• Nov 20th, 2022 7:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto

Hip Hop Discussion Thread

I've seen from past news threads that there are some older hip hop heads lurking around these parts and with other social media sites catering more to the younger generation and top 40 hip hop, I'd love to know what other RFD hip hop heads are into.
What are yall listening to lately or what are your favorite albums of 2021 so far? Share whatever you're listening to, new releases, upcoming concerts and lets talk hip hop music. Linking a few of my favorite recent releases to kick this thread off

121 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
Started watching the recent Wu Tang story TV series last night from S1 and I'm hooked. It's midway through S2 currently and getting great reviews. Anyone else watch this?

Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5621 posts
2684 upvotes
Toronto
Granted I don't listen to as much new hip hop, I'm always down to hear new stuff from old heads, and Nas' King's Disease 2 was amazing, and top form Nas. I also loved Eminem's guest verse on EPMD. LOL is it weird that a lot of my go-to hip hop is still old Nas though? And speaking of Nas, I've never actually listened to any of AZ's stuff...

My favourite Canadian rapper just dropped an album, and no it's not Drake's CLB. I'm currently listening to Shad's latest album Tao, and it's more of what I like from Shad. Great wordplay and witty, conscious rhymes, a lot of self deprecating, funny, nerdy shit, but some crazy lyrical gems in there as well... amidst so-so production that probably will never get played on the radio.

I heard this in the car driving to work and I literally said "Oh shit"
Tech is one big private eye
I just want some heat
Why’s my thermostat’s trying to spy?
Legalized weed but the water’s more privatized
Damn… they leavin us... literally high and dry
That Common track is nice, but for me moreso because of Black Thought! As a long time Roots fan, hearing Thought's flow is music in itself.

I'm gonna add that WuTang show to my list now.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6776 posts
3166 upvotes
Germany
I'm into revisiting my catalogue and Blackalicious is hitting me hard. Love Gift of Gab.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Granted I don't listen to as much new hip hop, I'm always down to hear new stuff from old heads, and Nas' King's Disease 2 was amazing, and top form Nas. I also loved Eminem's guest verse on EPMD. LOL is it weird that a lot of my go-to hip hop is still old Nas though? And speaking of Nas, I've never actually listened to any of AZ's stuff...
Not weird to me because Nas is easily my GOAT and I've seen him live literally 8 times lol. Highly recommend AZ's new album Doe Or Die 2 and you will probably love it as an old head Nas fan as they've always had similar styles. That said there are some newer lyrical hip hop artists that cater to the older audience you should check out like Griselda, Freddie Gibbs and J Cole, even some of the new new young artists like Cordae and Jack Harlow are nice lyrically and make good music
M1GOmigs wrote: My favourite Canadian rapper just dropped an album, and no it's not Drake's CLB. I'm currently listening to Shad's latest album Tao, and it's more of what I like from Shad. Great wordplay and witty, conscious rhymes, a lot of self deprecating, funny, nerdy shit, but some crazy lyrical gems in there as well... amidst so-so production that probably will never get played on the radio.
I honestly only got put on to Shad in the past year or so after watching Hip Hop Evolution on Netflix which he hosts and I highly recommend watching, especially if you're already a fan of him and older hip hop. I don't follow Canadian hip hop too closely anymore but I've always known of him and did check out a few tracks after watching the series which were nice so I'll check out Tao for sure.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote: I'm into revisiting my catalogue and Blackalicious is hitting me hard. Love Gift of Gab.
RIP Gab you just reminded me he passed away earlier this year Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2015
6314 posts
44883 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I sometimes use a random Bible quote, but I guess it's used more like Pulp Fiction, to justify something that isn't at least the majority

but I'm listening to some Chance the Rapper - The Heart and The Tongue and going to continue to listen to more of it as my musical listening leads to some hip hop but I def didn't explore the old school too much, so I guess I'm more casual but like the view and way words are rhymed to signify some emotion and even if you don't agree with something fundamentally, you can sorta allegorize the words to mean something and it all flows

love me some hip hop to listen too, don't know what I'd do without it, maybe punch a wall rather than bop and tap lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5721 posts
4190 upvotes
LaLaLand
I've been a fan of A Tribe Called Quest since the 1980s. I did not even understand what hip hop was back then. I just liked their music. It started with this song,

