Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1930 posts
707 upvotes
Kitchener

Himedia H8 plus-Stuttering issues

I bought a H8 Plus android box last weekend with the hopes of having it play native UHD files, MKV's that I had on an external HDD ( between 30g-50g in size). I set everything up and it seemed that some of the files wouldn't play in Kodi or the native media player that Himedia provides. Any clue was to why that would be? Their all in MKV container.

Also, the interesting thing is that the device came with Kodi v15 and for the files it was able to play it was able to pass-through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. When I upgraded to Kodi v17 the same files that worked could not pass through DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD. On Kodi v15 the sound through was stuttering a bit when it was passed-through. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on why the new version wouldn't be able to passthrough and why some files wouldn't play at all?

I'm thinking of returning it and just ordering a Q5 or Q10 player as the specs are better than the H8 Plus box. I'm thinking it might have to do with the bitrate the UHD files are encoded in as they are high quality and maybe more processing power is required.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
Octa-core RK3368 CPU - that's your answer

I'd suggest save up and buy a Shield or something. You are just buying these "low-cost" which would most likely become junk in a couple months.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10399 posts
2756 upvotes
Winnipeg
peelhic wrote: I bought a H8 Plus android box last weekend with the hopes of having it play native UHD files, MKV's that I had on an external HDD ( between 30g-50g in size). I set everything up and it seemed that some of the files wouldn't play in Kodi or the native media player that Himedia provides. Any clue was to why that would be? Their all in MKV container.

Also, the interesting thing is that the device came with Kodi v15 and for the files it was able to play it was able to pass-through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. When I upgraded to Kodi v17 the same files that worked could not pass through DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD. On Kodi v15 the sound through was stuttering a bit when it was passed-through. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on why the new version wouldn't be able to passthrough and why some files wouldn't play at all?

I'm thinking of returning it and just ordering a Q5 or Q10 player as the specs are better than the H8 Plus box. I'm thinking it might have to do with the bitrate the UHD files are encoded in as they are high quality and maybe more processing power is required.
Its cr@ppy supported chipset.Its not support by kodi at all. It used to use stagefright codec and hacks to decode. But its all relying now on the amalgamated mediacodec and the api of the android build to work right in kodi 17 and beyond. Basically if its not supported with updated android firmware, it won't work well.

That said you could try looking for a ftmc build. These guys from freaktab that only exist due to cheap android boxes are basically compiling old builds of jarvis with stagefright and amlcodec enabled to continue using their poorly supported android devices. However that doesn't mean it will work right for every box.These guys are the maintence crew of nasa not the rocket scientists.

Look at a xiaomi mi box if you want to save some money or even buy a cheap s905x android box and load the right libreelec build to an sd card and you'll get passthru working. Best to just chuck android and go linux if possible. It be supported longer atleast so your buck will go further.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
peelhic wrote: The H8Plus has that processor. The HImedia players are generally better built than the no name android boxes.

http://himediatech.com/h8Plus.html
You asked why yours stuttered? I gave you the answer, the processor.

Better build isn't much meaningful if the hardware isn't doing what you want it to do.
I know Shield is 2-3 times the price of a box like this, but guaranteed to play pretty much anything you throw at it. Together android TV, official support, etc. It is well worth the price.

There's no need to tinker, or afraid of future support.

Even xiaomi MI box is at the same price and for sure better than this.