Computers & Electronics

Help with UPS battery connector cable

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2021 8:15 am
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2012
26 posts
27 upvotes
toronto

Help with UPS battery connector cable

I had this old APC BX1300-LCD UPS unit of which the battery pack has gone bad several years back, and I've thrown the old battery away. Over the weekend I ordered a replacement unit, and lo and behold the battery (or rather batteries) came as separate pieces and its missing the connector cable for connecting the batteries together.

I found an image from google what the cable looks like:
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 4.20.44 PM.png
.

Any idea where I can get this kind of cable?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
5241 posts
3933 upvotes
what do you mean? The cable coming out of the UPS should connect to the connector of the battery. What does the cable coming out of the UPS look like
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2012
26 posts
27 upvotes
toronto
evilYoda wrote: what do you mean? The cable coming out of the UPS should connect to the connector of the battery. What does the cable coming out of the UPS look like
There are two cables on the UPS unit itself, and I sort of figured out how they connect to the battery (red to red, black to black), but given that there are two batteries, they need to be connected just like the picture I attached. It's that cable that connects the two batteries that I'm missing.

I've tried to contact the store that sells the batteries to see if they can send me one but so far no response from them, so I'm trying to figure out if I can just grab it in a hardware store and just make the connector cable myself.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
13084 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
You may need to make the cable yourself as I am having a hard time fidning them BUT I did find out what they are called, "F2 Connector"

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=F2+connector& ... nb_sb_noss

There are some kits at the above link
yu202802 wrote: I had this old APC BX1300-LCD UPS unit of which the battery pack has gone bad several years back, and I've thrown the old battery away. Over the weekend I ordered a replacement unit, and lo and behold the battery (or rather batteries) came as separate pieces and its missing the connector cable for connecting the batteries together.

I found an image from google what the cable looks like:
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 4.20.44 PM.png.

Any idea where I can get this kind of cable?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6920 posts
4654 upvotes
SW ON
OP, make sure that don't need longer cables and more connectors because on the APC website the battery looks like this:
Image
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2012
26 posts
27 upvotes
toronto
sickcars wrote: You may need to make the cable yourself as I am having a hard time fidning them BUT I did find out what they are called, "F2 Connector"

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=F2+connector& ... nb_sb_noss

There are some kits at the above link
Thanks for the hint there, it looks like I might be able to get the connector at canadian tire, the other part I'm a bit unsure is what wire gauge I should use, any suggestion?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2014 posts
1084 upvotes
Oakville
yu202802 wrote: Thanks for the hint there, it looks like I might be able to get the connector at canadian tire, the other part I'm a bit unsure is what wire gauge I should use, any suggestion?
Stick with 14 gauge wire as that is what is used for 15amp circuits.

You could probably get away with smaller gauge as you probably won't draw a full 15amps while on battery, but why go smaller gauge for a few inches of wire.

If you can tell the actual gauge of the wiring for the UPS battery connectors, use that same gauge for your jumper cable.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2012
26 posts
27 upvotes
toronto
cba123 wrote: Stick with 14 gauge wire as that is what is used for 15amp circuits.

You could probably get away with smaller gauge as you probably won't draw a full 15amps while on battery, but why go smaller gauge for a few inches of wire.
Ah I see thank you for the information Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1492 upvotes
Ontario
That's much thicker then 14ga wire (10?) I'm pretty sure. Do you have the main harness still? Whats the wire gauge on it say?
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 23, 2012
26 posts
27 upvotes
toronto
IcarusLSC wrote: That's much thicker then 14ga wire (10?) I'm pretty sure. Do you have the main harness still? Whats the wire gauge on it say?
Thanks for the idea of checking the wire that is used on the UPS itself, and you're spot on it's actually a 10 gauge wire.
Jr. Member
Sep 12, 2008
188 posts
80 upvotes
Canada
Meh, I'd call Excess UPS in Toronto and see if they might sell you one.

https://excessups.ca/

Making one yourself is a bit of pain for something this simple.

If you do want to make one, I'd call one of the electronics supply places and send them a link.
They could almost certainly tell you the correct connector type.

www.Digi-key.ca

or

www.Mouser.ca

They generally both do next-day delivery. Cheap.

Best wishes either, of course.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2655 posts
1784 upvotes
London
shplad wrote: Meh, I'd call Excess UPS in Toronto and see if they might sell you one.

https://excessups.ca/

Making one yourself is a bit of pain for something this simple.

If you do want to make one, I'd call one of the electronics supply places and send them a link.
They could almost certainly tell you the correct connector type.

www.Digi-key.ca

or

www.Mouser.ca

They generally both do next-day delivery. Cheap.

Best wishes either, of course.
I disagree.
Rather than "Making one yourself is a bit of pain for something this simple.", I'd reverse it and say making one is easy and cheap for something this simple.
Everything you need is at your nearest Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc., probably for less than just the cheap shipping of Digikey.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20508 posts
13892 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
arisk wrote: I disagree.
Rather than "Making one yourself is a bit of pain for something this simple.", I'd reverse it and say making one is easy and cheap for something this simple.
Everything you need is at your nearest Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc., probably for less than just the cheap shipping of Digikey.
Absolutely. These are extremely common parts and will basically cost pennies to make if you can just buy the two connectors and a short piece of wire.

If you don't want to 'risk it', someone may be able to drop by an appliance repair shop and ask them how much would it be to crimp to connectors on a 6-inch piece of 10 gauge wire. The benefit of having them crimp it is that they probably have a better quality crimp which will make much better crimps than the standard pilers/wire cutter type crimper.
Jr. Member
Sep 12, 2008
188 posts
80 upvotes
Canada
arisk wrote: I disagree.
Rather than "Making one yourself is a bit of pain for something this simple.", I'd reverse it and say making one is easy and cheap for something this simple.
Everything you need is at your nearest Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc., probably for less than just the cheap shipping of Digikey.

Sure, right.

If you don't count the cost of

- soldering iron
- solder
- sponge/cleaning materials
- connector
- wire

And assuming the OP has some skills/knowledge of soldering
principles/techniques.

Then, in that case, you'd be absolutely correct.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2655 posts
1784 upvotes
London
shplad wrote: Sure, right.

If you don't count the cost of

- soldering iron
- solder
- sponge/cleaning materials
- connector
- wire

And assuming the OP has some skills/knowledge of soldering
principles/techniques.

Then, in that case, you'd be absolutely correct.
Considering these are crimp connectors, any reference to soldering is irrelevant.

A quick Home Depot search shows these:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/southw ... 1000157440

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/gardne ... 1000842890

Less than $5, for 1m of wire and 15 connectors.
That's enough wire to make 6.

You can crimp with pliers, although not as nice.
I did so in my younger days.
You have enough materials to make a mistake.
A crimper can be $20 or less, and a tool investment.
Princess Auto had a quite nice forged one for <$25, at the original time of this post, but I don't know if it is still on sale.

Top