Back then, the only way to discover new music was to listen to it on the radio. I happened to be in LA at the time. This is also where El Segundo happens to be!
Last edited by batcave on Oct 14th, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: I've been a fan of A Tribe Called Quest since the 1980s. I did not even understand what hip hop was back then. I just liked their music. It started with this song,
I still regularly listen to We got it from Here, amazing album. Conrad Tokyo one of my favorite songs from the past 5 years
M1GOmigs wrote: My favourite Canadian rapper just dropped an album, and no it's not Drake's CLB. I'm currently listening to Shad's latest album Tao, and it's more of what I like from Shad. Great wordplay and witty, conscious rhymes, a lot of self deprecating, funny, nerdy shit, but some crazy lyrical gems in there as well... amidst so-so production that probably will never get played on the radio.

I heard this in the car driving to work and I literally said "Oh shit"
I just gave this a listen and enjoyed the production especially. Doesn't matter if radio plays it, this album has joints and the the 3 title tracks are especially good. I need to digest the lyrics more but I enjoyed this and added to my current albums playlist
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5621 posts
2684 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: I've been a fan of A Tribe Called Quest since the 1980s. I did not even understand what hip hop was back then. I just liked their music. It started with this song,

Back then, the only way to discover new music was to listen to it on the radio. I happened to be in LA at the time. This is also where El Segundo happens to be!
Man, back in the day (like early-mid 90s) I remember there used to be a hip hop show on I think 103.5 or something (some Toronto dance station), but it would play at midnight, so as a kid who didn't have enough money to buy a lot of tapes or CDs, I had to sit there with my tape deck and record it so I could re-listen to many of the songs that never got played on normal radio.

Kids these days have it so much easier Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
ReeGee wrote: I still regularly listen to We got it from Here, amazing album. Conrad Tokyo one of my favorite songs from the past 5 years
Damn thanks for the reminder. It fully slipped my mind that this album even existed but I remember I only really listened to that We got it from here, Chance the Rapper's Coloring Book and Life of Pablo that year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2015
6314 posts
44883 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I started listening to a lot of Kid Ink and than spanned out. That only happened years ago, til than, I still listened to mostly bangers, anthems and rock and roll lol

But my first instance of rap/hip hop came in elementary school when we were playing ruler stick and eraser or rolled into a ball paper ball on the ground cuz it was an off day, and someone got a hold of the radio, and played gangster's paradise by Coolio. Than prob some biggie, listened to some of that, but seemed to like easier music to listen to. Prob never evolved into that genre until later, but found it's got a lot of meaning played back into the life you had, not have I guess. Not exactly but like I said I don't even take the world that fundamentally. It's a masquerade where I'll chat with most stoners cuz it seems their minds want to go higher. Hear some interesting talks but don't bother if I'm busy doing my thing. I guess after a life where paradise hasn't been produced in your life, you take all those struggles and still never give up. Life is never over, but I could do without the money first. For me, it's weed first. Gotta get some piff and than enjoy the rest of life. Hip hop always looks to the future, and makes solid those old bruises of a life that seems to never end, but it begins with you. I still take it that most music evokes a feeling and not all the words fit in, but if you have an open mind, you can figure out how it relates to you, and true, it's real world music, not this, I'm in fantasy, come along for a short burst, and take nothing from it. It's our effort against what is wrong with the world, and lots of people have varied opinions of it. I don't know, just my take, but I'm high as always today lol

