• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2022 8:28 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19704 posts
2434 upvotes

HELP someone who has gone through iZev w/a preorder

We are looking at getting a new EV this year. I am strongly looking at the Tesla Model Y, which, if we ordered today, would likely not be delivered (nor would I need to pay for it) until late summer.

Meanwhile, the government has strongly hinted that there are going to be changes in the upcoming budget to expand the iZev rebate to include more vehicles (source: https://electricautonomy.ca/2021/12/15/ ... e-program/ )

Here is what I am trying to figure out. Let's say I order a Model Y today. Then the iZev rebate expands in May. Then I take delivery and pay for it in June. Am I going to qualify for the new rebate? Or the old one?

Has anyone who has gone through the iZev process with a pre-ordered vehicle explain how your forms went? Are they looking for the date of order, or date of delivery and payment? iZev has to go through the dealer so how did this work for you?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6179 posts
2830 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
I think you're overthinking things.
brunes wrote: Here is what I am trying to figure out. Let's say I order a Model Y today. Then the iZev rebate expands in May. Then I take delivery and pay for it in June. Am I going to qualify for the new rebate? Or the old one?
The only thing that matters is what rebate is available at the time of delivery.
brunes wrote: Has anyone who has gone through the iZev process with a pre-ordered vehicle explain how your forms went?
The iZev discount is automatically applied by a dealer at the time of payment. I'd assume it would be the same with Tesla.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2070 posts
2206 upvotes
Toronto
Date of delivery.

Date of purchase is irrelevant.

Of course you run the risk of no iZEV credit at all when you pick up the vehicle as well.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19704 posts
2434 upvotes
xjesterxx wrote: Date of delivery.

Date of purchase is irrelevant.

Of course you run the risk of no iZEV credit at all when you pick up the vehicle as well.
Agreed - however we're basically set on the Y at this point as it is the only EV in Canada that meets our needs. The lag between order and delivery right now is about 6 months though.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings