Students

Help!! Utsc management pre program

Jul 9, 2013
8 posts
Toronto

Help!! Utsc management pre program

So I got accepted to UTSC as Humanity student and i have decided to apply for the Management Program at the end of my frist year. Im aware that i need to take MGTA01H3/(MGTA03H3), MGTA02H3/(MGTA04H3) MGEA02H3/(ECMA04H3), MGEA06H3/(ECMA06H3), MATA32H3, MATA33H3. How many elective do i need to take? Can i just do 2 electives and finish my first year with 4 Credits? or do i have to take 5 credits? because if i can take just 8 classes and still be able to apply the management program, it would be easier to get a higher GPA. i dont mind taking summer courses in my upper years to finish my degree.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
Its tough to transfer over to the real management program. You better think of an alternative plan..... some first year mgmt courses arent easy.
Nov 14, 2012
57 posts
6 upvotes
MARKHAM
imflying12 wrote: Its tough to transfer over to the real management program. You better think of an alternative plan..... some first year mgmt courses arent easy.
+1 unless you can pull stellar grades.... I havent taken the program at UTSC but from what I hear its tough to transfer. Seems like ^ knows the program.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
You can take as many electives as you want. As long as you have under 10 credits (20 courses) when you apply. Make sure you get good grades, and have related work/volunteer experience. Try to join some business clubs on campus from the get-go. They interview you, but it's quite easy unless you're socially awkward. It's not all that hard to transfer if you know what you're doing.
Jul 9, 2013
8 posts
Toronto
Thanks a lot guys. I have heard u need a high gpa to get in also it super competitive. I have pretty good job experiences and I'm looking forward to joining club so if im allow to take 4credits It should be fine.

Also any advise for some bird courses to take in the first year? :)
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2793 posts
933 upvotes
genyu1 wrote: Thanks a lot guys. I have heard u need a high gpa to get in also it super competitive. I have pretty good job experiences and I'm looking forward to joining club so if im allow to take 4credits It should be fine.

Also any advise for some bird courses to take in the first year? :)
I was in pre-management and had a 3.0 after first year. I got accepted into the program. A friend of mine got accepted with about a 2.8 or something so I don't think you need to have crazy grades. I was in the year of the double cohort too so it was arguably more competitive.
Jan 27, 2008
645 posts
24 upvotes
wszeto28 wrote: I was in pre-management and had a 3.0 after first year. I got accepted into the program. A friend of mine got accepted with about a 2.8 or something so I don't think you need to have crazy grades. I was in the year of the double cohort too so it was arguably more competitive.
Things have changed quite a bit since the early 2000s. I graduated a couple of years back and the cut off at that time for regular management was in the low 3s. coop was in the mid 3s
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2793 posts
933 upvotes
206bw wrote: Things have changed quite a bit since the early 2000s. I graduated a couple of years back and the cut off at that time for regular management was in the low 3s. coop was in the mid 3s
I was about to say "That's impossible for it to have changed that much in such a short period" and then I started doing the math. Realized that it was about 10 years ago since I applied for management lol. Wow I feel old :-0
Jul 9, 2013
8 posts
Toronto
wszeto28 wrote: I was in pre-management and had a 3.0 after first year. I got accepted into the program. A friend of mine got accepted with about a 2.8 or something so I don't think you need to have crazy grades. I was in the year of the double cohort too so it was arguably more competitive.
are u sure? the staff told me i needa gpa higher than 2.5 but the utsc site said 3.3 and higher. My friend got in to the program(non Coop) with 3.0 in the 2nd semester and a 2.7 in the 1st semester.
Jan 27, 2008
645 posts
24 upvotes
genyu1 wrote: are u sure? the staff told me i needa gpa higher than 2.5 but the utsc site said 3.3 and higher. My friend got in to the program(non Coop) with 3.0 in the 2nd semester and a 2.7 in the 1st semester.
The numbers change every year depending on the competition of your peers. 2.5 is the absolute minimum to compete for a spot.

But the actual cut off is often higher than that.

3.3 was probably the actual cut off for the previous year, or that number was for coop.
Jul 9, 2013
8 posts
Toronto
are u sure? the staff told me i needa gpa higher than 2.5 but the utsc site said 3.3 and higher. My friend got in to the program(non Coop) with 3.0 in the 2nd semester and a 2.7 in the 1st semester.
Jul 9, 2013
8 posts
Toronto
Thank you so much guys, this has been super helpful. Going to uni is sure a hard thing and a big step for me.

Since im able to take only 4 credits the first year, i have decided to take:

first semester
MGTA01H3F: Introduction to Management I
MGEA02H3F: Introduction to Microeconomics: A Mathematical Approach
MATA32H3F: Calculus for Management I
VPMA93H3F: Listening to Music
EESA09H3F: Wind

second semester
MGEA06H3S: Introduction to Macroeconomics: A Mathematical Approach
MGTA02H3S: Introduction to Management II
MATA33H3S: Calculus for Management II

what u guys think?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)