[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4515 posts
1872 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Help selecting a security camera

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a little guidance on selecting an outdoor security camera for our home. At present I am looking to install 1 (maybe 2 but the second is far from a certainty at this time) outdoor security cameras on our home. I am stumped as to what I should do as I am not super familiar with this field. I am pretty open to hearing my options but have a few thoughts that can perhaps help with the recommendations.

-I like the idea of something wired, ideally POE. In the location I already have a couple spare ethernet cables available in my attic I ran in the past and have yet to use. They run back to my utility room where all my network gear, Lutron hub, SmartThings hub, etc are located. I like the idea of not worrying about batteries on the wireless options, as well I don't a soffit receptacle near by. I can certainly add one if need be but prefer not to, not to mention it's not the nicest look if I have a cord hanging there.

-The corner (or corners if I do 2) are essentially the 2 furthest spots outside of my home from the router so again I don't know WiFi would be as reliable

-I like the idea of something that is "permanently" attached, versus something that a person can smack off the soffit by throwing something at it

-I want something that is good in day and night conditions, and is motion activated

-Ideally (if possible) I prefer something that has some sort of iPhone app and easy to use. I'd like to be able to monitor remotely while outside of the house if I get a notification.

-Some form of local storage or non-monthly subscription is a high priority

-A system that will easy allow me to expand with a second camera should I decide to do so

Any help is greatly appreciated, this is definitely an area I really don't know what options are out there and what might fit the bill for what I am looking to do. I am an electrician and tech savvy so am 100% comfortable with any installation requirements, just not comfortable figuring out what I should be buying. ha ha. Thanks in advance!
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33809 posts
7451 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
What’s your budget? I suggest you get commercial grade cameras. Sounds like you’re leaning towards IP and not TVI

You’re going to need a PoE switch, an NVR or NAS for the recording. Now you need to decide if you want a bullet, dome or PTZ (Pan, Tilt and Zoom) camera.

I suggest you install multiple cameras to cover the perimeter of the house.

Depending on your recording system, you should be able to get a phone app to access the recordings. Viewing the cameras live is easy with IP.
Last edited by Gee on Feb 11th, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4515 posts
1872 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Thanks for the response. Upon reading that I would say it is safe to say I have some reading to do. I'm certainly more out of the loop than I realized. For the wired market I take it there is nothing as straight forward/plug and play as the wireless offerings by companies like Nest and Arlo?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33809 posts
7451 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Sorry, what I meant to say in my original post is to NOT get consumer grade cameras.

You can usually find a cheap kit for $300 - $800 depending on the number they of cameras for consumer grade product. But as with everything in life, you get what you pay for. Consumer stuff is generally junk.

Wired product requires a little more setup, but it is well worth the effort.

Nest and Arlo are web based products and require a subscription.
Apr 13, 2015
325 posts
452 upvotes
Alberta
I just bought an Arlo Pro set from Best Buy. They are supposed to be awesome, but have one major flaw for me. It uses IR for motion, and not pixels. That is a huge deal breaker for me, as they won't detect motion through windows very well. And they won't be able to handle our winters with the battery alone. If I buy power cables for each one, it could be okay... I'm thinking about it.
So if you want them for inside, they would be good. Free cloud recording is the major win on these cameras, it also has a base with a siren/alarm.

There are some decent Chinese cameras you can get for a decent price. Some of them, like the Yi, ask for too much permission on your mobile device. Some other cameras allow you to use third party apps, which could have better privacy policy. This one for example: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/232483948092

Another that I've heard good things about is this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076H3SRXG