Automotive

Locked: Highbeaming to Get someone off the Left Lane?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2012 11:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2253 posts
262 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: If I am on the left lane and someone highbeam me, I slow down. If he blows his horn, I go slower. If he gives me his middle finger and he is bumpering me, I hit the brakes! I did this once many years ago. The guy was bumpering me and his female passenger was sipping coffee when I hit the brakes. Just as I planned, the passenger gets soaked with coffee!
So, you're in the wrong for holding people up in the passing lane, then you go and instigate something like that? Well, keep doing what you're doing and you'll get what's coming to you one day. Some of us could care less what we pay for insurance and would have zero issues rearending an asshat off the road.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1929 posts
433 upvotes
Calgary
Lol, I'm constantly amazed at how tough every is online!
Feb 12, 2008
996 posts
115 upvotes
iownyou wrote: exactly you deserve it
Obviously logic owns you. I'm clearly ok with getting a ticket or two. I can afford a lawyer to get rid of them for me. To spend 1000 per year to defend myself is small beans when it allows me to rarely be late for the entire year.

Don't act like your never do anything higher than the posted limit. You are worse than the idiots hogging the left lane unnecessarily because you do it purposely and the pther morons are just oblivious.
Feb 12, 2008
996 posts
115 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: If I am on the left lane and someone highbeam me, I slow down. If he blows his horn, I go slower. If he gives me his middle finger and he is bumpering me, I hit the brakes! I did this once many years ago. The guy was bumpering me and his female passenger was sipping coffee when I hit the brakes. Just as I planned, the passenger gets soaked with coffee!
Ya you really stuck it to the driver by having the passenger get soaked with hot coffee. What a humanitarian you are providing a needed public service. I hope the next time you do that the guy gets out and pounds your face in. What he did to you was an annoyance, but what you did to his passenger potentially resulted in a burn. What makes you think this I acceptable behavior?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3673 posts
1033 upvotes
Montreal
tsxnation wrote: Obviously logic owns you. I'm clearly ok with getting a ticket or two. I can afford a lawyer to get rid of them for me. To spend 1000 per year to defend myself is small beans when it allows me to rarely be late for the entire year.

Don't act like your never do anything higher than the posted limit. You are worse than the idiots hogging the left lane unnecessarily because you do it purposely and the pther morons are just oblivious.
So what! Every can afford a lawyer...ESP if it's just 1000$ per year... Btw what kinda cheap lawyer r u getting anyway......
. U should spend 1000bucks a year on fixing your brain....

And stop making assumptions about anyone.... You should get a ticket or two for ur stupid posts
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3673 posts
1033 upvotes
Montreal
ispiratica wrote: Frankly you deserve a swift you know what to your car.

We may break the law for speeding but you break the law by blocking the left lane and you're impairing multiple drivers.

So you're to blame when the middle lane gets disrupted. There's a bloody science to this traffic flow. Heard of a bottleneck?

Why are you in the left lane anyway? Afraid of a few fast cars? Need to pullover soon in your crap mobile? It's not a cruising lane!

You need to read the drivers handbook and the HTA again. If you can't then go back to where you came from (village, town, province or overseas).
You broke the law, be proud!
You make cops happy and your parents sad!
Feb 12, 2008
996 posts
115 upvotes
iownyou wrote: So what! Every can afford a lawyer...ESP if it's just 1000$ per year... Btw what kinda cheap lawyer r u getting anyway......
. U should spend 1000bucks a year on fixing your brain....

And stop making assumptions about anyone.... You should get a ticket or two for ur stupid posts
This post makes me feel embarrassed for you which is good since clearly someone should be.
Feb 4, 2012
277 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa
Whoever said driving is a team sport was pretty much bang on. :idea:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7688 posts
783 upvotes
North York
iownyou wrote: stop going over the speed limits !!!!!!!!
u ppl deserve to pay high insurance rate ~~
Your not suppose to be hogging the left lane at 100km/hr.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1040 posts
451 upvotes
The requirement to move right to let others pass is one of the least understood rules of the road. There are many completely ignorant drivers who are unaware of this rule, and then there are also a number of self-righteous Pr**ks who believe it is up to them to decide how fast is fast enough and will refuse to move right if a faster driver approaches and signals the desire to pass.

