[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
1790 posts
1800 upvotes
Canada

Help with where to drain Swimming Pool Water

HI everyone.
I'm in Toronto and I am a bit confused about where am I supposed to drain pool water. I found conflicting information on the City of Toronto website:

From this link:
https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... t-tub-spa/
Proper discharging of pool, hot tub or spa water
Chlorine pools
Water from chlorine pools can be:

Discharged to the storm sewer system.
Water must be dechlorinated first.
Discharge should not be done on a rainy day as it will overwhelm the storm sewer system.
Discharged onto a permeable surface on your property.
Water must be fully absorbed into the ground on your property without flowing onto any neighbouring properties.
From this link:
https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebas ... harge.html
Pool water can be discharged to your own property ONLY and or to the sanitary sewer.
The property isn't huge so if I drain all this water on the ground, I will flood the neighbour's yard which I don't want to do.

So where are you supposed to drain above ground pool water? In the kitchen drain in your sink? Or in the storm drain that rain water off your roof goes?

Thanks for the help.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19455 posts
22573 upvotes
GTA
Ideal would be to slowly drain onto your grass, so as not to flood it.
Otherwise everyone just drains onto the road. That 2nd statement is confusing though.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2026 posts
1089 upvotes
Oakville
I think that second bullet reference was referring to the salt water pool water, as that exact same phrase was used in the bullet before it.

In the next bullet, it says chlorine and bromine pool water can be discharged to the storm sewer after de-chlorinating, which is consistent with the first link.
  • Never discharge any water from salt water pools to the road or storm sewer from salt water pools. This can be discharged to your own property ONLY and or to the sanitary sewer.
  • Pool water can be discharged to your own property ONLY and or to the sanitary sewer.
  • Chlorine/bromine based pool water can be discharged to the storm sewer such as the catch basin (square grates) on the side of roads provided that it has been de-chlorinated either by neutralization or by letting the pool water sit for a week or two, but this should not be done during a rainy day as it will overwhelm the storm sewer system.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19455 posts
22573 upvotes
GTA
cba123 wrote: I think that second bullet reference was referring to the salt water pool water, as that exact same phrase was used in the bullet before it.

In the next bullet, it says chlorine and bromine pool water can be discharged to the storm sewer after de-chlorinating, which is consistent with the first link.
I think you've got it.

That said, the low salt level from a salt water pool is nothing compared the copious amounts of salt they dump onto the roads in the winter. But any reduction is good I guess.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
1790 posts
1800 upvotes
Canada
cba123 wrote: I think that second bullet reference was referring to the salt water pool water, as that exact same phrase was used in the bullet before it.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1337 posts
907 upvotes
London, On
Here in London, they even say the water from the winter cover isn't supposed to go out to the storm sewer. Which is funny because it's the same as the melting crap from beside my driveway that goes into the drain. I drain my water onto my front lawn and most of it eventually makes it down to the sewer. My salt chlorinator is a low salt unit so I only put 2 bags of salt in at the start of the season so there isn't a lot left by fall. And I usually turn the chlorinator off several days before I'm draining, so I'm not too concerned about what is going out there. As said above, with everything else going to the sewer, my pool water probably helps it, not hurts it lol
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1043 upvotes
Your neighbor may appreciate the free water / lawn watering. Although chlorine can stunt growth of plants, it shouldn't cause problems with grass.

I discharge my backwash on the lawn around the pool.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21646 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We’ve drained various ways over the years …

If it’s a hot tub, it’s not as much water as a pool. So with that you can turn it off, let the water cool down, and then easily drain out / pump out onto your property / lawn

If it’s a pool … the best bet is to direct the hose to the storm sewer … if you are lucky to have one on your property (usually in your backyard)
If not then direct the hose to your front yard, and have the water drain down your driveway towards the street, where it will make its way to the nearest catch basin … and also end up in the city’s storm sewers

The issue with draining directly onto your back lawn besides flooding out your neighbour … tends to be that chlorine or bromine can both burn grass sometimes, or wreck havoc with other plantings
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2100 posts
2292 upvotes
Toronto
My previous hot tub I would drain into my large grassed yard which could very easily accommodate, a pool is much too much volume unless you have a farm sized lot. Best to drain into the storm sewer catch basin.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)