Food & Drink

Help - Trying to cook Rice (Jasmine) in a InstaPot but always comes out watery and mushy.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2019 7:41 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2452 posts
516 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Help - Trying to cook Rice (Jasmine) in a InstaPot but always comes out watery and mushy.

Hello,

We had the Tiger Brand rice cooker. but had an unfortunate accident with it, my wife put it on the ceramic cooktop when it was still hot and it melted away the bottom exposing the hydro wires, which is a electrical and fire hazard. We ended up buying the InstaPot cus it was on sale for a really good price. We cook meats and chickens and chillis no problem in the InstaPot but every time we cook Rice, the Jasmine kind, it comes out so mushy and watery. What the heck are we doing wrong? we use the Rice setting, and have done it WITH and WITHOUT the pressure setting and still no dice. any ideas?
Hi
91 replies
Dec 29, 2012
818 posts
258 upvotes
Scarborough
I cook 2 cups rice with 2 1/2 cup water. i press the warmer button then the rice button. note i cook it with cold water. about 35-40 mins after it turns off (lo 40), i take the inside pot out.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7309 posts
2552 upvotes
Markham
I think you use the cup provided...2 cups rice, add water to the 2 mark on the side.

6 min manual pressure, natural release.

This is around 26 min total time from ON to finish product.

This video says 4 min manual pressure, I don't think it make much difference. Go 5 min of you want to split the difference.

Report back.
Last edited by gr8dlr on Jul 26th, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23358 posts
8985 upvotes
Here's how I do it in a regular pressure cooker:

1 unit of rice (doesn't matter how much, as long as you make note of this unit)
Wash 5 times or until the water is clear. Drain reasonably well. A little leftover is fine because rice needs a hair more water than 1:1.
1 unit of water.
5 minutes high pressure then time release.

I don't know what the "Rice" setting does, but if you can force high pressure do that.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2260 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
Just made coconut rice the other day. I usually make a big batch, freeze it on a tray, then transfer to ziploc bags.
Use it as an occasional add on for meals.

Standard with Jasmine is 2 cups rice and 2.25 cups liquid, 5 minutes high pressure, 10 minute natural release.
This last time, I was distracted and only opened it up after 18 minutes of natural release.
The end product was so much soggier and stickier.

So if not the liquid to rice ratio, might be leaving it in too long before opening pot?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1981 posts
717 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
shikotee wrote:
Jul 27th, 2019 9:16 am
Just made coconut rice the other day.
Recipe, please.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7309 posts
2552 upvotes
Markham
shikotee wrote:
Jul 27th, 2019 9:16 am
Just made coconut rice the other day. I usually make a big batch, freeze it on a tray, then transfer to ziploc bags.
Use it as an occasional add on for meals.

Standard with Jasmine is 2 cups rice and 2.25 cups liquid, 5 minutes high pressure, 10 minute natural release.
This last time, I was distracted and only opened it up after 18 minutes of natural release.
The end product was so much soggier and stickier.

So if not the liquid to rice ratio, might be leaving it in too long before opening pot?
Too much water is almost always the problem if rice is soggy/mushy. In the restaurants, they hold rice for hours.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5023 posts
2078 upvotes
not all the instant pots cook rice well. Ironically the higher end like the Ultra cooks it the worst, and takes longer to cook, compared to their lower end models.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2452 posts
516 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
okay, of the 5 different suggestions which one should I try? I just want to follow one simple way to make good rice, i do not have time for trial and error, i also do not have 26 to 30 mins to cook a batch of rice that took 5-6 mins in my old broken tiger brand rice cooker
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1925 posts
612 upvotes
Edmonton
My only Instant Pot rice whiff was with jasmine rice, although it's my own fault as I didn't read the bag and simply assumed it was a 1:2 ratio like pretty much every other rice.

I generally put in 1.5 cups of rice, 3 cups water, and a sprinkle of salt, dried onion, and maybe a teaspoon of oil. Manual on high for 4 minutes and then vent 10 minutes after it finishes.

With the jasmine rice you'd probably need at least 2 cups of rice to 3 cups of water.

I haven't used the rice setting on my instant pot - actually, I haven't used any of the preset functions because I don't understand/trust them. Manual and setting a time and I'm better able to translate regular pressure cooker recipes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23358 posts
8985 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote:
Jul 29th, 2019 11:25 pm
okay, of the 5 different suggestions which one should I try?
I'm kind of biased since I'm one of the suggestions but I like mine.
But I also don't have an instant pot so YMMV if it's at all different than a regular pressure cooker.

@gr8dlr's video looks a bit wet to me.

3:2 is the "general" ratio for Jasmine but I find it produces rice that's too wet and too sticky.
I prefer a more 1:1.
Feb 11, 2009
202 posts
45 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I usually do either 1:1 rice vs water or use the rice cup and fill to the marking on the side of the inner pot.

For white jasmine rice, I either do 4 Min high pressure and NPR or use the rice button (which usually is 21 min low pressure).

Rinse the rice before cooking.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1981 posts
717 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just made basmati rice in an IP a couple of days ago. Water:rice ratio is 1:1 (in the IP recipe book) vs 2:1 with non-pressurized cooking Same ratio (and cooking time 6 mins) for jasmine rice (thought it'd be less).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23358 posts
8985 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 8:01 pm
2:1 with non-pressurized cooking Same ratio (and cooking time 6 mins) for jasmine rice (thought it'd be less).
In what universe is Jasmine 2:1?
Another unit or two and you're making congee....