If everyone drove properly and courteously, you should be aware of what's happening around you, and get out of the way if a faster car approaches. But if you didn't notice (it happens), just move right when there is room. [Note I'm not talking about the really aggressive driver who seems to want to pass everyone in rush hour, when there is no where to go... but if there is room in front of you, you should move right to left the driver pass].

Here is an excellent and BALANCED article (it does not advocate speeding, but it makes some very important points on the formal and informal laws of the road, and the "moral order" of the roadway). It was written when an Ontario driver initially faced CRIMINAL CHARGES for driving at the speed limit in the left lane. That's right... to all of the self-righteous people who think it is their job to police the speed limits... this driver initially faced CRIMINAL CHARGES for driving at the speed limit in the left lane. Read the article. It is very fair and well balanced. It does not side with speed demons, but will hopefullly inform people who think it's ok to go at 100 or 110 in the left lane on a highway and stay there even if someone wants to pass.

http://www.drivers.com/article/149/

Again it is not your job to police the speed limit. If someone wants to go faster than you, he may have a legitimate reason (e.g. emergency), or he may just be a fast aggressive driver. Either way, every police officer will tell you to let the guy pass.

And if you want to see a very entertaining video of how one state trooper dealt with a completely unaware left lane hog, just do a search on "Cop deals with slow driver in the fast lane". Check it out. You'll enjoy it. There is some language in the video, but nothing that you don't hear on late night TV. You will see in the video, the cop approaches. When the driver doesn't get out of the way, the cop flashes headlights (universally understood to indicate a wish to pass), and gets up close to the slow driver.... then you'll see what happens next.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21168 posts
10608 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
iownyou wrote: U should spend 1000bucks a year on fixing your brain....
You sir, just took the lead for quote of the year.

Signature worthy!
Nov 29, 2011
877 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
If you're in the left lane and people are flashing their high beams at you, chances are you're driving too slowly.

Pull that sh1t in front of me, I have no problem with rear ending you and driving off. Wanna get my license plate and report it to the police? Good luck with that.
Got a ticket? Here's some advice:
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: fight it!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4779 posts
1593 upvotes
Toronto
People just don't like changing lanes unless they want to. On Steeles today some dude in a white Corolla wouldn't move out of the left lane to let an ambulance through... everyone else pulled to the side, and this one guy just sat there at the red light until it turned green, with the ambulance siren blaring right behind him even though there was plenty of room to move over.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2004
2276 posts
224 upvotes
iownyou wrote: stop going over the speed limits !!!!!!!!
u ppl deserve to pay high insurance rate ~~
You can't even get up to 100 in the left lane in Montreal. All the highways are under construction and the traffic is at a stand still.

No wonder you are so frustrated. I would be too with all the bridges falling apart due to rampant corruption in your province.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1040 posts
451 upvotes
Voltex wrote: If you're in the left lane and people are flashing their high beams at you, chances are you're driving too slowly.
Agree.

I can't understand why some people, including a couple of people in this thread, get all upset if someone flashes their lights.

1) As per my post above, it doesn't matter if you are going 100, 110, 120, or whatever..... if someone wants to pass you, it is your responsibility to let him pass. If the guy is an aggressive speeder, let the cops deal with him. It is not your job. Read the article I linked to give a balanced perspective. http://www.drivers.com/article/149/

2) Why get angry? If you are paying attention and driving with courtesy, you would have noticed the faster driver approach before he had to flash his lights, and you would have moved out of the way. IF you didn't notice, that's fine, but when he closes the gap and flashes his lights that is the UNIVERSAL sign that he would like to pass. Why get angry at that? Just get out of the way. Think of it this way: if you can't flash, and can't narrow the gap... how is the guy who wishes to pass suppose to indicate that to you? You should have gotten out of the way before he caught up, but if you didn't notice that's fine, but don't get upset if he has to indicate his desire to pass.

The video I mentioned before is very funny, but I can't link it because there is a bit of language in the video (nothing too bad, but the forum rules apparantly don't allow linking to such videos... but search for "cop deals with slow driver in the fast lane", and you can find it.

Here's another video with no language issues. I think it must be one of the posters on this thread who says if you flash your lights he will slow down. This is video of him break checking a cop. Notice the cop closes the gap, and you can see the reflection of the cop flashing his high beams to indicate this desire to pass. This is a unversally understood signal -- there is no reason to get angry. Some might also complain the cop is tailgating.. but again, what do you think it means if you are in the passing lane, there is space in front of you, and someone is on your tail? It means please let him pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JrEf3-O2s8