• Jul 8th, 2017 10:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 27, 2013
42 posts
18 upvotes
Burnaby

Help with Tenant

Hey guys, I've been searching the web for some help on how to deal with tenants. I'm hoping to get some perspective or ideas on how to deal with this. Am I being unreasonable? Should I just write a warning letter?

In general I like my tenant, but he brings over questionable friends which is drawing more attention than I would like. The final straw was coming home to police parked in front of my house looking for the owner of an illegally parked vehicle (no insurance, wrong licence plates). When I told my tenant to go talk to the police standing outside he ignored me and had his friends close the door. Tenant is young (early 20's) keeping in mind that he may not be as mature/experienced I've been trying to be flexible and patient.

Issue(s):
  • tenant continues to park illegally (uninsured vehicle) in front of the house despite a verbal warning.
  • tenants friends have also been parking illegally (blocking my driveway, neighbours driveway, or up on the lawn), I have sent a written text asking tenant to talk with their friends about this.
  • tenant is conducting a business out of his unit (selling items online).
  • tenant is at times late paying rent (1-2 times a year)

Under the BC Residential Tenancy I found the following qualifies for eviction: Link HERE
  • Significantly interfered with or unreasonably disturbed the landlord or other occupants
  • Engaged in illegal activity that has adversely affected the quiet enjoyment, security, safety or physical well-being of the landlord or other occupants

Next Steps
I'm thinking of writing an official warning letter stating that if there are any other issues (i.e. illegal parking, late rent) he will be served an end of tenancy notice.

Thoughts?
3 replies
Jul 18, 2007
138 posts
15 upvotes
London
Sounds to me like he should get the boot.

Is he even protected under tenant laws if you are living in the same dwelling?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2027 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear of your plight.
Give him notice and in the meanwhile maybe videotape a few of the incidents(police visits etc) if they happen in case the tenant board decides to call you in.
Chances are he might trash your place or already have.
Not sure how landlord inspections work but might be a good time for a spontaneous inspection before giving him notice.
It might give you further ammunition to oust him if he already trashed the place or be useful in future(small claims court for example) if he trashes the place before he leaves.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)