• May 16th, 2010 11:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21101 posts
4005 upvotes
YUL
This show was the world wide sales launch (meaning you can buy it there) of the Pentax K7, and Sony A330.

Gary Fong himself is presenting various seminars throughout the day. The Auctions have resulted in some absolute steals of deals, as well.

Sigma/Gentec have some nice sexy models at their booths for all you pervs to photograph. Olympus has a more conservatively dressed one at their booth, but still hot.

All in all, it was a great show. Sunday is the last day, so if you haven't gone...make sure you do....
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9799 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
I ended up going on Friday afternoon and checked out the live auctions while I was there. I was looking for a basic DSLR and since I missed out on the boxing day deals I have been waiting for a deal since.

I don't know how good a deal this was but it is cheaper than any sale I have seen so it is good enough for me for a starter DSLR.

Canon XS (silver)
18-55 IS lense
Carrying Bag
$25 Ebay gift card
Extended 3 year warranty

for $450 plus taxes

There were some other higher end cameras/lenses but I didn't know the true "value" of everything (vs. the value they showed for stuff... which was overinflated for many items). I think it was one of those things that if you knew the value (as many RFDers know) you could get some pretty sweet deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2899 posts
509 upvotes
^ & ^^ thanks.

I just snagged a Nikon D90 for $939 from Futureshop.ca (1099.99- 10% from today's AfterHours sale + $50 off from refer 3 friends email promo). I'll get my Tamron 18-270 lens (edit: which I've now ordered) in the States in a couple of weeks for $549. And I'll probably make it to the camera show for the first time next year. :cheesygri

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=741533
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=738740
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=741744
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
najibs wrote: This show was the world wide sales launch (meaning you can buy it there) of the Pentax K7, and Sony A330.

Gary Fong himself is presenting various seminars throughout the day. The Auctions have resulted in some absolute steals of deals, as well.

Sigma/Gentec have some nice sexy models at their booths for all you pervs to photograph. Olympus has a more conservatively dressed one at their booth, but still hot.

All in all, it was a great show. Sunday is the last day, so if you haven't gone...make sure you do....
Gentec cheaped out this year and only hired one model for the entire weekend. ;) They usually have two or three. My friend and I befriended her, well, more so him. LoL!! He took her out to dinner after stopping at Anime North down the street since she was into anime.

Some images I took at the show + more. The first one is the model at Gentec booth. Sigma brought their $30,000 100-400mm F2.8 lens as well. It's not as big as I thought it was though, lol!

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... tcount=201

I really like the auction this year, I think Henrys is on track with adding something that will keep people coming back everyday aside from the workshops. I know I came back 3 days straight just for the auctions. ;)

Some of the stuff on auction went for almost retail price even . I ended up getting a Nikon S710 P&S at the auction on Sunday, having fun with it so far. I just love the portability of it and it fits into my pocket, unlike my DSLR set up. :|
Jun 15, 2009
1 posts
RenegadeX wrote: ^ & ^^ thanks.

I just snagged a Nikon D90 for $939 from Futureshop.ca (1099.99- 10% from today's AfterHours sale + $50 off from refer 3 friends email promo). I'll get my Tamron 18-270 lens (edit: which I've now ordered) in the States in a couple of weeks for $549. And I'll probably make it to the camera show for the first time next year. :cheesygri

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=741533
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=738740
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=741744

did you finally get the tamron, which store? what was the entire final cost?
I am looking at the exact same lens
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2899 posts
509 upvotes
RonC wrote: did you finally get the tamron, which store? what was the entire final cost?
I am looking at the exact same lens
Yeah, I got it. I ordered it from Beach Camera(.com) (in Edison, NJ) a few weeks ago when they had it on for $549US as not only did they have the best price at the time but they actually accepted a Canadian credit card without any issue (and additionally there was no hassle in having the lens shipped to a different address to my credit card billing address). As I was going on a trip to the Chicago area I had Beach Camera ship it to an acquaintance there and picked it up from their house. Was out of the country for 7 days so the cost of the lens ($549.00US, free shipping no state tax) and the Eye-Fi 4GB HDSC Wi-Fi card I also ordered for $79.00US fell within the 7-day $750CDN personal exemption [source]. I haven't checked my credit card statement yet but I believe the exchange rate when my order was processed was $1.1179, so my total (for the lens) should be $613.73CDN. Not bad at all.

