None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1467 posts
359 upvotes
Vancouver

High School Courses Requirements

Hey guys, i'm 22, I want to go to school for something in the medical field but I don't have any physics or regular math. What would be the fastest way to accomplish this? I see most highschool upgrading courses in college are around $600-700 dollars that would cost me around $3000 just to get my highschool courses upgraded in most colleges.

Thanks.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2641 posts
1366 upvotes
Toronto
So is getting a GED not enough for this? You might want to call up places that do offer GED and ask them for advice.
Apr 16, 2012
232 posts
67 upvotes
London
I'm not sure how it is in Vancouver, but the school board here has a school thats dedicated to essentially upgrading marks and taking courses in the evening. The classes consisted of people in high school picking up extra courses they didn't have room in their schedule for all the way up to a couple 30-40 year olds who were getting a science credit they were missing to apply for other things. I personally took a gr 12 chemistry course 2 years after I'd graduated high school to be eligible for the program I wanted to get into, it cost me $20 to register since it was through the public school board.

$20 at a public school vs $600 at a college

If your local board doesnt offer something like that, there are online courses (the name escapes me atm) but they're cheap as well
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1220 upvotes
aGincourt
There has to be night school / summer school / adult day school / virtual school options over there.... I went to adult day school here in the GTA and it costs me $20 for 2 courses

If I paid $700 I'd rather just pay for private school and get a 98
Jul 11, 2014
59 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Use independent learning. I use ILC in Ontario for those 2 credits to upgrade. I only advise you use it if you're up to the challenge of learning the whole subject by yourself while submitting the work online and going into the facility for the exam once you're done your work. $40 per online course. You can use this if you have a high school diploma already and if you do not.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
in ontario we have "adult schools" which can do one course over 2.5 month for $40 fee plus $100 book deposit.

Ilc is online adult school which charges $35? or $45 but is all pdf's which you print at home and type answers in Microsoft word and send online.
with ilc you can go as fast as you want.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13886 posts
1361 upvotes
CalmThatCat wrote: I'm not sure how it is in Vancouver, but the school board here has a school thats dedicated to essentially upgrading marks and taking courses in the evening. The classes consisted of people in high school picking up extra courses they didn't have room in their schedule for all the way up to a couple 30-40 year olds who were getting a science credit they were missing to apply for other things. I personally took a gr 12 chemistry course 2 years after I'd graduated high school to be eligible for the program I wanted to get into, it cost me $20 to register since it was through the public school board.

$20 at a public school vs $600 at a college

If your local board doesnt offer something like that, there are online courses (the name escapes me atm) but they're cheap as well
I did this as well, but I will caution you that because it's public school board and it's adult school, you might find it challenging. I did this for 12U English and finished a few weeks ago and I was the only one in the class who got over 80. Most of the class failed, dropped out or barely passed.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Dec 14, 2014
177 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Adult learning schools are your best option
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Syne wrote: I did this as well, but I will caution you that because it's public school board and it's adult school, you might find it challenging. I did this for 12U English and finished a few weeks ago and I was the only one in the class who got over 80. Most of the class failed, dropped out or barely passed.
you're taking high school courses now?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13886 posts
1361 upvotes
What can I say, nursing admissions is ridiculous.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1467 posts
359 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the replies guys. I've never heard of adult schools.
thesk8man wrote: in ontario we have "adult schools" which can do one course over 2.5 month for $40 fee plus $100 book deposit.

Ilc is online adult school which charges $35? or $45 but is all pdf's which you print at home and type answers in Microsoft word and send online.
with ilc you can go as fast as you want.
I hope they have something like this in my region.

edit:

bah. I found one: http://vlns.ca/students/tuition-fees

but it says

"Adult who have graduated (over 19 years of age) A non-refunable $550 course fee is applicable to any course"

another one: http://www.navigatenides.com/courses/adult

"There is a non-refundable tuition fee of $450 per course, however text books, and testing fees are not included."

Costs so much just for online highschool courses... :cry:
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13886 posts
1361 upvotes
Are you sure you're looking at the right place? What thesk8man says is true, these schools are free except for a book deposit. The one in my city recently started offering an online curriculum, and it's my understanding that many of the adult day schools are starting this. Maybe it's just an Ontario thing?

I have heard that the Western provinces do have a lot more privatized education.. Perhaps it's regional.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1467 posts
359 upvotes
Vancouver
Syne wrote: Are you sure you're looking at the right place? What thesk8man says is true, these schools are free except for a book deposit. The one in my city recently started offering an online curriculum, and it's my understanding that many of the adult day schools are starting this. Maybe it's just an Ontario thing?

I have heard that the Western provinces do have a lot more privatized education.. Perhaps it's regional.
I think they added the prices recently. I remember doing English 12 online at VLN for free around 3 years ago... now they added a $550 tuition fee on top of a course cost.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13886 posts
1361 upvotes
Is there a way to demonstrate financial need? It would be pretty backwards if a Canadian province didn't allow low income adults to complete high school

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)