps come out quickly and kill me...
3) Would the foam kill them or just trap them inside?
4) How do I dispose of the nest afterwards? Just chuck it in the garbage?
Thanks everyone
23 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
That's pretty big, lol, looks like a baldfaced hornet nest.

Do it later in the evening when there is little activity around the nest, most of the wasp will be inside. Do not use a ladder to gain access to it. Have a lot of cans of spray bomb. Take a test shot away from the nest to see if the spray will even hit the nest from where you are. Have a really long pole.

Spray the hell out of the nest, I recommend a can per each hand and as many as 6-10 cans in total. Keep focus on the entry/exit near the base of the nest use the other directly at the nest. When all cans have been used up, smash it with the pole. Run inside. Inspect the next day and leave the nest as is. It will prevent other wasps from building a nest there, take it out in the fall.

Do this while exposing no skin. If you can't hit it from where you are, call in a pro. I've done this a few times and it's pretty nuts if the wasps are able to exit while you are engaged in battle. I've only been stung a few dozen times, it's no biggie unless you are allergic and more so if you don't know you are allergic.

If the wasps are not bothering you, leave them be as they will pack it in soon and they never return to the same location IIRC.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 31, 2005
485 posts
31 upvotes
You can use wd40 to spray inside. The wings get wet and can't fly. Then just light the nest with a match. The wasps will pop. Do it at night
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24874 posts
2010 upvotes
Markham, ON
any007 wrote: You can use wd40 to spray inside. The wings get wet and can't fly. Then just light the nest with a match. The wasps will pop. Do it at night
did you even see the leaves???
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
12 posts
1 upvote
koffey wrote: That's pretty big, lol, looks like a baldfaced hornet nest.

Do it later in the evening when there is little activity around the nest, most of the wasp will be inside. Do not use a ladder to gain access to it. Have a lot of cans of spray bomb. Take a test shot away from the nest to see if the spray will even hit the nest from where you are. Have a really long pole.

Spray the hell out of the nest, I recommend a can per each hand and as many as 6-10 cans in total. Keep focus on the entry/exit near the base of the nest use the other directly at the nest. When all cans have been used up, smash it with the pole. Run inside. Inspect the next day and leave the nest as is. It will prevent other wasps from building a nest there, take it out in the fall.

Do this while exposing no skin. If you can't hit it from where you are, call in a pro. I've done this a few times and it's pretty nuts if the wasps are able to exit while you are engaged in battle. I've only been stung a few dozen times, it's no biggie unless you are allergic and more so if you don't know you are allergic.

If the wasps are not bothering you, leave them be as they will pack it in soon and they never return to the same location IIRC.
It's the size of a bowling ball roughly.

What kind of spray are you talking about? I was thinking a foam spray like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/wilson ... 1000111428

6-10 cans?! Jesus...I was thinking 1 can...maybe 2 cans lol.

I don't think I want to smash it with a pole...or smash it at all. My plan was to cover it in foam so that they can't get out and I think the foam kills them too, then after a couple days I'll take the nest down and chuck it in the garbage.

And yeah I'm going to wear pants, boots, sweater, hat, gloves, maybe even goggles. You've been stung a few dozen times? Holy crap...that seems nightmarish to me..........

If I leave the nest alone, would they do any damage to the shed or yard?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10002 posts
1878 upvotes
Toronto
Yes one can is enough. Yes you must get rid of it. Google why

I got rid of a wasps nest last year. Half the size of yours

When you spray, you need to try ro get it inside the hole from the bottom. Spray lots follow the instructions.

Do it near night time as most of them will return back to the nest.

When I did it, the spray stuck but as I sprayed more, it clumped and dripped the hole was again unplugged

Had to redo. Spray and spray.

Then waited for a day for no activity, tried to use my gold club to knock it off. Turns out some flew out still alive.

So again, spray and wait.

Finally, I saw lots of wasps dead on the ground, nest has no activity, knocked it down and threw in garbage.

YouTube this, there's lots of funny videos. Someone used a power washer, some used a drone, some used a badminton racket!! That was the funniest
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8934 upvotes
Edmonton
any007 wrote: You can use wd40 to spray inside. The wings get wet and can't fly. Then just light the nest with a match. The wasps will pop. Do it at night
OP, if you do this, please do it at night. And have someone recording it! :)

