• Aug 22nd, 2017 5:20 pm
[OP]
Dec 20, 2013
41 posts
2 upvotes
MONTR

High end Foam Mattress - online shopping

Hi All,

I went to Sleep Country (Actually, Dormez-Vous in Montreal) this Saturday. Long story short, we wanted info on foam Mattress, we tried one and really liked it. Of course, the salesman got his usual "you're lucky, I found you the last 2016 and I can do it at only 2130$". The model was Sealy Optimum Chill Vivivienne. It really got a 5* Hotel feel.

So I intensified the online reasearches. This actual mattress has no online review.
Sealy is generally really poorly rated on Sleep like the dead, Consumer report, etc.

Conclusion, I am really not confident buying that mattress.
So I'm settling to buy online and since I kinda had my mind set on a 2130$; then that's roughly my budget (although I won't mind saving 1000$ if that's what I end up paying).

I'm wondering if you guys have real life trials based feedback on the following, it would help me even more if you tell me why you chose one of those over the rest of my list if you considered the others. If you considered them and went with something else, that's good too:

Purple
Novosbed
Douglas
Leesa
Novaform Serafina Pearl (Costco)
Amerisleep AS3

(note that Bear, Loom and Leaf, Saatva, Sapira are not yet shopping in Montreal)

Thank you very much! There is no such thing as a bad feedback.
Last edited by alexstream on Aug 14th, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
May 28, 2017
204 posts
65 upvotes
I don't see what the benefit of a spring mattress is.

http://www.myessentia.com/learn/versus/ ... -mattress/

If you like hard or soft you can get 4" of regular foam of various hardness or softness then 1-2" of memory foam topper for around $500. After 4-5 years you can replace it and they make for nice cleaning sponges.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7602 posts
3384 upvotes
COMCRUISE wrote: I don't see what the benefit of a spring mattress is.

http://www.myessentia.com/learn/versus/ ... -mattress/

If you like hard or soft you can get 4" of regular foam of various hardness or softness then 1-2" of memory foam topper for around $500. After 4-5 years you can replace it and they make for nice cleaning sponges.
What an awesome world we would have if everyone decided to replace their mattress every 4 years.

Landfill anyone? Lol!!
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Dec 20, 2013
41 posts
2 upvotes
MONTR
I erased mentions of innerspring in OP to avoid confusion. I Am considering only online Foam mattresses. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1901 posts
1066 upvotes
London
We stayed at a Marriott hotel that had all foam mattresses and loved it. After some research we bought this one from Amazon.ca.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007HD ... UTF8&psc=1

The current price is greatly inflated however. We paid $449 in July 2013. No tax for some reason. My wife LOVES it. I used to love it and still like it alot. I wish that there was more upward counter pressure if that makes sense. Ideally I would like something with some springs and some foam.

Good luck in your search. I'd actually consider buying the ones that Marriott sells (if they still offer that). As a side note, I often make the recommendation to patients that if they are unsure if thier mattress is shot (usualy 7-9 years is a good time to start the replacment process), to spend the money and stay at a nicer hotel (Marriot, Hilton, Omni etc) and see if they sleep better in the different environment than they do at home.

Sleep quality is so important and some people do sleep better on the beater couch in the basement than on a $3000 matress. Some couples also buy two different single beds and push them together which also makes alot of sense.

I have also heard good things about Casper mattresses and pillows.
Sep 14, 2007
952 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
For a lot of these online foam mattresses you get 100 day trials, and they take them back and donate them to those in need. You really need to try them out to see what you like.
I have the Leesa, and I think it's great, but some might think it's too firm/soft.
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
198 posts
119 upvotes
Whatever you do don't buy a foam mattress from one of those no name stores on Dundas St in Mississauga.
I got a bait and switch pretty much. Definitely wasn't what I tried out in the showroom. I got some piece of crap that was hot all the time. Threw it out.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19694 posts
23084 upvotes
GTA
Bought a king size latex mattress from BrooklynBedding.com for $900 USD and couldn't happier. Best mattress we've ever had.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jan 10, 2008
43 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I have Amerisleep I got few weeks back...love it
Dec 28, 2006
992 posts
354 upvotes
Bought the Leesa almost a month ago based off of stellar online reviews and a glowing review from a friend who also has one.

I'm quite happy with it so far. For me it's perfect for stomach, side and back sleeping. I used a super old, fairly low quality mattress before this and would occasionally wake up with back pain and that hasn't happened so far. The Leesa also has a 100 day return period, so if any of this changes in the next 2 months I'll just return it.

Only downside has been a weird off gassing odour. It mostly dissipated in the first few days, but I can still smell it sometimes. It's not really unpleasant, just strange.

The only other mattress I tried was the Foldoy from Ikea. Absolutely hated that one because it was wayyyy too firm for me. Was like sleeping on a rock. Possible it gets much better when broken in and I tried a new display model, but based on my experience in store the process behind breaking it in would be really rough.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2488 upvotes
Bump. Is there a review site for all of those mattresses mentioned above preferably by the same person?