• Sep 5th, 2021 11:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4047 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Highest gasoline - diesel differential?

What's the highest price differential between 87 octane gasoline and normal diesel and what's normal? I seem to remember diesel usually priced slightly higher in the past but I was a bit astounded a few weeks back when diesel was priced $0.26/l less than 87 octane (for a week or two) in SW BC. Even right now, the differential is close to $0.20/l (I think $0.19 today).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9954 posts
7880 upvotes
Kootenays
Diesel prices vary according to season. It's essentially exactly the same as furnace oil, so during heating season, there's more demand and the price goes up. During the summer, prices usually either go down, or don't rise as much as gasoline if we're in a situation like now with an upward trend with crude.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5769 posts
4920 upvotes
Oakville, ON
smacd wrote: Diesel prices vary according to season. It's essentially exactly the same as furnace oil, so during heating season, there's more demand and the price goes up. During the summer, prices usually either go down, or don't rise as much as gasoline if we're in a situation like now with an upward trend with crude.
This. Close thread.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4047 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
10% more energy for diesel so (assuming gas and diesel vehicles cost the same, which they don't) diesel has that it its favour. That said, I've never driven a diesel in Canada (not even or maybe a 5-ton truck 35 years ago) so never paid close attention to the prices until a month ago. Personally know of only one person who does (neighbour with an old VW Golf). The price may be a factor for me if I ever bought a diesel Class A RV (which comes with all the problem of being possibly too big and having much-higher servicing costs).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4047 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Kiraly wrote: Diesel used to always be cheaper than gasoline, at least in BC. I remember my friend's grandfather who drove diesel everything (he had a large orchard in the Okanagan) really complaining when it flipped.
Seems to be a different market on the coast (or rather, island). Talked to a neighbour who gave me a ride to get my bee hives last week in is Cummins-powered Dodge. Seems the differential range in the past few years (he's been here close to 50 years except for a few years back in Ontario) has been $0.10-30/l in favour of diesel.
smacd wrote: Diesel prices vary according to season. It's essentially exactly the same as furnace oil, so during heating season, there's more demand and the price goes up. During the summer, prices usually either go down, or don't rise as much as gasoline if we're in a situation like now with an upward trend with crude.
Not much demand for heating oil down here so diesel is almost always quite a bit less than gasoline.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9954 posts
7880 upvotes
Kootenays
thriftshopper wrote: Seems to be a different market on the coast (or rather, island). Talked to a neighbour who gave me a ride to get my bee hives last week in is Cummins-powered Dodge. Seems the differential range in the past few years (he's been here close to 50 years except for a few years back in Ontario) has been $0.10-30/l in favour of diesel.

Not much demand for heating oil down here so diesel is almost always quite a bit less than gasoline.
Of course, there are no longer any refineries in BC, so everything comes from either Alberta or Washington state. There are still quite a few pockets in BC where NG is not available. I'm in one and until 10 years or so ago, we still had an oil furnace. These days, heat pumps have become so efficient, in these areas without NG, most people go with a fancoil and heat pump as it's much cheaper and far more predictable as far as pricing goes.