Beach Camera is an authorized dealer of Tamron products so my lens has a 6-year USA warranty. I'm gambling that I won't have to send it back, but if I do, considering the fact that the best Cdn price is $998.99+taxes, I'll still come out miles ahead. Assuming there's no problem with the lens, I just saved $515CDN. :)

Haven't really had a chance to play with it yet though. :|

Btw, Beach's price has now gone up to $629US, but there is a $50 Tamron Authorized Dealer rebate on the lens running from June 12, 2009 to June 22, 2009. However you would need an 'Ameri-friend' to handle this for you as it is only valid on US purchases and the rebate will only be sent to a US address. I'm glad I didn't have to worry about that and got mine while the price was cheap!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8840 posts
2075 upvotes
Bumping this back up, just noticed that Henry's has updated their website for their Fall 2009 Photographic, Video and Digital Imaging Show.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... reId=10001

Same location as usual, weekend of Oct 16-18, 2009. I went to the Fall 08 show last year, was quite good for sure.

Couple of questions for people who have gone to these shows more... I didn't check out the Henry's shop area much at the show last year because it was so packed, but do they have any deals or is everything listed @ retail price?

Also, I can't remember if Tokina had a booth last year or not... I'm really interested in the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 but no one in Ontario seems to have them in stock (must be special orders). I know Sigma had a huge area and were selling their lenses last year, hoping Tokina does the same although I don't remember seeing Tokina or Tamron booths.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2165 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Who's going to the show this year?

Maybe we can do a mini meetup.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8840 posts
2075 upvotes
DBOi wrote: Free tickets this year?
Do they still do that? They were posting a free admissions coupon right on their website last year for their fall 08 show... but I did not see one for the Spring 09 show and don't see one now for the fall 09 show either.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3728 posts
231 upvotes
YUL
Winkle wrote: Also, I can't remember if Tokina had a booth last year or not... I'm really interested in the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 but no one in Ontario seems to have them in stock (must be special orders). I know Sigma had a huge area and were selling their lenses last year, hoping Tokina does the same although I don't remember seeing Tokina or Tamron booths.
Tokina was there, together with Lowepro and a few other brands under Daymen Photo Marketing. I actually tried out the 11-16 too. The prices weren't as good as I hope for, so I ended up getting the Canon 10-20 a few months later from Craigslist instead.

Tamron was there as well. If you remember seeing all those Manfrotto pods, then the Tamron display case is just behind it.

Edit: I signed up for Henry's Newsletters multiple times, but I never hear a peep from them. I'm hoping to get some free tickets too.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8840 posts
2075 upvotes
twotterdhc6 wrote: Tokina was there, together with Lowepro and a few other brands under Daymen Photo Marketing. I actually tried out the 11-16 too. The prices weren't as good as I hope for, so I ended up getting the Canon 10-20 a few months later from Craigslist instead.

Tamron was there as well. If you remember seeing all those Manfrotto pods, then the Tamron display case is just behind it.

Edit: I signed up for Henry's Newsletters multiple times, but I never hear a peep from them. I'm hoping to get some free tickets too.
Thanks!

I suppose the Tokina prices were comparable or @ the retail prices that Henry's has listed? Not a big deal, I'm going to forgo an ultra-wide till later next year but thanks. I will take the opportunity to try out their stuff though... don't want to order or buy anything until I've at least held it in my hands and got a feel for it.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3728 posts
231 upvotes
YUL
Winkle wrote: Thanks!

I suppose the Tokina prices were comparable or @ the retail prices that Henry's has listed? Not a big deal, I'm going to forgo an ultra-wide till later next year but thanks. I will take the opportunity to try out their stuff though... don't want to order or buy anything until I've at least held it in my hands and got a feel for it.
Well the prices are all discounted from Henry's regular retail, but that doesn't mean much, as may already know they are slightly overpriced along with Vistek.
IIRC, the Tokina 11-16 was $749 (but they did have stock!); Tamron 10-24 and Sigma 10-20 were both $699.

I totally agree with trying out stuff physically before buying, which is why I like this kind of show where you can take your time without a sales person standing next to you. Having said that, I did buy the Canon 24-70L from The Camera Store in Calgary sight unseen 1.5 years ago - no regrets!