But I like I can really like a few songs from someone, but not listen to everything they put out lol. Pick and choose, get a playlist, and get chronic with some music that seems to be like the conversations we should be having, but usually have the best ones by ourselves, some people like to play music that's why I guess lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Damn thanks for the reminder. It fully slipped my mind that this album even existed but I remember I only really listened to that We got it from here, Chance the Rapper's Coloring Book and Life of Pablo that year.
Have you listened to or have thoughts on Donda? It's a bit too long and some tracks could be cut but I think it's by far the best album he's put out since Pablo. Tracks like Off The Grid, Jesus Lord, Keep My Spirit Alive, Pure Souls, Remote Control, Heaven and Hell etc are some of the best songs he's made in years now.
stinastr wrote: But I like I can really like a few songs from someone, but not listen to everything they put out lol. Pick and choose, get a playlist, and get chronic with some music that seems to be like the conversations we should be having, but usually have the best ones by ourselves, some people like to play music that's why I guess lol
Ya I relate to this in that I'll listen to everything my favorite artists put out but picking and choosing a few songs here and there to add to a playlist is where I stand with the majority of the newer popular top 40 rappers. Drake is a perfect example of that, I'll enjoy a few tracks from each album but all of his albums are padded out with lazy formulaic nonsense that doesn't do anything for me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5621 posts
2684 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Have you listened to or have thoughts on Donda? It's a bit too long and some tracks could be cut but I think it's by far the best album he's put out since Pablo. Tracks like Off The Grid, Jesus Lord, Keep My Spirit Alive, Pure Souls, Remote Control, Heaven and Hell etc are some of the best songs he's made in years now.
I listened to it once through but tbh I couldn't get into it and I just haven't tried again. I'm very much one who loved College Dropout era Kanye and while I respect some of his newer stuff and Watch The Throne era Kanye was entertaining, I just found the latest version of Kanye too pretentious for my taste and I just couldn't get into Donda. It felt like it could've and should've been half the length, it also felt like it had unnecessary part 2s of songs that felt so similar to the point where I was confused, and while in the past, religious songs like Jesus Walks felt weird, they were kinda entertaining. Jesus Lord felt super weird to me.

Some of my friends who loved it argued it was a good "rapper getting old and mature" album but I feel like I got that with Nas' Life is Good.

I dunno, maybe I was expecting different. I was expecting to be entertained or intrigued or surprised, but in the end I just felt exhausted, and when I got to the end I was glad to move back to KD2 and even CLB.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: I listened to it once through but tbh I couldn't get into it and I just haven't tried again. I'm very much one who loved College Dropout era Kanye and while I respect some of his newer stuff and Watch The Throne era Kanye was entertaining, I just found the latest version of Kanye too pretentious for my taste and I just couldn't get into Donda. It felt like it could've and should've been half the length, it also felt like it had unnecessary part 2s of songs that felt so similar to the point where I was confused, and while in the past, religious songs like Jesus Walks felt weird, they were kinda entertaining. Jesus Lord felt super weird to me.

Some of my friends who loved it argued it was a good "rapper getting old and mature" album but I feel like I got that with Nas' Life is Good.

I dunno, maybe I was expecting different. I was expecting to be entertained or intrigued or surprised, but in the end I just felt exhausted, and when I got to the end I was glad to move back to KD2 and even CLB.
Honestly the religious and gospel aspect doesn't even register with me and I'm more so listening for the production, overall sound and features which is what makes it hit for me. Now that I think about it I haven't really be listening to Ye for lyrics in like a decade now, at least not since MBDTF. Not to say I don't like any of his lyrics and sometimes he does spit a verse that catches my attention (No more parties in LA, Cops shot the Kid etc) but his appeal for me has been mostly the production and performance aspect of it at least since Yeezus. Like when I'm listening to Jesus Lord it's not his gospel lyrics and message that's hitting with me as much as it is the beat and hearing the The Lox and Jay Elect all shine together. That said I easily understand how what he's doing isn't for everyone especially for people who remember what he was like those first 3 albums but I still fw all of it lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5621 posts
2684 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Honestly the religious and gospel aspect doesn't even register with me and I'm more so listening for the production, overall sound and features which is what makes it hit for me. Now that I think about it I haven't really be listening to Ye for lyrics in like a decade now, at least not since MBDTF. Not to say I don't like any of his lyrics and sometimes he does spit a verse that catches my attention (No more parties in LA, Cops shot the Kid etc) but his appeal for me has been mostly the production and performance aspect of it at least since Yeezus. Like when I'm listening to Jesus Lord it's not his gospel lyrics and message that's hitting with me as much as it is the beat and hearing the The Lox and Jay Elect all shine together. That said I easily understand how what he's doing isn't for everyone especially for people who remember what he was like those first 3 albums but I still fw all of it lol
Haha yeah, like I'm all for innovation and evolution and it's great that he keeps pushing forward, but I'm also such an old head that I feel disconnected from a lot of new hip hop and I go back to what I knew. TBH in terms of "new" artists it's really only Kendrick and Joey Badass and sometimes Action Bronson that I get excited for new albums for, and those dudes aren't even new Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Haha yeah, like I'm all for innovation and evolution and it's great that he keeps pushing forward, but I'm also such an old head that I feel disconnected from a lot of new hip hop and I go back to what I knew. TBH in terms of "new" artists it's really only Kendrick and Joey Badass and sometimes Action Bronson that I get excited for new albums for, and those dudes aren't even new Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Lol all 3 those dudes been around for a decade now. Definitely hyped for new Kendrick tho, it's been way too long and I think he's going to have a lot to say after such a long absence and everything that's happened in the world since. He's gotta know expectations are insanely high and I trust he'll deliver.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2015
6314 posts
44883 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was thinking of something. And since I'm banned from the off topic forum lol, I can't post this in the weed thread.

