• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 10:16 am
[OP]
Oct 13, 2012
79 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto

HELP, TIRE TAX charges ILLEGAL/LEGAL from Princess Auto

Hello, I am asking this question here because I assume this would be a reasonable question for this forum. I will check and delet or ??? if it turns out to be in the wrong place.

I just bought 4 rubber tires for a lawn cart which was cahrged 4.00 per tire for tire tax. This being odd for a few reasons. 1) the tires are not allowed for road use, they are 10 inch solid rubber for which there is not, never was, never will be any cost to the seller for collection of management of used tires.
2) The cost of the tires was just under 8.00 and then a 4.00 tire tax is absurd. And Princess Auto has no fees to be re-imbusred for since they don't collect any tires and certainly not these.
3) I pay for electronics, I pay for batteries, and I pay for ato tires because they are dealt with according to regulations which bear a cost.
4) these rubber tires will end up in normal trash at the end of their lives, they do not go to environment agencies or special programs to dispose of them. Nor do the tires on my bicycle, lawn mower, or roller baldes.

It seems to read that the seller can recover their costs for tires, and can cahrge a fee as long as it is a separate item listed on the bill.

Is this legitimate. I will have to read alot more than I have patience to do, to find the excat definition, so that I can decide to keep the tires now at 12.00 each not 8 , or to return them and buy the same tires from another store which may/may not charge a tire tax.

For all I know I might find that the small toy cars from the dollar store which sell for 1-4 dollars also have a tire taxt which might just be an additional 16.00 for the hot wheels car. So now my dollar store will be 1$ or more with potential to be 16.00.

Or should I pursue further with government regarding what I see as a baltant abuse of a reasonable tire tax when it is a car tire.

Thanks for looking,

and again, if it not within the realm of this forum, I will appreciate someone having it removed

Thank you Alex
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19433 posts
22549 upvotes
GTA
deals4ian wrote: Hello, I am asking this question here because I assume this would be a reasonable question for this forum. I will check and delet or ??? if it turns out to be in the wrong place.

I just bought 4 rubber tires for a lawn cart which was cahrged 4.00 per tire for tire tax. This being odd for a few reasons. 1) the tires are not allowed for road use, they are 10 inch solid rubber for which there is not, never was, never will be any cost to the seller for collection of management of used tires.
2) The cost of the tires was just under 8.00 and then a 4.00 tire tax is absurd. And Princess Auto has no fees to be re-imbusred for since they don't collect any tires and certainly not these.
3) I pay for electronics, I pay for batteries, and I pay for ato tires because they are dealt with according to regulations which bear a cost.
4) these rubber tires will end up in normal trash at the end of their lives, they do not go to environment agencies or special programs to dispose of them. Nor do the tires on my bicycle, lawn mower, or roller baldes.

It seems to read that the seller can recover their costs for tires, and can cahrge a fee as long as it is a separate item listed on the bill.

Is this legitimate. I will have to read alot more than I have patience to do, to find the excat definition, so that I can decide to keep the tires now at 12.00 each not 8 , or to return them and buy the same tires from another store which may/may not charge a tire tax.

For all I know I might find that the small toy cars from the dollar store which sell for 1-4 dollars also have a tire taxt which might just be an additional 16.00 for the hot wheels car. So now my dollar store will be 1$ or more with potential to be 16.00.

Or should I pursue further with government regarding what I see as a baltant abuse of a reasonable tire tax when it is a car tire.

Thanks for looking,

and again, if it not within the realm of this forum, I will appreciate someone having it removed

Thank you Alex
Why did you buy them with the fees? Or were they added after you completed your purchase?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2503 upvotes
One can argue about the ridiculous tax rules all day. For example, I gotta pay GST on drinkable yogurts because of their small size or something. How about eliminating GST on all dairy, regardless of size or flavours?!
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15230 posts
20497 upvotes
Vancouver
OP I feel your pain but these are not taxes. They are not government set. They are an attempt by manufacturers and retailers to fool you by showing a lower sticker price than what the actual selling price is.
This does seem like an outrageous markup and would be worth looking in to. I’d be mighty upset too if this happened to me.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2012
79 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Why did you buy them with the fees? Or were they added after you completed your purchase?
[/quoteThey did not devulge the cost at the item page where its cost was listed. They did not list the tax on the cart summary page where my 4 wheels had individual item costs and totals for all 4. They only appeared after 3 screens into checkout. I know the price of the wheels, I can calculate the GST I can also get estimate for shipping charge but YOU CANNOT SEE THE COST OF THE TIRE TAX, and in fact the mention of tire tax is listed as might be added...So when you are 1 screen away from done, there is an entry for the tax. I would have not added them to my cart but thats not the big issue. It is what it is but by many views its a sneaky way to do that business.

I had 20 items in my cart to checkout, that why it was easy to miss it. And a shock when I did realize it was there. Cheers Alex
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15230 posts
20497 upvotes
Vancouver
deals4ian wrote: YOU CANNOT SEE THE COST OF THE TIRE TAX, and in fact the mention of tire tax is listed as might be added...So when you are 1 screen away from done, there is an entry for the tax.
Ian you keep mentioning "tire tax" but it is important to understand that this is not a tax: The government doesn't put it on, and the money doesn't go to government. The retailers and manufacturers keep it. Yes it "feels" like a tax when it is hidden from you until the end, but that is the point: To fool people into believing it's a tax who will then blame government instead of blaming the people who are really responsible.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6042 posts
7442 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote: Ian you keep mentioning "tire tax" but it is important to understand that this is not a tax: The government doesn't put it on, and the money doesn't go to government. The retailers and manufacturers keep it. Yes it "feels" like a tax when it is hidden from you until the end, but that is the point: To fool people into believing it's a tax who will then blame government instead of blaming the people who are really responsible.
They don't just keep the money, it's used to cover the cost of recycling.

In British Columbia, Extended Producer Responsibility is a government strategy to place the responsibility for end-of-life product management on the producer and consumers and not the general taxpayer or local government. In March 2006, the BC Ministry of Environment added tires to the Recycling Regulation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)