• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2020 6:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2019
672 posts
752 upvotes

Higher Gas Mileage

We have a 2009 Camry. Apparently, in mid-late October, the gas mileage rises maybe 40% (12L/100km to maybe 16-17L/100km). No changes. We even remote started few times in September and it was getting 12L/100km, and out of no where, last tank was 14L/100km and this tank will probably be 16-17L/100km. Then in April, the gas mileage gets better by the same amount. Im probably just over reacting but we also have a 2007 Nissan Altima. That doesnt get bad gas mileage in winter, stays almost same all year long.
Last edited by Unknown18281 on Dec 17th, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
31 replies
Sr. Member
Oct 3, 2017
953 posts
786 upvotes
Winter always increases fuel consumption on any vehicle I have ever driven.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2019
672 posts
752 upvotes
George613 wrote: Winter always increases fuel consumption on any vehicle I have ever driven.
I know, but its like theres a specfic date that the gas mileage goes up. Its like 1 tank, its good, 2nd tank its like above normal. Usually its suppose to be a 0.5-1.5L/100km if not more. Not like a 5-6L/100km difference
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
Stations already switched to winter gas?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2019
672 posts
752 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Stations already switched to winter gas?
Yes, but even after change to winter gas, it was fine for like a month
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35652 posts
21738 upvotes
Center of Universe
Unknown18281 wrote: Yes, but even after change to winter gas, it was fine for like a month
Now that it's colder, your vehicle is likely running richer to get the engine up to temp quicker.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2019
672 posts
752 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Now that it's colder, your vehicle is likely running richer to get the engine up to temp quicker.
Ok but theres a difference of 5-6L/100k sometimes 7-10.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2019
672 posts
752 upvotes
George613 wrote: So OP what exactly is your question?
Whys there a big difference between summer and winter, 5-7L/100km, it's supposed to be like 1-2
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4693 posts
2813 upvotes
Sounds like a sensor issue. Mass airflow sensor, or some other sensor is stuck and not reading things correctly.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2019
672 posts
752 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Sounds like a sensor issue. Mass airflow sensor, or some other sensor is stuck and not reading things correctly.
216k km, no cel. If that was the case, wouldnt the gas mileage be bad all year around?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4693 posts
2813 upvotes
Unknown18281 wrote: 216k km, no cel. If that was the case, wouldnt the gas mileage be bad all year around?
Unless the sensor or something is stuck on "summer weather".
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2019
672 posts
752 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Unless the sensor or something is stuck on "summer weather".
Really lol, it happens every winter season
Member
Oct 25, 2020
272 posts
193 upvotes
Tires with worse rolling resistance
Winter fuel
More idling
Every start is essentially a cold start due to temperatures. More fuel is burned when the engine is cold.

Also 12L/100 in the summer is pretty terrible, I forgot the V6s were thirsty in the city. I would try measuring fuel economy with trip odometer and fuel measured by every fill up. The computer is pretty accurate but I wouldn't trust it 100%


Basic stuff like cleaning the MAF sensor, pulling the battery for 20-30 minutes and letting the computer recalibrate is a start.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 6, 2019
672 posts
752 upvotes
MyGoToUserName wrote: Tires with worse rolling resistance
Winter fuel
More idling
Every start is essentially a cold start due to temperatures. More fuel is burned when the engine is cold.

Also 12L/100 in the summer is pretty terrible, I forgot the V6s were thirsty in the city. I would try measuring fuel economy with trip odometer and fuel measured by every fill up. The computer is pretty accurate but I wouldn't trust it 100%


Basic stuff like cleaning the MAF sensor, pulling the battery for 20-30 minutes and letting the computer recalibrate is a start.
Yes I know
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4962 posts
1841 upvotes
These are my averages over the past year (2015 Lancer tuned COBB Stage 2 ... only Petro Canada 91 Octane):

SUMMER: 15.5km/L ( or 6.45 L / 100 km)

WINTER: 12.5km/L ( or 8 L / 100 km )

I reset the Trip Odometer each time I fill up.

Take the number of kilometers driven and divide my the number of litres to fill up.

It's been constant for the past 5 years.
Last edited by jdmfishingonly on Nov 3rd, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2

Top