• Sep 3rd, 2021 12:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21961 posts
1745 upvotes
Shanghai, China

High quality arm mount?

I'm looking for something high quality that will last a long time. I'm currently looking at the Ergotron HX. It's definitely on the expensive side. Is it worth it? What makes it so much more expensive than the cheaper arms on Amazon? I'm looking to mount a Dell U3818DW or Alienware AW3821DW.
19 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20736 posts
6196 upvotes
GTA
My workplace provided these for us, the dual monitor dock with docking base. Really well built, I looked at the price tag and noped out of there.

Literally the Humanscale chair and monitor mount/dock I got from work is worth more then the i7 Surface Pro 5 we use.

Edit: I'm a dumbo, I didn't even post the link: https://ca.humanscale.com/404/404.cfm?4 ... nitor-arms
Last edited by coriolis on Aug 31st, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17781 posts
10313 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a Ergotron LX for my 34 inch monitor. It's definitely a step up from the cheap Amazon/Primecables types of arms. Those cheaper ones can work too but you can see and feel the difference side by side, especially when handling a heavy monitor, there is less wobble and shakiness to them. The last thing you want is an arm that will fall one day because they skimped on some cheap part.

This is the kind of thing you should only need to buy once and it will probably outlast the monitor and any computer you buy.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Aug 8, 2010
975 posts
301 upvotes
coriolis wrote: My workplace provided these for us, the dual monitor dock with docking base. Really well built, I looked at the price tag and noped out of there.

Literally the Humanscale chair and monitor mount/dock I got from work is worth more then the i7 Surface Pro 5 we use.

Edit: I'm a dumbo, I didn't even post the link: https://ca.humanscale.com/404/404.cfm?4 ... nitor-arms
Goodness...what do you work? all I got is just a $500 buck for a desk in the fed. and the laptop is i5 8th gen....
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3246 posts
1369 upvotes
Unless they've changed suppliers, the Amazon arms are made by Ergotron. I have 2 of them and the original shipping label on the box says from Ergotron.
Of course this only applies to the ones that look like Ergotron copies.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21961 posts
1745 upvotes
Shanghai, China
shutterbug wrote: Unless they've changed suppliers, the Amazon arms are made by Ergotron. I have 2 of them and the original shipping label on the box says from Ergotron.
Of course this only applies to the ones that look like Ergotron copies.
Which Amazon arms are made by Ergotron? If I can get Ergotron quality for cheap, I would consider it.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17781 posts
10313 upvotes
Ottawa
Sgt_Strider wrote: Which Amazon arms are made by Ergotron? If I can get Ergotron quality for cheap, I would consider it.
Yup, the AmazonBasic Premium arm is a Ergotron LX, with a different finish. I went with the actual Ergotron because I wanted a different clamp (C-Clamp) than the one that Amazon comes with.

As for weight, it will actually support a 34 inch, but 38 might be over the limit?
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1577 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: Any markings to indicate it was made by Ergotron? Is this sufficient enough for my monitors?
No I don't think I recall seeing any branding from Ergotron as expected - kind of like Kirkland products. Can vouch for the Amazon mount though - it is super sturdy and well constructed. The mount can support up to 25lbs and those monitors are less than 20lbs so it should support it. You can always try it out - can always return it back to Amazon if you don't like it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21961 posts
1745 upvotes
Shanghai, China
warpdrive wrote:
Yup, the AmazonBasic Premium arm is a Ergotron LX, with a different finish. I went with the actual Ergotron because I wanted a different clamp (C-Clamp) than the one that Amazon comes with.

As for weight, it will actually support a 34 inch, but 38 might be over the limit?
bst wrote: No I don't think I recall seeing any branding from Ergotron as expected - kind of like Kirkland products. Can vouch for the Amazon mount though - it is super sturdy and well constructed. The mount can support up to 25lbs and those monitors are less than 20lbs so it should support it. You can always try it out - can always return it back to Amazon if you don't like it.
Is there an AmazonBasics version of the Ergotron HX?

What is a C-Clamp?

So why should anyone consider Ergotron branded arms when there is an AmazonBasics version?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1577 posts
828 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: Is there an AmazonBasics version of the Ergotron HX?

What is a C-Clamp?

So why should anyone consider Ergotron branded arms when there is an AmazonBasics version?
No I do not think there are other Amazon branded ones that are rated for a higher weight capacity.

