• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2021 9:11 am
[OP]
May 23, 2020
3 posts

hf

h
Last edited by LindseyB on Oct 14th, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Share:
17 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
Leave it alone until December. Wait until early Dec when collection agencies are ghost towns (staff not working / laid off). Then try disputing the collection item as Not Yours with Transunion and/or Equifax. YMMV on whether it will work (not guaranteed). This is probably your only option to get it removed. It's unlikely that collection agency staff will want to send the bureaus paperwork to confirm such a small debt so you may get lucky and have it removed when the agency doesn't respond.

Collection agency staff won't waste time cutting a deal to remove it from your bureaus for only 50 bucks.

Otherwise, as time passes it will have a much lesser effect on your score.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2452 posts
1838 upvotes
CBC ran a story about this before: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/market ... -1.3851956

They can't put a collections on your credit file for a private parking "ticket". They can't tell who actually parked the car there. Just dispute it off your credit file but make sure to check both Equifax and Transunion for it. If you don't pay it, just make sure you don't park your car in a lot managed by the same company (Impark, etc), and you should be fine... or just change your license plates for the car.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1933 posts
640 upvotes
I've always wondered what happens if you get a ticket, but someone takes it off your windshield so you never know.

Also these private lot tickets are pretty scammy.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1974 posts
1446 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Shadow Rider wrote: I've always wondered what happens if you get a ticket, but someone takes it off your windshield so you never know.

I personally don't think they are "scammy" unless there is no notice regarding it being a private lot or that people parking there and not conducting business at the location will be ticketed/towed without notice.

Where I used to live, I had someone park in the reserved parking spot allocated to my place and then get upset with me for calling the ticketing/towing company where it is clearly indicated that the parking spot is reserved for my apartment in the complex.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5560 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver
Tickets from private lots don't have to be paid and don't affect your credit score, as has been reported and discussed here many times.

Check your assumptions first. You said your credit score went down - but do you know it was anything to do with this ticket?

Are you sure it was a private lot? Universities and such have special deals that allow them to issue enforceable tickets.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Tickets from private lots don't have to be paid and don't affect your credit score, as has been reported and discussed here many times.

Check your assumptions first. You said your credit score went down - but do you know it was anything to do with this ticket?

Are you sure it was a private lot? Universities and such have special deals that allow them to issue enforceable tickets.
Back in the real world... any business can send any unpaid account to collections, and it WILL affect your credit score. I've seen stuff sent to collections as little as $10 to $20.

I assume that the OP checked his Transunion and/or Equifax and saw the collections on his file.

His best bet is to follow my advice and try to dispute it with the bureaus (claiming not your debt) in December to get it removed. Flip a coin whether it works though, not guaranteed.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
Shadow Rider wrote: I've always wondered what happens if you get a ticket, but someone takes it off your windshield so you never know.

Generally they will send a notice in the mail asking for payment before they send something to collections. They have an agreement to pull license plate data and owner address from MTO.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Oct 13th, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
IEpicDestroyer wrote: CBC ran a story about this before: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/market ... -1.3851956

They can't put a collections on your credit file for a private parking "ticket". They can't tell who actually parked the car there. Just dispute it off your credit file but make sure to check both Equifax and Transunion for it. If you don't pay it, just make sure you don't park your car in a lot managed by the same company (Impark, etc), and you should be fine... or just change your license plates for the car.
Please don't follow the above advice. This is false and parking tickets absolutely get sent to collections... especially municipal tickets. They don't care who was driving the car, they are billing the registered owner of the vehicle. They pull MTO data from the license plate to get the name and address of the registered owner.

What holds up in court vs what gets sent to collections are totally different issues. As I said, any business can report any account they feel is unpaid to credit bureaus, or sell it to collections. It is often very difficult to get collections removed from your credit report.

The deck is stacked against the consumer / average person.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5560 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver
Kurtz7834 wrote: Back in the real world... any business can send any unpaid account to collections, and it WILL affect your credit score. I've seen stuff sent to collections as little as $10 to $20.

I assume that the OP checked his Transunion and/or Equifax and saw the collections on his file.

His best bet is to follow my advice and try to dispute it with the bureaus (claiming not your debt) in December to get it removed. Flip a coin whether it works though, not guaranteed.
Don't assume, check.

The amount is not the issue. The issue is whether credit reporting agencies accept reports of unpaid private tickets tied to a car licence plate. Past consesus here in the real world is that they do not. That's why it would be new information to find out that they did in this case.
Last edited by Scote64 on Oct 13th, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10358 posts
2286 upvotes
Victoria
Kurtz7834 wrote: Please don't follow the above advice. This is false and parking tickets absolutely get sent to collections... especially municipal tickets. They don't care who was driving the car, they are billing the registered owner of the vehicle. They pull MTO data from the license plate to get the name and address of the registered owner.

