• Feb 25th, 2018 1:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
152 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

High Risk Travel Insurence

Hello, anyone here on advice? or are they any insurance people here?

parents are traveling to India for 2 weeks and been told one needs high risk..
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16543 posts
13871 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
There are definitely companies that specialize in this
Google for names
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1323 posts
786 upvotes
Ottawa
Be aware that "high risk" can mean 2 separate things. One is an insured person with pre-existing medical conditions. I have one friend who uses TravelEase from manulife for this. He grumbles about it, but he grumbles about everything. The other is coverage for healthy people that does not exclude "high risk" activities like adventure sports, or travel to particularly risky regions, that are often excluded in conventional travel insurance. I think that is more often called "special risk" and at a former employer of mine, those who needed such insurance got their travel insurance switched from Manulife to Ingle who had some better product for that.

I'm not particularly recommending these providers, just giving concrete names to help you explore and compare. Good luck.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16543 posts
13871 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
houska wrote: Be aware that "high risk" can mean 2 separate things. One is an insured person with pre-existing medical conditions. I have one friend who uses TravelEase from manulife for this. He grumbles about it, but he grumbles about everything. The other is coverage for healthy people that does not exclude "high risk" activities like adventure sports, or travel to particularly risky regions, that are often excluded in conventional travel insurance. I think that is more often called "special risk" and at a former employer of mine, those who needed such insurance got their travel insurance switched from Manulife to Ingle who had some better product for that.

I'm not particularly recommending these providers, just giving concrete names to help you explore and compare. Good luck.
You are right.

Which is exactly why I did not give the OP more specific info, cause he did not define what type of high risk his Parents would be encountering, be it Health or Safety (there are most definitely Cdn Travel Advisories out for parts of India = https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/india )