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
Should he call the fire department before or after his house is on fire ?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1045 posts
500 upvotes
Longueuil
Since we are already at the end of August, personally I would just leave it there and destroy it in the winter when it is safe (and you don't need to buy anything). I also had a big nest about 3 years ago in a weeping tree. I was cutting some lower branches and noticed there were many wasps. 30 seconds later I was attacked, I got stung 6-7 times on the left ear, face and neck (not fun at all). I finished the job in winter clothing (balaclava, gloves...) and I just left the nest there. In the winter I simply trashed it (they didn't come back the next year). From what I read, I believe only the queen will be there in the winter (and she won't do anything at that time).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
12 posts
1 upvote
JEDI Force wrote: Since we are already at the end of August, personally I would just leave it there and destroy it in the winter when it is safe (and you don't need to buy anything). I also had a big nest about 3 years ago in a weeping tree. I was cutting some lower branches and noticed there were many wasps. 30 seconds later I was attacked, I got stung 6-7 times on the left ear, face and neck (not fun at all). I finished the job in winter clothing (balaclava, gloves...) and I just left the nest there. In the winter I simply trashed it (they didn't come back the next year). From what I read, I believe only the queen will be there in the winter (and she won't do anything at that time).
If I just leave it be, is there any chance that it'll damage the shed that it's attached to?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6649 posts
2991 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
One can is more than enough. Just get the stuff that shoots long distance. Do it at night when it's dark and cool and soak the nest. They'll be all dead by morning.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4837 posts
4898 upvotes
Vancouver
marksefor wrote: If I just leave it be, is there any chance that it'll damage the shed that it's attached to?
No. Just leave it be. You're much more likely to get into trouble trying to remove it. Wasps generally aren't very aggressive if you leave them alone, and they're good for the environment. Winter will get rid of them soon enough.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12039 posts
2373 upvotes
Toronto
I had one in my front tree. just had too many flying around during the day. Hired a guy Was massive, like a small beach ball. I ended up giving him one of my larger garbage bags as he brought a puny one. I think it was under $100. Did it in like 10 mins.
Jun 2, 2012
328 posts
311 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Don’t use the sprays. We had a bigger nest and a little one close by and the sprays were useless. Unless you hit each hornet directly, they were not bothered by any of the 5 sprays I bought. We sprayed directly inside the nest and nothing. Waste of money and time

We ended up getting professionals come in. I wish I hadn’t spent the $50 bucks on the sprays and wasted time and just called them from the start. Honestly, this is not a worthwhile DIY and I’m the type to do everything I can myself including drywall repairs and appliance repair. It took them about 20 minutes and they sprayed stuff all around the house to prevent future infiltrations. The hornets were gone within a day and haven’t returned.
Feb 14, 2004
227 posts
38 upvotes
Delta, BC
We had good luck destroying wasp nests using a gas pressure washer and 0 degree nozzle. It shots far and is strong to damage the nest.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1339 posts
1035 upvotes
HAMILTON
Foam sprays that shoot 10' or more work well when done in the evening. Just cover the whole thing really well and let it sit overnight. If still some activity the next day, repeat.

Cans are cheap enough. One should but have 2 just in case.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3543 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b - we hired someone as well and paid what you did. No way were we about to handle it ourselves. I am just glad that they were not honey bees because that can become an issue when it comes to removal. OP I suggest you hire someone to do the job. They will come dressed in the appropriate gear and know how to handle the situation.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
12 posts
1 upvote
Blanche123 wrote: at1212b - we hired someone as well and paid what you did. No way were we about to handle it ourselves. I am just glad that they were not honey bees because that can become an issue when it comes to removal. OP I suggest you hire someone to do the job. They will come dressed in the appropriate gear and know how to handle the situation.
Why don't you think you couldn't get rid of it yourself? Was the nest really massive? Or were they really aggressive?
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
12 posts
1 upvote
koffey wrote: If the wasps are not bothering you, leave them be as they will pack it in soon and they never return to the same location IIRC.
JEDI Force wrote: Since we are already at the end of August, personally I would just leave it there and destroy it in the winter when it is safe (and you don't need to buy anything). I also had a big nest about 3 years ago in a weeping tree. I was cutting some lower branches and noticed there were many wasps. 30 seconds later I was attacked, I got stung 6-7 times on the left ear, face and neck (not fun at all). I finished the job in winter clothing (balaclava, gloves...) and I just left the nest there. In the winter I simply trashed it (they didn't come back the next year). From what I read, I believe only the queen will be there in the winter (and she won't do anything at that time).
Scote64 wrote:
No. Just leave it be. You're much more likely to get into trouble trying to remove it. Wasps generally aren't very aggressive if you leave them alone, and they're good for the environment. Winter will get rid of them soon enough.
Ok so I think I've decided to just leave it be. I figure the nest didn't just pop up overnight, it must've been there for awhile (at least several weeks, maybe even months) and it obviously hasn't bothered me yet or stung me. I don't do much in my yard, particularly near the nest...pretty much only mowing the lawn. So if I leave it alone, there won't be any negative consequences. Plus I figure with all the leaves surrounding the nest, it might make it difficult to get the spray/foam to cover every inch of the nest.

Does anyone have an idea on when the wasps will die off or the nest abandoned? Does it depend on the temperature or something else? I'm hoping I don't need to wait until it starts snowing before removing the nest. I also want to get rid of all the leaves/branches that are clinging around the shed and figure it'll be easier before snow starts. I want to get rid of the leaves as I assume they are advantageous for nests to provide provide protection and hide their location, so getting rid of them will mean less chance of nests in the future.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4948 upvotes
Here 'n There
dilligafeh wrote: Should he call the fire department before or after his house is on fire ?
If he is going to do this then prolly best for him to call before so there are witnesses to what an idiot he is.