Hikvision Security Camera Equipment

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 6:25 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8229 posts
651 upvotes
Scarborough
TorontoEh wrote: Where did you order the above from? I'm interested in the Colorvu as well.

OP/Others: I talked to one of the installers/camera company and they said they don't deal with hikvision product due to they're banned in US and also there's chance they may be blocked in Canada/by app stores etc. But the other installer/company said there are a lot of name brand/oems made by Hikvision. I'm so confused.
It is shipped from China, I don't think the ban (if banned by Canada) will stop the shipment. It isn't like the illegal drugs the Canadian customs will seize. As for the software and firmware, I found the latest firmware are on the Hikvision European server. The very first IP camera I bought from Amazon was a TP-Link, it had the same feel and look (with TP-Link brand colours) of the web interface as Hikvision. We don't know for sure who are the name brands/oems made by Hikvsion.
Oct 3, 2003
126 posts
12 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: Where did you order the above from? I'm interested in the Colorvu as well.

OP/Others: I talked to one of the installers/camera company and they said they don't deal with hikvision product due to they're banned in US and also there's chance they may be blocked in Canada/by app stores etc. But the other installer/company said there are a lot of name brand/oems made by Hikvision. I'm so confused.
I used OP's suggestion and purchased from the
iSecurity Video Surveillance Store.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8230 posts
1200 upvotes
TO
Thanks everyone, does anyone know if hikvision or their other brands are sold at Costco? I missed a really good deal at AARTech recently for a 4 pack, I want to buy it from someone local that can be returned/troubleshooted if necessary.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
2305 posts
319 upvotes
Thornhill
TorontoEh wrote: Thanks everyone, does anyone know if hikvision or their other brands are sold at Costco? I missed a really good deal at AARTech recently for a 4 pack, I want to buy it from someone local that can be returned/troubleshooted if necessary.
@TorontoEh - No they do not sell HikVision at Costco or any other big box store as far as I know. There are quiet a few people that have ordered these from the seller on AliExpress that I recommended without issue. I haven't tried purchasing locally most because of the difference in price and when I was looking for them any security company I contacted that had these you had to be an 'installer' or have a business account to get them (I don't think that is the case now but). Yes if something happens to the device after you get it from China it can be a pain, but I (ordered many many items) or anyone I have recommended have not had any issues to date. I wouldn't expect much 'troubleshooting' being provided by any local company either, reason why they like selling to installers/people in the industry. Only my take, but I still have full confidence in getting my cameras/NVRs from AliExpress.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8229 posts
651 upvotes
Scarborough
Let say you found a local company is selling a Hikvision for $300, the same camera is $150+$20 duty from an Aliexpress store. If my camera is a lemon, the local company would do an exchange. Aliexpress store? Returning/refund is such a pain (a worst case), I will buy another one. You will pay customs duty if they ship by Fedex or DHL (arriving in 7 days). You can ask for the standard shipping (arriving in 2 months) and you may not get hit by duty.
TorontoEh wrote: I want to buy it from someone local that can be returned/troubleshooted if necessary.
Feb 21, 2008
3 posts
Hello, I need some tech help with my newly purchased Hikvision NVR and Hik Camera. I have a Kuwfi wireless bridge setup to beam wifi from house to the shop, the receiver end of the bridge is connected to a POE Switch. I'd like to either, install the NVR to the Switch in the shop and cameras can be connected directly to NVR, or put the NVR in the house connected to a monitor of some sorts with the cameras in the shop connected to POE Switch. Which option is best, I just need to be able to view cameras from phone or iPad or smart TV if possible.

I tried the NVR in the house and camera out in shop connected to POE Switch but I don't know how to find the camera.

NOTE: I don't know if I setup my wifi bridge properly, when I'm in the shop I have to login to a different wifi network then the house. Is that normal or did I bugger up a setting? Also, I have a spare wifi router, should I plug the wifi bridge receiver into that for added stability for around the shop?

Hopefully that makes sense, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8229 posts
651 upvotes
Scarborough
If the working wireless bridge is in the shop, connect it to the POE switch in the shop. All the cameras are wired up to the POE switch. You make sure the wireless bridge is working. The NVR can be anywhere. However, if you want the NVR in the shop, then you can connect the cameras directly to the ports of the NVR.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4019 posts
1415 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I think we are finally going to upgrade our 2 cameras to some ColorVu Hikvisions. Specifically these ones. Do you guys just order from the store directly or do you have a contact you use? How is this price compared to what it has been?

As well, do any of you have concern with turrets at low level? Our home is a bungalow and we have 2 domes at the moment at both front corners of the home for full front coverage. The one corner you can basically touch it if you're at least 5'10" as our front porch is under it. There's no way around that. The second one you can't reach from a standing position but a shovel, broom, bat, etc would allow you to since again it is only a bungalow home. Do any of you consider that when purchasing? Should I be sticking with domes?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
2305 posts
319 upvotes
Thornhill
ChicoQuente wrote: I think we are finally going to upgrade our 2 cameras to some ColorVu Hikvisions. Specifically these ones. Do you guys just order from the store directly or do you have a contact you use? How is this price compared to what it has been?

As well, do any of you have concern with turrets at low level? Our home is a bungalow and we have 2 domes at the moment at both front corners of the home for full front coverage. The one corner you can basically touch it if you're at least 5'10" as our front porch is under it. There's no way around that. The second one you can't reach from a standing position but a shovel, broom, bat, etc would allow you to since again it is only a bungalow home. Do any of you consider that when purchasing? Should I be sticking with domes?
@ChicoQuente - Unfortunately that link doesn't work for me, but yes I order directly from the company I recommend on the first page of the thread. Camera prices go up and down based on exchange rate, the ColorVu turret from that store is currently showing $181.94 CAD (my last order in November for that same camera was $195.42). Turrets/domes/bullet or any camera within reach from the ground or within striking distance to me would all have the same amount of risk, I don't think a dome camera is any more secure/safe than the others.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4019 posts
1415 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
feejai wrote: @ChicoQuente - Unfortunately that link doesn't work for me, but yes I order directly from the company I recommend on the first page of the thread. Camera prices go up and down based on exchange rate, the ColorVu turret from that store is currently showing $181.94 CAD (my last order in November for that same camera was $195.42). Turrets/domes/bullet or any camera within reach from the ground or within striking distance to me would all have the same amount of risk, I don't think a dome camera is any more secure/safe than the others.
I’m happy with the ColorVu images you posted before. Just want to confirm before I place my order, do you have the 4MP camera? The one I tried to link is: DS-2CD2347G1-LU. Also oddly the link works fine for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
2305 posts
319 upvotes
Thornhill
ChicoQuente wrote: I’m happy with the ColorVu images you posted before. Just want to confirm before I place my order, do you have the 4MP camera? The one I tried to link is: DS-2CD2347G1-LU. Also oddly the link works fine for me.
@ChicoQuente - link worked on my phone, guess it is either an ad blocker or pi-hole blocking the link. But yes that model camera is the one I ordered.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2734 posts
904 upvotes
Windsor
Anyone have rough power consumption numbers on these NVRs? I am debating between Blue Iris as a VM on my 5900x (meaning it would then have to be on all the time), or just get a dedicated NVR (simpler).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.