Home & Garden

Is hikvision wireless security cam any good?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2020 10:58 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2011
494 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK

Is hikvision wireless security cam any good?

So I've been stuck in mainland China for quite a while now due to COVID 19. I am thinking of bringing some security cams to install at home when I go back to Canada (hopefully soon).

Anyone used them before? I don't want to run a POE NVR setup since WiFi setup is way easier and I can view the footage directly on my phone via the app.

The downside to this application is that I need an AC to DC power supply for every single camera. I'll also need to get some weatherproof powerbox from hikvision to setup outside of the house.

The camera cost around 80-100/ea depending on styles and functions.

Any insights?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1261 posts
505 upvotes
avoid wifi cameras.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2011
494 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I've just pulled the trigger on 2 sets of hikvision cams.
Price is too good to pass up.

Set #1
1× 4CH NVR(can be both wireless or POE)
4× bullet style 4mm lens 2K full colour night vision camera (wireless/POE)

Set#2
1× 8CH NVR (can be both wireless or POE)
1× 1.6mm ultra wide angle 2K full colour night vision camera (wireless/POE)
1× 4mm mini bullet 2K full colour night vision camera (wireless/POE)
2× 4mm turret 2K full colour night vision camera (wireless/POE)
1× 4mm 1080P turret night vision camera (wireless/POE)

All cameras are IP66 rated except for the 1080P turret for indoor use

Few 64GB micro SD, 5× weatherproof outdoor power adapter

All the above came to a total of 785CAD equivalent or just a shy of 4000 CNY.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32391 posts
6257 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Avoid wireless when possible. Always use PoE if the option is available.

Don’t bother with microSD cards. Get a proper NVR

Don’t get dome cameras for use outdoors. They are fine indoors. Turret or bullet cameras for out door use only.

Don’t buy cheap cameras, but don’t buy the most expensive either. Plan or swapping out your system every 7 to 10 years. These things run 24 / 7 / 365, you can’t expect them to run forever.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2011
494 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Thanks for the input,
I'll be buying hard drive for the NVR for sure.
The reseller just throw in the SD Cards for me free of charge.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10560 posts
2503 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Any reason for this? I have Dome cameras outside for a few years and I love the

Thanks
Gee wrote: Don’t get dome cameras for use outdoors. They are fine indoors. Turret or bullet cameras for out door use only.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Apr 30, 2013
653 posts
308 upvotes
King City
Where did you guys/gals purchase your camera's from?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32391 posts
6257 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
sickcars wrote: Any reason for this? I have Dome cameras outside for a few years and I love the
The problem is not the camera. It is the outer dome. It gets dirty the plastic cover distorts the video. Especially at night.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1306 posts
744 upvotes
Barrie ON
Gee wrote: Don’t get dome cameras for use outdoors. They are fine indoors. Turret or bullet cameras for out door use only
I guess that is a matter of personal preference. I wouldn't use anything except a domed camera for security reasons.

If a thief can see where a camera is pointed, then he has a much better chance of getting around without being observed.

With a PTZ camera which can be pointed anywhere, it is even more important to keep the thief in a state of uncertainty. This may be enough to make him choose a different house.

Also with a PTZ camera, is that some passerbys, or your next door neighbour could feel uncomfortable if they learn the camera can change its point of view at any time. Just try to follow someone with an exposed PTZ camera as they walk down the street and see what kind of reaction you get.

With regards to dirt and distortion, I have had a Hikivision PTZ domed camera up for 5 years without any need to clean it. Video quality is the best of all cameras that I have owned.

The only problem that I can see is that the IR illuminators inside the dome can sometimes reflect off the dome if the lens is not pressed tight to the dome with a light shroud. My Hikivision is not equipped with IR illuminators, but night vision under the street lights is excellent.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32391 posts
6257 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Rick007 wrote: With a PTZ camera which can be pointed anywhere, it is even more important to keep the thief in a state of uncertainty. This may be enough to make him choose a different house.
I don’t have a PTZ camera. I have a fixed dome camera. A turret camera has the same foot print as a dome camera but has no dome.

I find it works a lot better at night. My dome camera gives me a cloudy picture at night. As you stated, it may be the reflection from the LEDs. But it is totally useless at night.

I don’t have any problems with my bullet cameras or any of the turret cameras
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1900 posts
82 upvotes
Vaughan
Hellfire wrote: I picked up a bunch of Reolink 4K cameras at a good price, worth a look.
I too bought a 4K set on sale from Reolink Canadian store - now I am looking for a mounting box or bracket to hide wires when I install them on the side walls of my house.
Any ideas what work fit best for Reolink D800 cameras?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2003
7792 posts
580 upvotes
Edmonton
fooit wrote: I too bought a 4K set on sale from Reolink Canadian store - now I am looking for a mounting box or bracket to hide wires when I install them on the side walls of my house.
Any ideas what work fit best for Reolink D800 cameras?
I'm just running the wires though conduit. What did you pay for the 4K set?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1900 posts
82 upvotes
Vaughan
Hellfire wrote: I'm just running the wires though conduit
So you drill 1/2" or 5/8 holes into the house or you run 1/2" PVC pipe on the side?
Hellfire wrote: What did you pay for the 4K set?
USD$ 476.29 for RLK8-800D4 (was on sale plus I found a coupon) - posted as CAD$ 649.77 on my Visa.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2003
7792 posts
580 upvotes
Edmonton
fooit wrote: So you drill 1/2" or 5/8 holes into the house or you run 1/2" PVC pipe on the side?

USD$ 476.29 for RLK8-800D4 (was on sale plus I found a coupon) - posted as CAD$ 649.77 on my Visa.
I'm running 1/2" PVC pipes on the side. I paid $450 CAD for RLK8-800B4, $900 CAD for RLK16-800B8 and then purchased an extra 8 x D800 cameras for $600.