• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 1:39 pm
[OP]
Jun 20, 2020
8 posts

High Humidity in the Condo Unit

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice.

Is it normal for humidity to be really high inside a condo unit if its humid outside?

For example, if humidity outside is 77%, my condo unit is at 77 RH%.

I feel my condo units humidity/RH% is fairly high in comparison to the norm. I am on the 15th floor though; I'm not sure if that would have an impact.

Is there any tips or things I can do?

Thank you.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4599 posts
1833 upvotes
GTA
You can purchase a dehumidifier and just run that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8423 posts
5301 upvotes
Mississauga
Are you keeping the windows close? Do you not have a/c in your condo?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12914 posts
7672 upvotes
Brampton
Depends on your condo. Old Condos yes.

They don't have fancier ERV systems and aren't very well sealed. Their old air exchange systems just passed thru some fibre glass filters and called it a day. So it's going to be nice and humid just like the outside.
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
Bumping this, new condo dweller here.

I have the same issue and my unit is not even a year old, it does have a ERV and it feels like the fan coil unit barely does anything on high fan power.

Is buying a dehumidifier the only solution? I'm looking at the cheapest units and they're all $150....I'm tired of buying little units for everything, air cleaner, tower fan, humidier and now dehumidifier.... will I need a heater for winter too??
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
restartRFD wrote: Bumping this, new condo dweller here.

I have the same issue and my unit is not even a year old, it does have a ERV and it feels like the fan coil unit barely does anything on high fan power.

Is buying a dehumidifier the only solution? I'm looking at the cheapest units and they're all $150....I'm tired of buying little units for everything, air cleaner, tower fan, humidier and now dehumidifier.... will I need a heater for winter too??
you shouldn't need a dehumidifier.

If you have kitchen/bathroom exhaust fans, use them whenever showering/cooking.

Reduce the fan-coil fan speed if you can from the wall control/thermostat -> lower speeds are better for dehumidifying, the air stays in contact with the cold coil for longer. You should also set the fan to auto, not on, to prevent condensed moisture from re-evaporating from the coil when cooling setting is reached.

If problems persist, get condo management involved.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6382 posts
628 upvotes
Murica
restartRFD wrote: Bumping this, new condo dweller here.

Why not run AC?
How long do you leave windows open for?
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
I run the AC but it doesn't cut the humidity enough. Windows are always closed.

I'm going to take a closer look at the fan coil controls, it's complete garbage and WiFi features were discontinued despite being released just last year.

Thanks for the tips!
Long Time RFDer / restarting life

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)