• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2019 3:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 24, 2017
143 posts
204 upvotes

Help selecting laptop

I need to purchase a new laptop. Mainly used for work (emails, research, MS Project, web-based apps, a little CAD, etc.), but also for some personal use (videos, web browsing, netflix for the kids, etc.). I know that aside from the CAD stuff, this isn't exactly demanding usage. I do want something that's a decent build quality and that won't be out of date the second I buy it. Hoping for 10th gen processor, 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD. My price range is up to $1300 max. I found this one on Costco.ca, but I'm wary of HP build quality and would prefer a smaller screen.

https://www.costco.ca/hp-pavilion-x360- ... 21199.html

Any advice, input or help is greatly appreciated! I used to be knowledgeable about this kind of thing but have been "out of the game" so to speak for a long time. Feel free to explain things to me like I'm a 7 year old!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2003 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

You're being very vague in the features you need to have in your laptop, that will make it useful for your work. Are you looking for a conventional laptop or a convertible laptop with touch screen features? You would like to have a smaller screen, do you have a particular size in mind? Wouldn't a larger screen display your CAD stuff better? Does your CAD stuff require I-7 processor power or is I-5 processor power more than adequate? Typically a laptop will last 5-7 years, in which time it might get damage or have component failure or the CAD stuff might get a major upgrade. In which case, you'll need to buy a new laptop. Unlike a home PC, it's a waste of money to future proof it. Are either of these laptops better than the HP from Costco?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 0/13655335
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... m/13847139
[OP]
Feb 24, 2017
143 posts
204 upvotes
Thanks for the input, some good options there. I'm not sure how to be more specific about the features I need. I mean, I'm technically getting by right now with a 4 year old Asus "ultrabook" that has a core m3 processor, 4gb of ram, 256gb SSD, and oddly enough a 13.3" QHD screen that seems to be better than most new ones. My ideal size for a screen would be 14", slightly larger than what I have now but not as bulky as a 15"+. I use an external monitor when I'm actually doing the CAD stuff; I'm not doing any rendering, mostly just plotting points for on-site layout with a robotic total station. It is extremely inefficient with the machine I'm using now and I think that likely has to do with the processor more than anything, which is why I ideally want a 10th generation i7.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2003 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

You do realize that an I-3 processor is a huge upgrade from a M-3 processor & an I-7 processor is more than 8 times faster than an I-3 processor. From what I can gather, your ideal device would be a convertible laptop with a 14" display, I-7 processor, 16 gb. ram, 256 SSD & HDMI/display port connectivity. With those kinds of specs., your choices are going to be limited & they're going to be pricey. If you're willing to downgrade to an I-5 processor, you'll have more choices.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13112 posts
2363 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Chris883 wrote: I do want something that's a decent build quality and that won't be out of date the second I buy it.
Contrary to a lot of people's opinion, many old computers are fine for most users these days. Gone are the days when you're thinking of the next upgrade as soon as you buy a new computer.

Keep an eye on the CPU model to see if there is a trailing "U" = ultra low voltage when comparing. U is more efficient, but if you don't care about maximum battery life, you may opt for an i5 versus i7U.

Me, I'm a ThinkPad fan. Been using them for 20 years and wouldn't buy any other notebook. I generally buy them used.