What holds up in court vs what gets sent to collections are totally different issues. As I said, any business can report any account they feel is unpaid to credit bureaus, or sell it to collections. It is often very difficult to get collections removed from your credit report.

I don't think the poster was arguing that it could or couldn't be sent to collections. They were arguing that collection agencies don't have the power to put the unpaid ticket on your credit profile.

I don't have have an unpaid parking ticket, but I might have a decades old speeding ticket I got in a different province. The province sold their unpaid tickets to a collection agency, which constantly tries to contact me. It's never impacted my credit score.

I guess the poster was trying to verify that the OP did see the ticket on their credit report and it wasn't something else that caused it?
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Don't assume, check.

And never contact a credit agency to admit that a debt is yours and give them contact information until you intend to pay.

The amount is not the issue. The issue is whether credit reporting agencies accept reports of unpaid private tickets tied to a car licence plate. Past consesus here in the real world is that they do not. That's why it would be new information to find out that they did in this case.
It is better just to pay the ticket, ideally on time. Just because an unpaid ticket hasn't been registered with a collection agency and reported to the bureau yet, doesn't mean it can't be in the future.

Truly not worth potentially causing serious damage to your credit rating over $50-$100.

And don't be naive, the collection agencies and the bureaus often bend / ignore the rules.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
The others are right though OP, make sure that this unpaid ticket is actually a collection item on your credit files. There are many reason why your credit score may drop.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
I was not aware that unpaid parking tickets could not be reported as collection items on your bureau reports. Does anyone have a source for this claim?

This article seems to suggest otherwise:
https://www.mymoneycoach.ca/blog/how-do ... redit.html
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5560 posts
5751 upvotes
Vancouver
Kurtz7834 wrote: Please don't follow the above advice. This is false and parking tickets absolutely get sent to collections... especially municipal tickets. They don't care who was driving the car, they are billing the registered owner of the vehicle. They pull MTO data from the license plate to get the name and address of the registered owner.

Whoa, slow down on the misinformation here.

Municipal tickets are totally different. They have the law behind them by special arrangement, and they absolutely do have the power to collect, in some provinces by denying your licence plate renewal. There's no point in letting those tickets go to collections - pay them.

Private lot tickets are another matter. If left unpaid they will certainly go to "collections", which is mostly just a shell collections agency owned by the same company that has no power to do anything. These cases can't go to court, because the courts won't hear them. And it has been very reliably confirmed many times in the past that credit reporting agencies don't accept reports of unpaid private parking tickets (check past threads here on RFD). That's why it's important to verify what's actually going on here.

rover-parking-impark-ticket-went-collec ... e-2365630/
question-about-easy-park-parking-ticket-bc-2306735/

And yes, I personally have had two private parking tickets that I thought were ludicrously unjustified over the years, so I put them in the trash and ignored all notices. Effect: zero.

(Not to suggest that you shouldn't pay if it's justified - I've done that too.)
Last edited by Scote64 on Oct 13th, 2021 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Whoa, slow down on the misinformation here.

Municipal tickets are totally different. They have the law behind them by special arrangement, and they absolutely do have the power to collect, in some provinces by denying your licence plate renewal. There's no point in letting those tickets go to collections - pay them.

Private lot tickets are another matter. If left unpaid they will certainly go to "collections", which is mostly just a shell collections agency owned by the same company that has no power to do anything. These cases can't go to court, because the courts won't hear them. And it has been very reliably confirmed many times in the past that credit reporting agencies don't accept reports of unpaid private parking tickets (check past threads here on RFD). That's why it's important to verify what's actually going on here.
OK, it appears I am incorrect regarding private parking tickets, my apologies

Thanks for the informative posts.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3781 posts
1289 upvotes
Edmonton
I have atleast a dozen unpaid parking tickets. Does that mean my credit score can go down to zero? :)

I'm tempted now to check my score but it doesn't really affect anything does it? I mean it just is for lenders to evaluate borrowers?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15133 posts
5654 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: I have atleast a dozen unpaid parking tickets. Does that mean my credit score can go down to zero? :)

I'm tempted now to check my score but it doesn't really affect anything does it? I mean it just is for lenders to evaluate borrowers?
Your credit score can affect whether you are approved to rent an apartment, insurance rates, many other factors.

It's important to not ruin your credit score, and it's good to make sure there are not errors on it. Best to check it with Transunion and Equifax.