• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2012 8:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 15, 2008
17 posts
1 upvote

Highrise condo reno---need help!

I bought a highrise condo that has old gallery style kitchen. We are thinking of knock down park of the wall (partially contains weight baring wall), but wondering if that involves lot of paper work. We asked the property manager, and her response is that we need a letter from a professional engineering company saying that our plan is feasible and will not disturb the structure of the building. Has anyone done this? Appreciate if you can share your experience.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18997 posts
3655 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
monicapharm wrote: We asked the property manager, and her response is that we need a letter from a professional engineering company saying that our plan is feasible and will not disturb the structure of the building. Has anyone done this? Appreciate if you can share your experience.
Most likely this would be required under the condo by-laws.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
470 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
monicapharm wrote: but wondering if that involves lot of paper work. We asked the property manager, and her response is that we need a letter from a professional engineering company
If you are going to modify a load bearing wall, in any dwelling, you do need plans for what you want to do approved by a currently licensed Professional Engineer.

Is that a lot of paperwork? Perhaps, but there will also be a cost associated with it to have the plans done and stamped by the P.Eng.

You will also need someone to do the work for you, such as a general contractor. This is usually where you will want to start, and they can advise you on what needs to be done.

I would probably recommend avoiding a plan that requires adjusting anything to do with the load bearing walls.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Nov 13, 2008
12 posts
I am also renovating my condo unit and am asking my contractor to turn a wall in my kitchen into a half-wall so it opens up the space. With my wall, yes, I did have to get approval from my property management / condo board. My contractor doesn't think my wall is load bearing but told me that he won't know for sure that it is / isn't load-bearing until he opens up the wall. So a compromise is that if it is load bearing, then we're going to leave a pillar ... you might want to consider that .. ?

Its been alot of headache dealing with the rules of my condo -- I don't think I would ever go through this process again ....
[OP]
Nov 15, 2008
17 posts
1 upvote
Thanks guys for all your input. We may not do this work right away, but definitely down the road.

Is that a lot of paperwork? Perhaps, but there will also be a cost associated with it to have the plans done and stamped by the P.Eng.
----So how much are we talking about here just to get the P.Eng's stamp.You will also need someone to do the work for you, such as a general contractor. This is usually where you will want to start, and they can advise you on what needs to be done.
----Again, do you know a rough price tag for such work?
Jan 23, 2012
1 posts
It is 2012 now, I am wanting to expand the shower area in my existing bath. This will mean moving a wall back into an existing shelving/storage area. I have been told I have to get an engineers report to determine if the wall is load bearing.

So, I am wondering what kind of money I might be talking about for this professional investigative service.