Off Topic

Hilarious BBC website - and what a waste of money.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2017 1:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary

Hilarious BBC website - and what a waste of money.

I found that the BBC has a website with all major news articles posted in pidgin English. Like really, if you have internet and can read, will enough people use such a site to justify the cost? CBC next? (Oh wait a minute, we have French sites)
Woman wey take her hand, pack her poo-poo comot di toilet of man wey she dey friend because ''e no gree flush'' enter trouble, after she go try collect di poo-poo back.
The woman wey dey learn gymnastics, just start to waka with Bristol student, Liam Smith, for di first time, when she take fear troway di poo-poo comot for window.
Instead make di thing land for garden, di poo-poo come jam between two windows wey no dey open wide.
Di lady decide to carry her thing back; she use head enter the small space wey di poo-poo bin dey, but na so she come trap for there, and trouble start.
Mr Smith say im no get choice but to call fire service make dem help remove di girl, along with her poo-poo.
Hurricane Irma don kill seven people across di Caribbean; di tropical storm don wipe different island troway; authorities say di number of those wey don die, fit rise.
Dem say overnight, Irma don turn di small island of Barbuda to place wey nobodi fit stay, while St Martin, another Island, don almost destroy finish.
Irma na category five hurricane, wey be di highest level. E mean say Irma dey bring strong wind and rain wey fit comot tree, car and even house.
E first hit di two-island country of Antigua and Barbuda; Prime Minister Gaston Browne say one pickin die for Barbuda, where about 95% of all di building don damage.
"Di island don sink inside water," na wetin Mr Browne talk.
Japan tell im citizens on Tuesay to hide for inside strong building and for underground as North Korea missile pass Hokkaido Island for Japan before im land for sea.
Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe don call dis one serious threat against im country. Im say im don follow President Donald Trump talk and im say both of dem gree say dem must increase pressure on top North Korea head.
North Korea dey carry out many missile test, for 1998 and 2009 North Korea fire rocket pass Japan but dem say na to launch satellite. Dis na di first time dem go fire real ballistic weapon pass Japan.

''We want make Russia close their consulate and other buildings wey dem dey use before 48 hours," na wetin the U.S. State Department don talk.
The United States say before dem open eyes and 48 hours pass, make e be say Russia don lock their consulate wey dey for San Francisco, California and two other satellite buildings wey dey for Washington D.C and New York City.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8552 upvotes
GTHA
BBC starts Pidgin digital service for West Africa audiences
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-40975399

What is Pidgin?
  • A mix of English and local languages enabling people who do not share a common language to communicate
  • West African Pidgin English was a language of commerce spoken along the coast during the Atlantic slave trade in the late 17th and 18th Centuries.
  • Widely used in Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea
  • Primarily an oral language, without a standard agreed written form.
Last edited by tk1000 on Sep 7th, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14293 posts
1170 upvotes
What is the point of this thread?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5031 posts
1403 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: BBC starts Pidgin digital service for West Africa audiences
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-40975399

What is Pidgin?
  • A mix of English and local languages enabling people who do not share a common language to communicate
  • West African Pidgin English was a language of commerce spoken along the coast during the Atlantic slave trade in the late 17th and 18th Centuries.
  • Widely used in Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea
  • Primarily an oral language, without a standard agreed written form.
So how can they post articles on website if there's no standard written form?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
Ojam wrote: What is the point of this thread?
Are you a moderator or just Mr Negative all the time??
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14293 posts
1170 upvotes
Cough wrote: Are you a moderator or just Mr Negative all the time??
So no point?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6491 posts
3562 upvotes
Aurora
I think it's pretty funny to read. I can try to make my own sentences too. Dem poo poos be too beaucoup an not don get flushed!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1177 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
Don't see how bringing news to a larger number of people, not well represented on the internet, and who don't necessarily completely understand standard English is a waste of money. Seems like a good use of funds actually.
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
146 upvotes
abercombie and finch
As long as people enjoy the content it is a good idea to have it. I myself get a great laugh out of pigeon English.
blahhh
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5757 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto
After reading RFD for so many years, Pidgin reads like scholarly journalism.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Oct 27, 2012
359 posts
280 upvotes
Shwa
eh brah why u talk stink bout dat website? me gonna beat ur okole!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3425 posts
637 upvotes
London
No Frills wrote: After reading RFD for so many years, Pidgin reads like scholarly journalism.

lol
Nov 6, 2015
936 posts
531 upvotes
Guelph, ON
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Don't see how bringing news to a larger number of people, not well represented on the internet, and who don't necessarily completely understand standard English is a waste of money. Seems like a good use of funds actually.
I think a better use of the funds would be for classes so these people could become fluent in the official language.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Ojam wrote: So no point?
Mr bellevedere!!! pass the grey pou ponne Lol.

It looks like ebonics. Good God help us, I think that's next.

What's next, money spent on educating each other of Emojis?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: As long as people enjoy the content it is a good idea to have it. I myself get a great laugh out of pigeon English.
That's wacist!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1177 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
JoeBlack23 wrote: I think a better use of the funds would be for classes so these people could become fluent in the official language.
Well the BBC can't easily have those classes in a different country, and that isn't part of the BBC's mandate. However they can reach across the digital divide and fill a void in bringing information to these people as a first step.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
952 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Cough wrote: I found that the BBC has a website with all major news articles posted in pidgin English. Like really, if you have internet and can read, will enough people use such a site to justify the cost? CBC next? (Oh wait a minute, we have French sites)
JoeBlack23 wrote: I think a better use of the funds would be for classes so these people could become fluent in the official language.
Speaking of wasting resources, isn't it HILARIOUS how OP compiled all those articles to mock, but neither of you could afford 30 seconds to check the actual concern?

But in Nigeria it is estimated that some three to five million people use it as their first language in day-to-day interactions.
It is said to be a second language to a much higher number of up to 75 million people in Nigeria alone - about half the population.
And it is also widely spoken in other countries in the region.

But yeah, I'm sure it would be far more cost effective to administer education for around 100 million people in a foreign country, than to hire a small team of local translators.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7243 posts
969 upvotes
Ottawa
Realistically, the only cost of doing this is probably the salary of a single intern or entry-level employee. It's not like theu have a team of highly paid translators doing this, then printing out leather-bound volumes of the day's news to be helicoptered in to stores.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
952 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Realistically, the only cost of doing this is probably the salary of a single intern or entry-level employee. It's not like theu have a team of highly paid translators doing this, then printing out leather-bound volumes of the day's news to be helicoptered in to stores.
They do have a team... of African locals. Their combined salaries might be even less than one intern in the UK.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork