• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2021 4:06 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
171 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga - ON

help with water heater rental contract

I am looking to get some advice on how I can sort out my contract with reliance for my water heater rental

The contract has been running for 4 years BUT the tank was replaced for a new model 1 month ago at no charge.

the contract is in my ex's name and she has moved out and now I want the contract out of her name, but I also dont want to be paying the extortionate rental fees (They increased to $85 a month in feb!)

I would much rather either buy them out (but I assume I am on the hook as the new account holder for the full replacement cost of the heater probably something like $3500?)

Can I cancel the whole contract without fees/buy out and they just turn up and take the unit away? I can then buy my own cheaper unit and fit myself (I'm pretty handy and happy to install myself)

to be honest I am annoyed that they replaced the faulty heater, rather than repair like their marketing guff says they do "Truck stocked with the parts needed to complete repairs on the first call", but they caught us off guard during covid and I had a house full of kids who needed baths etc.

I'm pretty upset at having to pay $85 a month and want out - can anyone offer any advice please?

thanks
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2890 posts
1259 upvotes
Woodbridge
Sorry to break the bad news to you but most probably you are SOL. There are many dedicated threads about this issue on RFD.
If rental is 85 $ and buy out is 3500, then you are better off to pay it off now. I am assuming you either have a tankless or high input tank ( hybrid). In any case, 85 $ rental is a highway robbery.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
171 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
yup tankless - RINNAI RUR199iN
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
171 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
Are you saying there isnt the possibility of breaking the contract which the GF had without paying them out for the unit? (I own the house but the girlfriend took over the rental from the previous owners - but we've now separated so I need to close her account)

I thought if you broke the contract and didnt want to pay them out, they would come and take the unit away - HomeDepot has that model available for $3,597. But I dont need to replace it with that exact model
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5845 posts
905 upvotes
EndeavourX wrote: I thought if you broke the contract and didnt want to pay them out, they would come and take the unit away - HomeDepot has that model available for $3,597. But I dont need to replace it with that exact model
If only it is that easy. Doesn't reliance do direct bill through Enbridge?

Don't think you have much choice. Your only choice is to pay the cancellation.
Mar 1, 2020
804 posts
210 upvotes
GTA West
Three issues here it seems but i think can all be solved easily in one expensive way --

a) need to remove GF name
b) exorbitant $85/month fee
c) they replaced your water heater with a more expensive one and you agreed to it (shouldve complained right then and there but i understand your predicament - they took advantage of your situation, it seems) - not sure about point C

at this point, to solve all three, need to buy out contract -- now as to how much? some have said $3500 is not enough -- so call and make sure you're firm and decided to do so (eg buy it out)... otherwise, you're just wasting your time... it's either or at this point, doubtful you can do anything else ...
Mar 1, 2020
804 posts
210 upvotes
GTA West
newlyborn wrote: Sorry to break the bad news to you but most probably you are SOL. There are many dedicated threads about this issue on RFD.
If rental is 85 $ and buy out is 3500, then you are better off to pay it off now. I am assuming you either have a tankless or high input tank ( hybrid). In any case, 85 $ rental is a highway robbery.
I am wondering, can they just do that? eg increase his rental to $85/month and change his rental cost? Can't you back out right then and there and not agree to it being replaced and just buy out the "old contract?" (OP didn't state what he was paying prior to this replacement though so I dunno how these things work)
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11665 posts
3351 upvotes
Ontario
Call and confirm as others have said. But I think you either buy it out or you pay monthly. I think it will be hard to get out of the contract for free or very cheap.
Apr 14, 2009
266 posts
154 upvotes
Vaughan
That unit is $3500 - $4000 retail installed.
You better check your buyout on your contract, I would bet you the $3500 that your buyout is north of $10,000.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
171 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
this makes me sad

I take over the house and it has an existing contract with someone else which I cannot break without paying $10,000 ?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4256 posts
2159 upvotes
EndeavourX wrote: this makes me sad

I take over the house and it has an existing contract with someone else which I cannot break without paying $10,000 ?
Should have done your homework before you bought the house. Nobody to blame but yourself.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12443 posts
8957 upvotes
Edmonton
EndeavourX wrote: wow, thanks
Well, it's basically true. You should have told the ex to take her damn hot water heater with her. At this point, if you stop paying, it will be her credit that gets slammed, but they likely have (or can put) a lien on the property, since that's where the equipment was installed.

At this point, your options are to pay, or buy it out. You can try to negotiate a buyout, but don't be surprised if they're not really interested. A contract was signed, even if it wasn't with you. You could try to talk to a lawyer to see if there's an out based on the contract being in you ex's name, but it will likely be a case of good money after bad.

Assuming you own the house you're in, the house is entirely in your name (in terms of title/mortgage)?

C
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8158 posts
1810 upvotes
I'm surprised the rental is on a separate bill?. Isnt it usually part of the gas bill?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3926 posts
946 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
tomtomtom wrote:
If only it is that easy. Doesn't reliance do direct bill through Enbridge?

Don't think you have much choice. Your only choice is to pay the cancellation.
EPcjay wrote: I'm surprised the rental is on a separate bill?. Isnt it usually part of the gas bill?
Reliance isn't on Enbridge bills, they bill separately.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3926 posts
946 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
EndeavourX wrote: yup tankless - RINNAI RUR199iN
If this is the same model you can get an idea what the buyout cost is on the Reliant buyout table. Reliance doesn't publish one. A fair bit less than some are surmising. I presume there's HST tax on top...

Condensing Tankless
RUC98 / RU199
DCRTGH95DVLN
https://www.enercare.ca/sites/default/f ... _Table.pdf
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1077 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
newlyborn wrote: Currently, this is one of the top models with all the possible bells and whistles. You will be lucky if you can buy this tank for 3500 ( I highly doubt)
I think this sums up the problem:
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2890 posts
1259 upvotes
Woodbridge
Great find. However model RU199 and RUR199 are different models with substantial difference in price.
fergy wrote: If this is the same model you can get an idea what the buyout cost is on the Reliant buyout table. Reliance doesn't publish one. A fair bit less than some are surmising. I presume there's HST tax on top...

Condensing Tankless
RUC98 / RU199
DCRTGH95DVLN
https://www.enercare.ca/sites/default/f ... _Table.pdf
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021