• Sep 15th, 2021 1:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 17, 2007
387 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

Help with Tire Sizing

Sorry it is another tire sizing question but I have searched online and compared tire sizes on different sites and hope someone can confirm my findings.

Car: 2011 Nissan Altima S Sedan
Standard tire specs: 215/60R16

A family member has a set of low mileage 225/45/R17 winter tires they are not using and they are already on rims. It was used on a BMW sedan before.

Is it possible to install this r17 set on the Altima without any safety issue?

On one of the sites I used (can't remember which one but I found link in another thread), it says the diameter of the r17 set has a ~5% differential; is this a warning that the tires should not be used? Also, I think the bolt specs of the rims may not work for Altima?

I have very basic knowledge of car mechanical stuff so any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1708 posts
596 upvotes
Vancouver
You can take off the tires and use them but BMW bolt pattern 5x112 not compatible with Nissan 5x114.3 so you can't use the wheels.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
The 17" size for your car is 215/55R17. These BMW tires are 5% smaller, that's too much of a difference. You should aim for ±3%. ±1% is even better. You'll notice that the 3 factory sizes are no more than 0.4% different.

Not to mention that he BMW wheels will not fit at all.

Overall, this isn't gonna work.
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
@lekkel no problem!

I guess one other detail to help you under stand why the BMW wheels won't fit is the wheel specs you alluded to. It's called pitch circle diameter (PCD) and it's the spacing between the bolt holes.

Nissan has a PCD of 114.3 mm
BMW has a PCD of 120 mm

The wheel must match the vehicle's PCD, otherwise you cannot bolt the wheel on. There are some other details to consider when evaluating wheel options, but that is the main one you should be aware of right now.
Images
  • pcd_5_stud.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5096 posts
2003 upvotes
lekkel wrote: Sorry it is another tire sizing question but I have searched online and compared tire sizes on different sites and hope someone can confirm my findings.

Car: 2011 Nissan Altima S Sedan
Standard tire specs: 215/60R16

A family member has a set of low mileage 225/45/R17 winter tires they are not using and they are already on rims. It was used on a BMW sedan before.

Is it possible to install this r17 set on the Altima without any safety issue?

On one of the sites I used (can't remember which one but I found link in another thread), it says the diameter of the r17 set has a ~5% differential; is this a warning that the tires should not be used? Also, I think the bolt specs of the rims may not work for Altima?

I have very basic knowledge of car mechanical stuff so any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Use this:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2