HighFarms in Mississauga price gouging

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2020 7:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5722 posts
1049 upvotes
Toronto
I had to read OP again. The confusion was what many retailers were doing amidst the paper demand spike and spreading what few varieties they had across all the paper shelves.

OP asked the price and whatever employee was there just (lazily?) said the most expensive price, which caused the outrage.

I suppose it would save from having the cashier scan it and outrage at the front end from the employees perspective...."they said it was cheaper...I demand to have it for the employee-quoted price!"

If unsure, one cam match the product UPC with the shelf label. Who knows, the employee could have been newly hired off the street recently due to demand.

However, it seems many stores are starting to keep their reserve stocks of paper products on the shelves now so they can start lining in the products in their proper spaces now.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
No Frills wrote: I had to read OP again. The confusion was what many retailers were doing amidst the paper demand spike and spreading what few varieties they had across all the paper shelves.

OP asked the price and whatever employee was there just (lazily?) said the most expensive price, which caused the outrage.

I suppose it would save from having the cashier scan it and outrage at the front end from the employees perspective...."they said it was cheaper...I demand to have it for the employee-quoted price!"

If unsure, one cam match the product UPC with the shelf label. Who knows, the employee could have been newly hired off the street recently due to demand.

However, it seems many stores are starting to keep their reserve stocks of paper products on the shelves now so they can start lining in the products in their proper spaces now.
What you said could be so true but the thing the bother me was most of the toilet paper were near the $19.99 tag . I went back that evening and those paper weren't even in the same location from where they were, they totally removed them placed them further down the shelves making sure the correct price was shown. I'm pretty sure CPO must have said something for them to moved all of them further down the alley. My first inttentions was to point out to the supervisor maybe there a error or something but this supervisor didn't even care as to what I was saying and that when I said ok no problem let CPO handle it.
Last edited by $n00ker on Apr 1st, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
[OP]
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: Post a damm picture at least. How are we suppose to know what you see.
I guess its too hard to ask
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8546 posts
3949 upvotes
Markham
jacnel wrote: Why are you complaining about this to the store employees? They don’t set the damn prices and can’t do shit to lower them. Have a problem? don’t shop there or call consumer protection Ontario and watch nothing happen.
If he didn't complain, the price is still 19.99 and someone will buy it at this price. OP actually save money for people

Its same logic to you: if you don't like OP's post, go to another post, but see, you complain in his post as well. So you two did same:)
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2440 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: If he didn't complain, the price is still 19.99 and someone will buy it at this price. OP actually save money for people

Its same logic to you: if you don't like OP's post, go to another post, but see, you complain in his post as well. So you two did same:)
None of us know that because the OP never tried to buy the product. It was more likely what another poster said and the paper was improperly stocked there showing a higher price but would scan in at the actual price.

The OP makes it seem like he went back there and it was in a completely different isle or something when in reality it was just moved to the correct location further down the shelf.
Sep 13, 2016
503 posts
669 upvotes
GTA
The OP can’t even get the name of the store right so who knows what the price of the toilet paper was if he/she didn’t buy it.
Dec 4, 2007
81 posts
46 upvotes
There is a lot of things really wrong from this thread, that said, please complain to management. Staff follow rules from management and get yelled at for not facing the store at night this means if a shelf is empty to 'face' it with any item nearby. Complain to management about this, Highland farms also is a horrible company to their employees as it's private and thus employees who have been working there for years still make minimum wage. Most other chains have given raises highlands,fortinos and Longos have not or rather most private and small grocery stores have not. They are overworked understaffed and underpaid but STILL go to work in this dangerous crazy times where. Most employees fear for their family and intimated to work from management or don't know their rights to refuse unsafe work. People still overcrowd and being their families and kids to the store during this social distancing. I would complain and scold management and not the staff or even the csr supervisors...just complain to management.
[OP]
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
drago0n wrote: There is a lot of things really wrong from this thread, that said, please complain to management. Staff follow rules from management and get yelled at for not facing the store at night this means if a shelf is empty to 'face' it with any item nearby. Complain to management about this, Highland farms also is a horrible company to their employees as it's private and thus employees who have been working there for years still make minimum wage. Most other chains have given raises highlands,fortinos and Longos have not or rather most private and small grocery stores have not. They are overworked understaffed and underpaid but STILL go to work in this dangerous crazy times where. Most employees fear for their family and intimated to work from management or don't know their rights to refuse unsafe work. People still overcrowd and being their families and kids to the store during this social distancing. I would complain and scold management and not the staff or even the csr supervisors...just complain to management.
That is so true. I wasn't pissed at the employee, it why I asked him where I can speak with the Store manager, when I was paying for my groceries I asked the teller where I can speak with the Manager and she pointed at customer service desk. When asked them there that when the supeervisor said she was in charged. I told her they were breaking the law by price gouging. What she should have done was ask me where or show her what I was referring to but nope she couldn't care less and said that was the normal price for TP. I said no way toilet paper cost $20
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2440 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
drago0n wrote: There is a lot of things really wrong from this thread, that said, please complain to management. Staff follow rules from management and get yelled at for not facing the store at night this means if a shelf is empty to 'face' it with any item nearby. Complain to management about this, Highland farms also is a horrible company to their employees as it's private and thus employees who have been working there for years still make minimum wage. Most other chains have given raises highlands,fortinos and Longos have not or rather most private and small grocery stores have not. They are overworked understaffed and underpaid but STILL go to work in this dangerous crazy times where. Most employees fear for their family and intimated to work from management or don't know their rights to refuse unsafe work. People still overcrowd and being their families and kids to the store during this social distancing. I would complain and scold management and not the staff or even the csr supervisors...just complain to management.
Fortinos is owned by Loblaws and the workers are unionized, I'm uncertain of your other remarks.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3680 posts
2513 upvotes
GTA
$n00ker wrote: That is so true. I wasn't pissed at the employee, it why I asked him where I can speak with the Store manager, when I was paying for my groceries I asked the teller where I can speak with the Manager and she pointed at customer service desk. When asked them there that when the supeervisor said she was in charged. I told her they were breaking the law by price gouging. What she should have done was ask me where or show her what I was referring to but nope she couldn't care less and said that was the normal price for TP. I said no way toilet paper cost $20
Maybe she wasn't fully charged? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: Maybe she wasn't fully charged? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Who knows what her problem was maybe a bad day but when someone is trying to tell you that you are breaking the law I think one should listen
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9589 posts
7177 upvotes
$n00ker wrote: You tell me are they or are they not? Was shopping at this location in Mississauga hwy 10 and notice 24 rolls of Toilet Paper for $19.99 and Paper Towels for 2 rolls $10. Though, there were 3 price tags ( $10.99 , $11.99 and $19.99 ) for the toilet paper on the shelves and the same item was on all the shelves, they only had that one product. I asked the clerk what was the price for the Toilet paper and he said its $19.99. These rolls didn't look to thick or heavy layers. I spoke with the supervisor there and she trying to say its the normal price. I told her its against the law and she basically look at me and didn't care.
I would have done the same thing

You clearly dont understand its not the supervisor who sets the price. Go find head office where they set the prices.