Helping My Son - Looking for Employer needing a Plumber Apprentice

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 1:53 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8496 posts
2440 upvotes
Mississauga
Chickinvic wrote: I know my parents never got them for me. I hustled.
Same. (Not like my parents could help me anyway since they can barely speak English).

My daughter hates it when I try and get involved with her job search! She just landed a promising job at a good company too.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27310 upvotes
I do not
see where it mentions that OP is the Dad or the Mom.

Nevertheless, I see no problem with you providing guidance or advice to your child.

However, why are you the OP of this thread and not your son?

He is the one who should be leading the charge to find work.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3100 posts
462 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Why are we assuming the son is not busting his chops looking for a job, maybe, just maybe the son does not have an account here so he can post. Sometimes when you see your kid struggling, as a parent your want them to get that break and I think that what the OP is looking out for, as a parent.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13825 posts
1337 upvotes
mickman wrote: I don't know why everyone is bashing this Father. For all you know, maybe the Son is out there busting his ass trying to find a job and his Father is just trying to help him in any way he can on top of that.

The point of being a Father is to guide your kid in the right direction, and help them along the way, is it not?
What kind of message does that send to kids without fathers? "Sorry, but you don't get any extra help?"
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1239 posts
772 upvotes
North York
Try getting into the elevator repair industry without any connections. That shit is very tight knit and only one or two big players which only hire family members. This is why you see only a certain group of people working there. Getting high marks at college or being charming might not even have these people consider hiring you.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2301 posts
660 upvotes
New Brunswick
BK2006 wrote: I do not
see where it mentions that OP is the Dad or the Mom.

Nevertheless, I see no problem with you providing guidance or advice to your child.

However, why are you the OP of this thread and not your son?

He is the one who should be leading the charge to find work.
From OP first post, second line : I am helping out my son...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34226 posts
3923 upvotes
Winnipeg
Chickinvic wrote: The fact that mommy or daddy is on here looking for a position for their son is a huge part of the problem these days. Let him find his own. We had someone actually come in to our office (architect firm) with their son for the interview. Ridiculous.
that is true, but i also want to point out that on the other hand, entry level positions have been more difficult to find compared to previous generations.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34226 posts
3923 upvotes
Winnipeg
Menthol wrote: Why are we assuming the son is not busting his chops looking for a job, maybe, just maybe the son does not have an account here so he can post. Sometimes when you see your kid struggling, as a parent your want them to get that break and I think that what the OP is looking out for, as a parent.
I hear there used to be a time when young people could just walk into a firm and get a job. Nowadays people just blame the young people for not able to find any work as entitlement.
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27310 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: From OP first post, second line : I am helping out my son...
Yes but everyone is saying Dad, could be the Mom.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
Is anyone a plumber here? How does plumber apprenticeship even work? Does the 19 years old have to be with you the entire time as you work?

I don't think my family ever had to call a plumber before. Do plumbers usually get call at the beginning of construction when they are making new homes? Or to like condo where too many people live in the same building or do they clear big pipes like city pipes?

For an outsider like myself, I wonder how big the field of plumbing really is. Your 19 years old quit. If the trade has a small group of people, and no one want to take on an apprentice who does not want to do any labour.. then.. it might be hard to get back in.

I think at the beginning, it might be a lot of babysitting for the person who is already working. The "apprentice" might ask a lot of questions and distracts the "expert".
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34226 posts
3923 upvotes
Winnipeg
Poppwl wrote: Is anyone a plumber here? How does plumber apprenticeship even work? Does the 19 years old have to be with you the entire time as you work?

I don't think my family ever had to call a plumber before. Do plumbers usually get call at the beginning of construction when they are making new homes? Or to like condo where too many people live in the same building or do they clear big pipes like city pipes?

For an outsider like myself, I wonder how big the field of plumbing really is. Your 19 years old quit. If the trade has a small group of people, and no one want to take on an apprentice who does not want to do any labour.. then.. it might be hard to get back in.

I think at the beginning, it might be a lot of babysitting for the person who is already working. The "apprentice" might ask a lot of questions and distracts the "expert".
As someone who is in the industry (not plumbing but construction in general), I can give you my 2 cents. You are thinking about handyman, most of the small residential maintenance work can be done by anyone who is "handy", as the problem will likely only affect a single household, so it is up to the household to determine the risk of doing the repair work themselves and the city allows that (except in Quebec for electrical). Therefore the demand for journeyman trades is minimal once the building is constructed, that same applies for professionals as well, such as architects and engineers. Once the design is complete, you can have builders to build these cookie cutter homes everywhere, often they use 4 sets of plans to develop an entire neighborhood. Things becomes different once we move away from small residential, and into commercial, industrial, large residential (condos, apartment, mid to high rise), any modifications to buildings and or maintenance work can be complicated and often requires professional involvement, as any problem can affect business and/or many residential dwellers, and this is where most trades and professional gets their work.
Nov 23, 2011
594 posts
581 upvotes
West GTA
Syne wrote: What kind of message does that send to kids without fathers? "Sorry, but you don't get any extra help?"
So what, you're saying that fathers out there should stop helping their kids in lieu of children who may not have a father?...

Damn boy, that is a stretch if I've ever heard one.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13825 posts
1337 upvotes
mickman wrote: So what, you're saying that fathers out there should stop helping their kids in lieu of children who may not have a father?...

Damn boy, that is a stretch if I've ever heard one.
I just find it strange that it's often seen as not only acceptable, but encouraged to be a parent that helps your kid 'get ahead'... but seldom are we asking, 'get ahead of what?' Kids without parents? Wow, good job. You're further rigging an unbalanced match.

.. and it wouldn't even be so bad if this was just a problem that was limited to the home, but it bleeds into everyday life. Kids without fathers are less likely to get involved in sports, less likely to get help with school work, less likely to get play dates with more popular kids, more likely to be picked on and ostracized. It's almost like your parents are a big part of placing you in your social hierarchy at an early age. It never ends.

Now you're in your 20s, living at home and dad is acting as your agent to get you an apprenticeship? What next, free tuition? A car? Help with the down payment on your first home?

Then they have the gall to grow up conservative, lobby for lower taxes, and look down on people less fortunate.. and you wonder why liberals exist.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Nov 23, 2011
594 posts
581 upvotes
West GTA
Syne wrote: I just find it strange that it's often seen as not only acceptable, but encouraged to be a parent that helps your kid 'get ahead'... but seldom are we asking, 'get ahead of what?' Kids without parents? Wow, good job. You're further rigging an unbalanced match.

.. and it wouldn't even be so bad if this was just a problem that was limited to the home, but it bleeds into everyday life. Kids without fathers are less likely to get involved in sports, less likely to get help with school work, less likely to get play dates with more popular kids, more likely to be picked on and ostracized. It's almost like your parents are a big part of placing you in your social hierarchy at an early age. It never ends.

Now you're in your 20s, living at home and dad is acting as your agent to get you an apprenticeship? What next, free tuition? A car? Help with the down payment on your first home?

Then they have the gall to grow up conservative, lobby for lower taxes, and look down on people less fortunate.. and you wonder why liberals exist.
You're right.

So with that logic, I'm going to stop drinking clean water in light of those without that luxury.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13825 posts
1337 upvotes
mickman wrote: You're right.

So with that logic, I'm going to stop drinking clean water in light of those without that luxury.
Didn't say that was the answer.. just commenting on the state of things. Doesn't hurt to be reminded of the stats on how deterministic outcomes are based on upbringing.