Help! Where to fix espresso machine?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2021 4:03 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2020
3 posts

Help! Where to fix espresso machine?

Hello RFD,

My espresso machine recently stopped working.....kind of. It is an Expobar Leva 1 Gr Office semi-auto espresso machine. Similar machine to shown below:

The problem:
The pressure when the machine is operating is very weak and would barely squeeze coffee out. The pump would also get very loud at first, but then the machine would lose pressure, then when the pressure is completely lost the pump becomes quiet (but still humming/buzzing). Verified full tank of water when this happens.

I don't think it is a problem of clogged tanks or tubes since I use distilled water exclusively and regularly clean the inside of the machine with the cleaning powder. I also replaced a tube with a pinhole leak, which didn't solve the problem.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with my machine, where I can get my machine fixed or at least bring it to a shop that knows what to do? I can also DIY to a certain point.

Your help is much appreciated!

Brian
Last edited by Brianbakers on Feb 17th, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3411 posts
999 upvotes
Edmonton
If you can diy, why don't you take it apart and see?

It's a basic concept.
You think the pump might be a problem? Take out and test the pump. See what the output pressure is supposed to be versus what it is, etc etc .

By the time you wrote the post you would have all the covers off atleast
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1598 posts
666 upvotes
London
Real nice first post. Just call the manufacturer and ask for a authorized service dealer.

How much is this machine worth?
[OP]
Sep 15, 2020
3 posts
tmkf_patryk wrote: If you can diy, why don't you take it apart and see?

It's a basic concept.
You think the pump might be a problem? Take out and test the pump. See what the output pressure is supposed to be versus what it is, etc etc .

By the time you wrote the post you would have all the covers off atleast
I did, hence the part about me replacing the plastic tubing right after the pump into the boilers. I did not disassemble the pump since I initially thought the hole was the sole culprit for the low pressure. I googled the pump and it can be bought on Amazon, but I want to see if I can get second/third opinions before going the throw-parts-at-it path.
zeroburn wrote: location?
Richmond Hill, ON. Willing to travel to get parts or bring to a shop, within reason of course.
Drakestar wrote: Real nice first post. Just call the manufacturer and ask for a authorized service dealer.

How much is this machine worth?
Not a mass market brand so no service dealer here. Right now it's worth $0 since it's not making any espresso for me Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy, but when I bought it way back, it was close to $2k I think.
Dec 7, 2009
389 posts
190 upvotes
B-Town
Have you tried:
Anthony's Espresso Equipment
80 Carlauren Road, Woodbridge, ON L4L7Z5
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3411 posts
999 upvotes
Edmonton
Brianbakers wrote: I did, hence the part about me replacing the plastic tubing right after the pump into the boilers. I did not disassemble the pump since I initially thought the hole was the sole culprit for the low pressure. I googled the pump and it can be bought on Amazon, but I want to see if I can get second/third opinions before going the throw-parts-at-it path.
I never suggested to throw parts at it. Why don't you do the logical thing and test the pump?

That's how we work, we test, if it fails then replace. If it doesn't fail, then there's other issues. Can only be a few possibilities.

Is it a positive displacement pump or not? Or axial flow, or .....
Jun 10, 2008
460 posts
331 upvotes
Halton Hills
My wife had a similar problem with a cheapo coffee maker. I found a tube had melted and it was leaking back into itself.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3898 posts
3057 upvotes
Ottawa
I just tried a Google search for Expobar with various terms and a lot of info came back. Try that and if there are some YT videos look at them.

It could be the pump (and/or solenoid like the Breville) or something else. The Ulka pump can be easily repaired if the spring/ball are stuck so you don't need a replacement. If you are handy you can troubleshoot and repair the machine, if not take it to a repair shop as others have suggested. Most of the problems are not hard to fix, good luck.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6560 posts
2429 upvotes
GTA
Brianbakers wrote: Hello RFD,

My espresso machine recently stopped working.....kind of. I know it is a double boiler Expobar machine but I don't remember the exact model since I bought it quite a while ago.

The problem:
The pressure when the machine is operating is very weak and would barely squeeze coffee out. The pump would also get very loud at first, but then the machine would lose pressure, then when the pressure is completely lost the pump becomes quiet (but still humming/buzzing). Verified full tank of water when this happens.

I don't think it is a problem of clogged tanks or tubes since I use distilled water exclusively and regularly clean the inside of the machine with the cleaning powder. I also replaced a tube with a pinhole leak, which didn't solve the problem.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with my machine, where I can get my machine fixed or at least bring it to a shop that knows what to do? I can also DIY to a certain point.

Your help is much appreciated!

Brian
its a vib pump? Probably the pump you can probably repair it if its the internal diode is gone or just buy a new one... ulka pump i am assuming.

Expobar Brewtus i am thinking? Do you have a model?

What is your location? i can recommend couple of places for you to quickly go purchase the parts etc.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2020
3 posts
Dear all,

Thank you for the great suggestions! I found the model of the machine, it is the Expobar Leva 1 Gr Office OF-P-1GR Semi-Auto Expresso machine.

I will take apart the machine this weekend to check the pump's operation, it does sound and feel like it is running weak. Will take it apart to check the spring? ball?

I will also call/lookup the places suggested by everyone to see what they think/charge for an inspection and repair.

Thanks in advance!
Dec 24, 2002
356 posts
5 upvotes
try ECScoffee. they have a service and repair centre.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6952 upvotes
Markham
Were you using this machine regularly ie daily?
Does water come out from the Steam valve?
Without putting on the portafilter do you see water when you run it?
Perhaps the brewhead filter is gunked up?
When you say cleaning...do you mean descaling?

Suggest as you start taking things apart, make sure you record everything so you can put it back together.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6952 upvotes
Markham
Isn't this your machine? Nice looking machine BTW.

It was so easy it wasn't funny.

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3411 posts
999 upvotes
Edmonton
Brianbakers wrote: .

I will take apart the machine this weekend to check the pump's operation, it does sound and feel like it is running weak. Will take it apart to check the spring? ball?
Sounds and feels weak? How about testing it out to find out? Do you have the proper spec?

What kind of pump is It? Alot of them don't have a spring or ball......