• Mar 18th, 2019 10:51 am
May 13, 2014
506 posts
138 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
paul29m wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 2:29 am
any similar deals for Steelcase Leaps?
What makes the Steelcase Leap so popular? I'm currently assigned to a desk with a Steelcase Gesture at work, which is supposedly a very similar chair to the Leap, and it is hands down the worst office chair I have sat in so far. The thin padding, short seat depth, and almost 90 degree seating angle combined make it feel pretty much exactly like an airplane seat on a budget airline...

I'm glad there were spare Mirras lying around that I could swap for. Still a downgrade from the Aeron that was at my previous desk, but beggers can't be choosers.
Oct 15, 2013
721 posts
1229 upvotes
I can’t say what the Gesture is like but i switched to a Leap at work from an Aeron I had for years and it fixed a hip issue I started to have (super tight QL band). I think the issue for me is the Aeron has a hard plastic rim right under your legs and it puts constant pressure on your hamstring all day, and this only gets worse over time as the mesh loosens up.

The Leap goes a different direction than Aeron and the padding is fairly firm but the ergonomics and adjustability is mch better (imho). The best feature that fixed my issue i believe is the ability to slide the seat forwards and backwards and tilt it. Its recline i think is much nicer than an Aeron too from what I recall.
Iirc from my research Gesture tries to be more advanced but the Leap beats it in almost every way but the arms in real life long term user reports.

At home however, I bought a Mirra 2. It is similar to Aeron but you can roll the front of the seat down and also allow forward recline when you want to lean in, plus I personally prefer the hard plastic on the back of Mirra 2 + mesh vs all mesh in Aeron. They may have put the forward recline on latest Aerons now too, im not sure.

I didn’t get a Leap as it seems to be very hard to find stockists in Canada and I also stumbled on a super deal on amazon.ca and found the Mirra 2 fully loaded for $800 with free ship iirc. which was something like a $500 saving. Otherwise I would have bought a Leap, no question.
Great chair, and well worth the extra over an Ikea/Costco alternative which I had before at home. Imho if you are going to use something every day potentially for hours and especially something that can affect your health too, it’s worth the investment.
The Leap is an ugly no nonsense chair however so it won’t win any beauty contests when sat next to a Herman Miller. I really don’t care about that but I know others do.

I have tried an Embody too (but only briefly) and found that one a little too rigid and not very adjustable. Nice look though. I see HM has a new one “cosm”, that looks to be a mix of aeron and embody, would be interesting to try that but with all these chairs it’s after months you’ll know, not 10 minutes in the store.
Jun 25, 2011
52 posts
8 upvotes
NORTH YORK
bokchoy wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 2:25 am
No they do not, for BC you should contact Inform Interiors (located downtown) for a quote.
what about nova scotia?
May 12, 2018
2 posts
I got my Embody for $1185 from Contemporary Office Interiors (Vancouver, BC) in May 2018. Go in, try some chairs, and ask for the sales coordinator's business card so you can submit an order via email.
Jun 14, 2006
643 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
Steinbok wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 10:45 pm
I wonder if Business Interior would give a group buy discount?

If we can get one going I am definitely in for one. If anyone is interested, pm me and I will ask them based on the total number we can get together.

Quoting myself for updating the post:

Yes, they do give group buy discount but it has to be minimum 5 chairs and have to be the high end models (Embody/ Aeron). So far we have only two people, we need 3 more (I will wait until Monday before i place my order).
As others have mentioned, no 15% discount from HM website as that is on retail pricing only.
I tried every RFDer trick, but the price they gave me was the final price, no matter what i tried. :twisted:
Now having said that, their pricing was miles better then anywhere else, less then $1150 for Embody (sorry i forgot the exact price as it was verbal but it was definitely less). If they have it in stock, as in the base model, you can definitely pick it up for cheaper.
EQ has it the same cost as HM website and WorkPlace Resource didnt even provide a quote stating they dont deal for single chair orders.
The only negative so far, its final sale no matter what, once you leave with the chair, no refunds/ exchanges. Personally, i feel that is a big decision to make but i guess that is their policy.
Lastly visit their showroom, they are friendly and helpful. Test the chairs, they even said, you can work from their office for a day Smiling Face With Open Mouth

HTH others...good luck.
Jun 25, 2011
52 posts
8 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Steinbok wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 9:09 pm

Yes, they do give group buy discount but it has to be minimum 5 chairs and have to be the high end models (Embody/ Aeron). So far we have only two people, we need 3 more (I will wait until Monday before i place my order).
As others have mentioned, no 15% discount from HM website as that is on retail pricing only.
I tried every RFDer trick, but the price they gave me was the final price, no matter what i tried. :twisted:
Now having said that, their pricing was miles better then anywhere else, less then $1150 for Embody (sorry i forgot the exact price as it was verbal but it was definitely less). If they have it in stock, as in the base model, you can definitely pick it up for cheaper.
EQ has it the same cost as HM website and WorkPlace Resource didnt even provide a quote stating they dont deal for single chair orders.
The only negative so far, its final sale no matter what, once you leave with the chair, no refunds/ exchanges. Personally, i feel that is a big decision to make but i guess that is their policy.
Lastly visit their showroom, they are friendly and helpful. Test the chairs, they even said, you can work from their office for a day Smiling Face With Open Mouth

HTH others...good luck.
do they ship to nova scotia? Im interested in the group buy
Jun 14, 2006
643 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
chengda85 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 11:12 pm
do they ship to nova scotia? Im interested in the group buy
Pretty sure they don’t...but you can email them and confirm.
Nov 26, 2011
157 posts
43 upvotes
CALGARY
Is there any store in Calgary other than eq3 that might have > 15% pricing?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2510 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if there is any shop or contact for repairing Herman Millers out of warranty?
I have a chair with a broken lever, and don't have the parts to fix it.

Trying to avoid buying another, but if there's no repair shops in GTA I might pickup this deal.
Oct 26, 2016
506 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Steinbok wrote:

HTH others...good luck.
Im interested but too short of a time frame to make a decision and try out the chair.
Sep 30, 2009
744 posts
406 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Steinbok wrote:

HTH others...good luck.
Ah, if only you started this GB a month ago. I bought 2 embody from them last month!!
Jun 14, 2006
643 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
nestleman wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 1:11 pm
Im interested but too short of a time frame to make a decision and try out the chair.
I can wait, Monday was my deadline if no one else was interested. Please PM me and we can work out the details.
Jun 14, 2006
643 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
ashihtaka wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 11:54 am
Does anyone know if there is any shop or contact for repairing Herman Millers out of warranty?
I have a chair with a broken lever, and don't have the parts to fix it.

Trying to avoid buying another, but if there's no repair shops in GTA I might pickup this deal.
Maybe just pay for the repairs and parts? Might be cheaper then a new chair.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2510 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
Steinbok wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 3:42 pm
Maybe just pay for the repairs and parts? Might be cheaper then a new chair.
Pay who? is my question.
I don't know who to contact about this, or if Herman Miller has a GTA repair centre