What if there was a shop that you could either buy the weed because they're already a dispensary (sure that could work), or even a, bring your weed there. And they'd roll you joints that you burn from all sides, and huff and puff like it's a stuffed balloon. Some origami rolling, and lots of joint ends, and something that works to get an even or pretty even burning, and get yourself stoned. I just remember the cross but that's on fire from the side and front panels and burns kinda like wings but there's all kinds on youtube...

I'm sure most people would love to roll them but don't know how. They'd pay for it. Or maybe for a birthday party haha.

Sorry for posting off topic, but weed is surely grounds for talk in a hip hop thread lol
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10244 posts
3752 upvotes
Good idea OP
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9371 posts
6744 upvotes
Toronto
stinastr wrote: I was thinking of something. And since I'm banned from the off topic forum lol, I can't post this in the weed thread.

What if there was a shop that you could either buy the weed because they're already a dispensary (sure that could work), or even a, bring your weed there. And they'd roll you joints that you burn from all sides, and huff and puff like it's a stuffed balloon. Some origami rolling, and lots of joint ends, and something that works to get an even or pretty even burning, and get yourself stoned. I just remember the cross but that's on fire from the side and front panels and burns kinda like wings but there's all kinds on youtube...

I'm sure most people would love to roll them but don't know how. They'd pay for it. Or maybe for a birthday party haha.

Sorry for posting off topic, but weed is surely grounds for talk in a hip hop thread lol
Off topic? I think not fam

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2015
6314 posts
44883 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ReeGee wrote: Off topic? I think not fam

haha, I stick with papers, but got into raws this summer for bigger - longer, slower puffs. Still like my zags for the smaller joints. Don't do cigar rolls anymore, but those origami rolls, I saw a dragon joint with so many parts to light that this thing must have been deeper than a full bong hit, and you'd def have to pass it around. Only really remember the cross joint, but I wouldn't know how to properly attach the sides to a bigger joint to get them pulling and burning out before the big one hits that part and it turns into just a big joint. I know how to roll for years, the high school days of, oh oh, we got some weed, don't know how to roll, put it in an empty cig and burn and waste more of it is done. And I knew some people that could roll than, some people that were like me and couldn't lol. Think there should be one dispensary or head shop at least in downtown toronto, rolling these works of art to burn, or even the simpler ones so you could have a different experience with the weed. Just smoke more I guess, but I rarely do two joints at once, it takes 2 to wake up and get in the mood of today. Maybe we'll see it, maybe not. I tried to find some tobacco you could roll yourself after seeing shops in Miami doing it, but I guess they just have more tobacco down there, here, it's native which I haven't partaken in for a while, or store rolled brands without the branding now. Should try to limit some cigs, and smoke more weed, but been doing too much of being in one place, and I just let go. Gotta reign in on the cigs, and let myself have more fun on the weed. I remember a dagwood I smoked with some guys that rolled it after I bought some weed downtown in a shop that put it in a magazine you bought when you asked for it. Got up to some laundry room in the building late and man, that was the day I couldn't open my eyes cuz they were tearing. Smoked juicy's after that a bit, but I'm a paper fan like wiz. I know kid ink likes them swishers, which are half cigar rolls half papers or something lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)