• Feb 25th, 2019 1:53 pm
[OP]
Aug 1, 2014
53 posts
6 upvotes
Mars

Helping My Son - Looking for Employer needing a Plumber Apprentice

Hi All..

I am helping out my son... He is 19 and he is wanting to become a 306A Plumber.. He went through the OYAP (Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program) and he completed the Level 1 of the Ministry Training for 306A, and he is registered with the Ministry as an 306A Apprentice.

He has both Co-Op experience , and he was working with a owner/operator company who said he was going to take him on as an Apprentice, He had the apprentice contract form from the Ministry ready for him to sign, all he would say is.. Ya ya ya.. I am busy now, lets look at it later.. And when he pressured him, he finally told the truth that he is not needing to take on an apprentice, just a laborer. Yet my son was performing plumbing related duties.

So... If anyone knows of a firm in Vaughan , Toronto, Markham, Mississauga needing an apprentice, can you please let me know

Its really appreciated!

Thank you
30 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1119 upvotes
This is par for the course when it comes to apprenticeships. It's very common to promise signing him up, and once the owner realized the ratios and red tape involved, they will back off. The government is in the process of changing things such as ratios, and improve the ability to open up spots for new apprentices.

Is your son still working for this company? Or has he quit due to the company not following through? If I were him I would stay working as a labourer even if the hours don't count. Just because if he can find a company to sign him on, it'll be easier to be hired if he has say 2 years experience as a labourer vs 6 months. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone looking for plumbers, but it's like applying for any other job. Go knock on doors, make phone calls, ask family and friends, network. Also if he knows anyone in another trade put the word out because we all work together.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2014
53 posts
6 upvotes
Mars
Thanks fusion for the feedback ..

He did quit .. And I didn't know until he came home and informed me .. And yes .. I told him , next time , just keep on working and at the same time look for another opportunity.

He/we are doing as you suggested, but I have found is that plenty of posting for 3+. Years , but for startup apprentices seems to be the hardest to find ..

Thanks again for your feedback...
Jun 12, 2008
713 posts
153 upvotes
Ripley
My son is an auto mechanic apprentice. 20 yrs old. He has found his jobs by cold calling. Driving around applying to every car place he could find has worked 3 times for him in the last two years. He had no contacts or connections at these places. It is hard to understand but they really do end up doing the bottom jobs for a lot of years.

Spouse is a licensed plumber not working in the field. He did his schooling 20 yrs ago and it only happened when the owner needed another licensed person because someone left.

Make sure your son knows he has to stick with it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6816 posts
3976 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The fact that mommy or daddy is on here looking for a position for their son is a huge part of the problem these days. Let him find his own. We had someone actually come in to our office (architect firm) with their son for the interview. Ridiculous.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8298 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 12:41 pm
The fact that mommy or daddy is on here looking for a position for their son is a huge part of the problem these days. Let him find his own. We had someone actually come in to our office (architect firm) with their son for the interview. Ridiculous.
This is so true when the parents who know the value, are more willing than the kid in finding, sticking to jobs.
It's hard enough getting an apprenticeship position as it is.
That said, kids that are willing do need all the help they can get so good luck to OP.
Jun 12, 2008
713 posts
153 upvotes
Ripley
Has he contacted his local union? Our local has the layout of how to get an apprenticeship with them on their website. It's very different working for the union jobs vs. a small company but once he gets licensed he can work anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6816 posts
3976 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
zeddy wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 2:53 pm
Has he contacted his local union?
His daddy will do all that for him. He likely doesn't do anything for himself.
Jun 12, 2008
713 posts
153 upvotes
Ripley
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 4:57 pm
His daddy will do all that for him. He likely doesn't do anything for himself.
I have a 20yr old. They don't know it all - even if they think they do - there is nothing wrong with making suggestions or giving some guidance. As you can read above my 20 yr old has done all the work to find and keep his own jobs. He doesn't live at home and is 100% independent of us. No one would accuse me of being a helicopter parent in real life. But if my son needed a job and I knew there was a place hiring I would tell him about it. I would do the same for a friend/neighbour/spouse. Pretty sure that is all the OP asked for.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1119 upvotes
zeddy wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 5:23 pm
I have a 20yr old. They don't know it all - even if they think they do - there is nothing wrong with making suggestions or giving some guidance. As you can read above my 20 yr old has done all the work to find and keep his own jobs. He doesn't live at home and is 100% independent of us. No one would accuse me of being a helicopter parent in real life. But if my son needed a job and I knew there was a place hiring I would tell him about it. I would do the same for a friend/neighbour/spouse. Pretty sure that is all the OP asked for.
Possibly. Think back to when any of us were 20 years old. You are just discovering the world as an adult. You don't know what you want to do for the rest of your life. Plumbing is a physically hard, possibly demeaning (when a new apprentice), and difficult job for a young guy. They also don't understand that you have to put in several years as a grunt to get a good job at the end. So yes, many times it's the parent pushing the kid, but it's not always a matter of the kid being lazy or dependent. They just aren't sure and it's a bit of a culture shock in the real world.
Nov 23, 2011
381 posts
289 upvotes
West GTA
I don't know why everyone is bashing this Father. For all you know, maybe the Son is out there busting his ass trying to find a job and his Father is just trying to help him in any way he can on top of that.

The point of being a Father is to guide your kid in the right direction, and help them along the way, is it not?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1137 posts
632 upvotes
North York
zeddy wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 5:23 pm
People would take every opportunity to call millennials lazy and entitled
Nov 21, 2014
653 posts
682 upvotes
Atlantic
Yes because when you were 20 years old; you had all the contacts you needed and knew exactly what you wanted to do for a job and knew all the nuances of the trade/job.

How quickly people forget their own past and where they started out or much less realizing that someone else gave them a chance at their first job.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6816 posts
3976 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
EasyCompany251 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 1:57 pm
Yes because when you were 20 years old; you had all the contacts you needed and knew exactly what you wanted to do for a job and knew all the nuances of the trade/job.

How quickly people forget their own past and where they started out or much less realizing that someone else gave them a chance at their first job.
I know my parents never got them for me. I hustled.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2221 posts
588 upvotes
Toronto
If your son can't go onto the Canadian Job Bank, classifieds, shops or the Union to look for jobs then maybe he is in the wrong profession.

I can understand if your son has been looking but realize there are no jobs and at a lost. It sounds as if you son is looking for a job to fall in his lap.

BTW, no one handed me jobs, I had to look for my self. I wish they did.

Do realize that the city is saturated and he may have to leave town.