Different market - Ergontron or Humanscale main customers aren't those at home, they deal with businesses with offices.

https://media.ergotron.com/reserved/res ... s-orig.pdf outlines the different clamps available - the C clamp is what I assume to be the low-profile clamp. Amazon comes up with the 2 piece clamp and the grommet mount.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21961 posts
1745 upvotes
Shanghai, China
bst wrote: No I do not think there are other Amazon branded ones that are rated for a higher weight capacity.

Different market - Ergontron or Humanscale main customers aren't those at home, they deal with businesses with offices.

https://media.ergotron.com/reserved/res ... s-orig.pdf outlines the different clamps available - the C clamp is what I assume to be the low-profile clamp. Amazon comes up with the 2 piece clamp and the grommet mount.
I just checked the specs on the Alienware AW3821DW's specs and it says 12.1kg. That's really pushing things. Maybe I should just get the Ergotron HX and call it a day...
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17781 posts
10313 upvotes
Ottawa
Sgt_Strider wrote: Is there an AmazonBasics version of the Ergotron HX?

What is a C-Clamp?

There two other alternative clamps offered with the Ergotron arms that aren't available with the Amazon one. The standard clamp wouldn't work with my desk because there is a crossbeam on my desk blocking where the standard clamp would mount.

I have this one https://www.ergotron.com/en-ca/products ... ils/98-082 (low profile C-Clamp)
This one clamps above your desk, not below https://www.ergotron.com/en-ca/products ... ils/98-122

As stated, the Amazon one is just the LX, Ergotron sells many other models. If you just want the LX with the standard clamp, just buy the Amazon one
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7467 posts
4091 upvotes
Debtario
I highly recommend going with ergotron (or rebranded ergotron - amazonbasics and HP). You will not be disappointed, you are paying for a buy it for life product that extrudes qualty.

If you just want to mount your monitors and rarely move them, it may be overkill. But where these ergotron arms shine is in how fluid the movement is, it's a pleasure to use. Don't have to deal with sagging screen or jerky movements. The range of motion is super handy, you can do portrait mode and swivel it around, up down and anywhere you want with ease.

Edit: I have 2 of the older style Ergotron LX arms from around 2009 and 2012 (black and grey, with the 1 foot pole mount), got both off kijiji (one was $90, loved it and later found a second one for $50) and have never bothered using the included stands with any of my monitors after getting the LX, puts everything to shame no matter how great the stands are. I actually have both arms mounted on a single pole, love how the monitors "float" over my desk and I can actually use my desk space for other clutter instead of monitor stands.

Edit 2: Just checked what model I have, it's the 45-179-195. Surprisingly these discontinued models are not easy to find.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17781 posts
10313 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, once you get a monitor arm, you'll never want to go back to a stand. Wastes so much space. Even if you don't move the monitor, even the space underneath the monitor that is reclaimed is now useful. It's a must have IMO, but every time I tell people to get one for their computers, it seems to fall on deaf ears.
Oct 29, 2019
509 posts
380 upvotes
Ergotron hx is worth it especially if you have a larger monitor like yours. I have a 38 ultrawide when mounted on the hX makes a world of difference compared to cheaper mounts - no wobble and when you move the monitor angle /heightit it just moves solid amd gives you the feeling of sturdiness and confidence.

Loved the hx so much I actually just got one for my 7.5lbs 27” monitor lol - it is ymmv because HX is is rated for monitor 20lbs and above I believe and when I actually tested my 27” on my first HX, it wouldn’t fully support the light monitor (just barely) so I asked Dell to cancel my order but they offered me a refund of $32 so I took it. Not sure why, but this 2nd HX actually holds my 7.5lb monitor without issue, super sturdy and stable mount. Buy once and forget about it :).

PS, I also had a Humandscale m8.1 used on my 38 ultrawide and that mount is as good as the HX. Won’t go into details on comparison of the 2 but there is a great video on YouTube if you search Ergotron HX vs Humanscale M10 - pros and cons all apply.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2029 posts
1089 upvotes
I would look into using PrimeCables and what they offer for the cheap. They are the Canadian branch of Monoprice America and my tv wall mount is 2 years old and going strong on my 55” tv. Pretty fast with my shipments taking 2-3 days tops usually for me and my order through them.
[external link removed]