Automotive

Help understanding service record (used car)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 4:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 15, 2001
3341 posts
1129 upvotes
Toronto

Help understanding service record (used car)

I'm interested in a car and the dealer provided the following service record:

service_record.JPG

If I'm reading this literally (not considering if and buts... that the customer serviced it privately).

Did the customer skip services between 9k to 48k and the dealer performed a lot of catch-up services in the end?
10 replies
Member
Dec 1, 2014
264 posts
279 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Likely serviced elsewhere but you never know, some people don't change oil for a very long time. If buying used (and not CPO), I'd do a complete change of all fluids either way.
Sr. Member
Dec 3, 2019
510 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
most likely went back to the dealer when the brakes started squeaking to get it fixed and the dealers up-sold additional services.

Probably went to an oil change place separately.

It's common to see gaps when looking at Carfax reports as well so I wouldn't read too much into this.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Exactly, many people don't service their cars at dealership, sometimes they only go for the major service like that Lexus IS there went for the 48k service.
There are no points to go to dealership to change oil and filer and pay $200 + tax while other places can do it for under $100.

The record there is completely fine with me.
My car will be very similar, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
GSXXRR wrote: I'm interested in a car and the dealer provided the following service record:


service_record.JPG


If I'm reading this literally (not considering if and buts... that the customer serviced it privately).

Did the customer skip services between 9k to 48k and the dealer performed a lot of catch-up services in the end?

My guess is, this was a lease vehicle. When the owner realize how much service at the dealership is, he either ignored the service or found an independent shop (or DIY) to do it for cheaper.
When he had to return the vehicle at the end of lease, the dealership "found" things that are below their standard and the owner had no choice but to let the dealership do the service.
Member
Jun 12, 2020
359 posts
207 upvotes
noob question: How can you tell whether a car has been in accidents? check insurance claim history?
Member
Aug 5, 2007
394 posts
345 upvotes
pewlykertor wrote: noob question: How can you tell whether a car has been in accidents? check insurance claim history?
see if the panels all line up.

i was test driving a car, and it drove well. then i exited the car and noticed that the driver door kept rubbing against the b pillar and wasn't aligned properly. the sales person had no idea and couldn't talk me into buying the car at all.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9268 posts
8553 upvotes
pewlykertor wrote: noob question: How can you tell whether a car has been in accidents? check insurance claim history?
Carfax should have a record.

If you are good at it, look at paint abnormality and alignment issues with doors and panels. Look for rust spots.
Member
Jun 12, 2020
359 posts
207 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Carfax should have a record.

If you are good at it, look at paint abnormality and alignment issues with doors and panels. Look for rust spots.
If the accidents are the minor ones that a private garage could fix (eg reverse into a wall), would carfax has record about it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9268 posts
8553 upvotes
pewlykertor wrote: If the accidents are the minor ones that a private garage could fix (eg reverse into a wall), would carfax has record about it?
There will always be potential gaps. Nobody is pointing a gun to the garage they must update Carfax for vehicles they worked on. You and your mechanic are the ultimate inspector.
Member
Dec 1, 2014
264 posts
279 upvotes
Burlington, ON
pewlykertor wrote: If the accidents are the minor ones that a private garage could fix (eg reverse into a wall), would carfax has record about it?
hell it could be a big accident and still not show-up on carfax if the owner didn't inform insurance, police were not involved, etc.. The owner could just bring the car to a bodyshop to get fixed.

Plenty of cars out there with "clean carfax" with mismatched door panel paint :)

Top