[Hi Tech] Toronto - Hi Tech closing sale. Movies, video games

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2019 6:27 pm
24 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2007
1245 posts
509 upvotes
Wow really sad. I've been going there since I was about 5? 6? Jeez. Almost 25 years. Haven't been in years but it was my go to place over game shack and game center.

I'll always remember when I got earthbound there for $20.

Also when I found a game genie for $30 and told Chris C. from school I was going to ask my mom for the money to get it, only to find out he went there after school to buy it for himself. What a dick.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3585 posts
2142 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, first Queen Video and now these guys

been to both places many times will be sad to see them go

**** gentrification
Deal Addict
May 12, 2007
1245 posts
509 upvotes
SuckaB wrote: OPENING HOURS
Monday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tuesday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Wednesday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Friday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm

Would've loved to check it out. Too bad it's not open on weekends
I think that's a typo, or were you being sarcastic ?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3940 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto
series1000 wrote: I think that's a typo, or were you being sarcastic ?
Sorry is it? I got it from a Google result. I'll remove it just in case.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2007
1245 posts
509 upvotes
SuckaB wrote: Sorry is it? I got it from a Google result. I'll remove it just in case.
Maybe they changed the hours due to closing. I always remember them being open on Saturday and closed on Sundays.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3940 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto
series1000 wrote: Maybe they changed the hours due to closing. I always remember them being open on Saturday and closed on Sundays.
Must have been an old yellowpage result.

Ignore my ignorance :)
Nov 15, 2013
843 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
Really shitty to see another local shop closing.

I will say one of the positive effects of gentrification is many businesses end up moving to different area's neighborhoods. I live on the east end (near Victoria Park) and we've seen an influx of businesses that were previously downtown or west side move to the east end.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2007
1245 posts
509 upvotes
SynGamer wrote: Really shitty to see another local shop closing.

I will say one of the positive effects of gentrification is many businesses end up moving to different area's neighborhoods. I live on the east end (near Victoria Park) and we've seen an influx of businesses that were previously downtown or west side move to the east end.
If only our city invested in and had more support for public transit. It would be a Tokyo dream.
Nov 15, 2013
843 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
series1000 wrote: If only our city invested in and had more support for public transit. It would be a Tokyo dream.
Having visited Tokyo for the first time last Fall, i wholeheartedly agree that the investment in a proper transit system is vital to a city such as Toronto. It's clear the city is decades behind where they should be, and the current plans will, at best, get them caught up, but still no future-proofing.
Jan 31, 2008
257 posts
166 upvotes
Etobicoke
Wow...I cannot believe High Tech is closing. That's one of the best indie game shops around. I will have to pay them a visit ASAP. Truly a sad day to learn of this.
Jan 14, 2019
10 posts
5 upvotes
EVIL-C wrote: Wow...I cannot believe High Tech is closing. That's one of the best indie game shops around. I will have to pay them a visit ASAP. Truly a sad day to learn of this.
I went by there a few evenings ago. I believe the building is vacant now :(
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1780 posts
978 upvotes
Full blame can't fall on gentrification. If they could pay the lease for the area they could have stayed in business. The entire gaming store idea is dying out (look at Eb games) and rent in those areas are going up.
Apr 30, 2016
471 posts
282 upvotes
GTA
Sad to see this place go. I remember going there when I was a kid and purchased an used PS1 for around $80-90. Went home and tested it out and to my surprised the console was modded and allowed me to play copied games on CD-R discs. Heck of a deal at the time.
Nov 17, 2014
382 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto, ON
djpr wrote: Full blame can't fall on gentrification. If they could pay the lease for the area they could have stayed in business. The entire gaming store idea is dying out (look at Eb games) and rent in those areas are going up.
I mean, the majority can likely be blamed on gentrification. Whens the last time you bought a physical copy of a game? (assuming PC gaming)
Diablo 3 collectors edition, for me.